Adobe Announces Production Premium CS6 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Adobe Announces Production Premium CS6

David: to export to ProRes requires FCP installed on the same system.

Thomas: I have had zero lag issues with ProRes HQ files (from PIX240) and neither does my biz partner on his iMac. I assume something else is causing the lag in your system.

My view on SpeedGrade has been updated after reading the PDF on it. So, for sequences with H264 and/or XDCAM flavors, you must render to DPX to go into SG. You don't have to send to DPX if using supported formats like QT, DPX, various RAW formats (R3D, ARRI, etc). This sounds much better than having to render everything as DPX.

One ridiculous requirement is the Nvidia Quadro SDI card in order to get SDI output. So, all of our BMD Decklink Extreme and Kona boards are useless with SG even though they work with PPro but the Quadro SDI card does not work with PPro.

Last edited by Steve Kalle; April 16th, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #32
Trustee

I would expect that will get updated once Adobe has more time to dig their fingers into SpeedGrade. I'm sure they will eventually implement Mercury Transit since they are usually very keen on suite integration. At some point in the future it may even take more native formats like the rest of the Adobe applications. For those of us who still like a ProRes workflow however it sounds like the quicktime support means a good workflow.

Thanks for the feedback about the ProRes files. The files edit very well but the scrubbing hasn't been as smooth as FCP. Maybe it is something on my MBP. I just reformatted it when I upgraded to Lion but it is possible I have something slightly off.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #33
Major Player

Bummed I purchased my production premium on Jan 31st.
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
One ridiculous requirement is the Nvidia Quadro SDI card in order to get SDI output. So, all of our BMD Decklink Extreme and Kona boards are useless with SG even though they work with PPro but the Quadro SDI card does not work with PPro.
say what??? I didn't see that in the .pdf but could have missed it.

Thats totally ridiculous and completely unacceptable.

I suspect though it was due to getting it out on time which is ok with me for now.
It should be patched with an update asap though.

No aspect of post production requires more attention with proper external monitoring than the color correction / grading step.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #35
Major Player

Hey if anyone at NAB can comment on Encore cs 6 it would be much appreciated.

there was a rather ambiguous announcement about a partnership with DTS.

They say Encore will accept all flavor of DTS streams. They don't say
if Encore or Media Encoder have a DTSHD-MA encoder to make those
streams.

if it does, I could care less if pcm surround is supported.

any info would be helpful.

I can't be the only one excited that there will finally be a truly affordable
Blu-Ray authoring app in Encore that can do proper blu-ray menus and
support the best lossless audio codec.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #36
Regular Crew

@Daniel Browning:

I did some tests on Premiere CS5.5 where I fed it a full-range (0-255) horizontal Ramp image, then viewed on Premiere's Y-Scope (in Color Correction workspace). I found that SuperWhite-clipping only happens for certain Effects, not others. I'm guessing more of the former than the latter (haven't tested them all).

Premiere Effects that can be used to map (scale) rather than clamp (clip) not only SuperWhites but also SuperBlacks to the broadcast-legal range: include Fast Color Corrector, Levels 32-bit (Cineform), Luma Curve, ProcAmp, RGB Curves (Master=Luma). On the other hand if you have SuperWhites but no SuperBlacks (like many popular cameras) then Three-Way Color Corrector can handle that (it clamps only SuperBlacks).

Looks like there's plenty of choice, just need to use the right filters in the right order. I agree it's a pain though...
David Esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Esp View Post
I found that SuperWhite-clipping only happens for certain Effects, not others. I'm guessing more of the former than the latter (haven't tested them all).
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Esp View Post
Looks like there's plenty of choice, just need to use the right filters in the right order. I agree it's a pain though...
Agreed.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #38
Trustee

I have written down a list of effects that don't work with superwhites in PPro and I really wish the Levels effect didn't clip everything above 235 when it goes to 255 - seems broken. I even tested the difference between the Broadcast effect and Levels to see which looked better. I was hoping that Levels looked fine because its accelerated but the Broadcast filter looked much better.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:36 AM   #39
Trustee

Speaking for myself, I am grateful that the folks who do have detailed information on these new Adobe products are taking the time to post it on this forum.
Right here is exactly where I go to find that sort of thing.
I don't mind if the information is posted by outsiders, insiders, or Adobe employees, as long as it's accurate.
When there is an impending release of a new version of a major product that I use- like Production Premium- I am very hungry for any & all information, links, videos, ads, & opinions that I can get my hands on.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:00 AM   #40
Wrangler

...and here's the Main Event. The full announcement of Master Collection and Adobe Creative Cloud:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...cloud-cs6.html

FYI, I just received a press kit, courtesy of my contributing editor status with DV Info Net, with a trial of the latest Master Collection CS6 software, so I installed it and began editing a typical multi-cam shoot, my first real for-a-client project on CS6.

The interface and workflow enhancements may not be a sexy topic or look all that dramatic at a glance, but allowed me to do the edit in not much more than half the time it would have taken me in previous versions. Very intuitive and fluid. All the little things add up.

I know less about Cloud at this point, but it looks like a real boon to tablet users.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:49 AM   #41
New Boot

I've just being taking a look into the Creative Cloud, after seeing a news item on it over at the Register.

If the $50 per month for a 12 month contract sticks, then it'll take something like eight or nine years for it to have been cheaper to buy the boxed product, and any intervening upgrades. Or just over four years if you skip them.

As someone who doesn't own any Adobe products (no, I don't have pirate copies installed either), but was looking into buying them, this looks like a good deal. The only risk is that they decide to jack up prices next year...

None of the commentators have picked up on this yet, but the Creative Cloud license allows you to install the software on two machines. If you've got a Mac and a PC then you can install it on both, as it's not tied into a particular OS like the boxed version. As someone who owns a MacBook, and is going to buy a desktop PC soon, this is very attractive.
Graeme Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:47 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Just checked the " UPGRADE " price from CS5.... $750... So I'm sitting here asking... will the final output from CS6 be any different than the output from CS5 (CS5.5).. of course the answer is no...

So, it looks like I'm skipping out of this one... by the time I would upgrade to CS6 and spend the time and extra cost for all of the 3rd party plug-in programs that I have it will end up costing me a couple thousand $$$..

I could get a new camera for that...

see ya Adobe...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:09 AM   #43
Major Player

Do you have to sign up for the creative cloud when upgrading? I can't figure out how to remove it from my cart?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM   #44
Equal Opportunity Offender

They were about to instigate a last version only eligibility for upgrades this time, except that those of us in the Adobe Video Ambassadors group put up a bit of a stink over it. And Adobe listened.

It will be happening from the next version (CS7) onwards. So you may possibly want to upgrade to CS6 after all. Or dip your toe in with the cloud subscription model as you need to.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Just checked the " UPGRADE " price from CS5.... $750... So I'm sitting here asking... will the final output from CS6 be any different than the output from CS5 (CS5.5).. of course the answer is no...

So, it looks like I'm skipping out of this one... by the time I would upgrade to CS6 and spend the time and extra cost for all of the 3rd party plug-in programs that I have it will end up costing me a couple thousand $$$..

I could get a new camera for that...

see ya Adobe...
I would have to second that. I'll wait for CS7
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite