DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere monitor much brighter than output (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/509785-premiere-monitor-much-brighter-than-output.html)

Rafael Lopes August 4th, 2012 02:10 PM

Premiere monitor much brighter than output

I´ve been doing some tests n Premiere CS5.5 and everything looks perfect on the program screen, but when I export the final file it looks way darker and with much more contrast (I thought it could be the computer monitor but when I´ve viewed the file on my hdtv it still looked way darker and with much more contrast. I will never be able to CC correctly this way.
How can I fix this??

Ann Bens August 4th, 2012 02:26 PM

Re: Premiere monitor much brighter than output

For correct CC you need to use the build in scopes (and preferably a calibrated monitor).

Rafael Lopes August 4th, 2012 02:33 PM

But there has to be a way to use Composit Monitor and get the same brightness and contrast I get on my computer monitor for everything else (which matches what I see on my 2 hdtvs).

Kawika Ohumukini August 4th, 2012 05:45 PM

Does the video on the Output Tab on the Export Media screen also look darker? That would be a tip that there's an issue.

Rafael Lopes August 4th, 2012 06:13 PM

No, the output monitor on the media export looks exactly like the image on Premiere's monitor.
There has to be a way to make the monitor image darker or brighter without touching anything else.

Ann Bens August 5th, 2012 04:00 AM

If the image looks different on your tv you need to adjust the tv.

Frank Glencairn August 5th, 2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 1746933)
I´ve been doing some tests n Premiere CS5.5 and everything looks perfect on the program screen, but when I export the final file it looks way darker and with much more contrast (I thought it could be the computer monitor but when I´ve viewed the file on my hdtv it still looked way darker and with much more contrast. I will never be able to CC correctly this way.
How can I fix this??

You TV uses REC 709 colorspace and an other gamma, than your computer monitor.
Calibrate your computer monitor to those specs and your are fine.
Or use the second output of your graphic card ,to drive a second Coputer monitor - than you can route a second program window (fullscreen) to it. Also needs 709 colibration though.

Also check this out, should help you to calibrate your output: http://blip.tv/phil-crawley/colourim...for-tv-6041222

Frank

Rafael Lopes August 5th, 2012 05:14 AM

I don´t think you guys got it. It ONLY looks brighter on Premiere. When I export the file and play on the COMPUTER it looks darker (like it does on any other tv or computer I´ve played this file on). sO I have find a way to make PREMIERE's in program monitor screen to look the same way the laptop monitor does, not the other way around. If I play any file on my laptop and on other computers and tvs they all look the same. The problem is premiere.

Battle Vaughan August 5th, 2012 05:51 PM

Would help to know what kind of graphics card you're using and if you are using any third-party calibration or monitor tools. Sounds like you have something messing with the video lookup tables that only affects Premiere, perhaps.

Rafael Lopes August 5th, 2012 05:56 PM

GeForce GT 540M.
I have never calibrated the laptop monitor.
This should be easy. I refuse to believe that inside Premiere there ins´t an option to increase/decrease the brightness/contrast of it's monitor.

Battle Vaughan August 5th, 2012 09:42 PM

Shot in the dark, then. Right click on the desktop, select nVidia control panel, go to Display >adjust desktop color settings and see if the "Other applications control color settings" is selected. This would let Premiere --- which does not, as far as I can discover, have an independent adjustment for the video playbacks --- control it's own color. (The display lighter/darker preference does not affect the video.)

Failing that, maybe try the opposite, use the nVidia settings and calibrate your monitor visually using the provided sample images, and see if that helps. Remember your original settings so you can change back. Then go further down to Video > adjust video color settings and decide if you want to use the video player settings --- which in the case of Premiere, apparently you can't change, or if so, someone please jump in here ---- or try adjusting your video with the nVidia settings, in which case all your videos should be controlled by the nVidia panel and look the same. Again, remember your settings so you can put things back if this doesn't work out.

Why the video settings would affect only Premiere I do not understand, but these checks are quick to make and easily reversable if they don't help.

PS: do you have any add-ons, like a capture card that might be loading its own video look-up table?

Harm Millaard August 6th, 2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 1747082)
GeForce GT 540M.
I have never calibrated the laptop monitor.
This should be easy.

Laptop monitors are notoriously bad with regards to the factory default 'calibration', which is not calibrated at all. But it is easy to do. Get a Spyder4ELITE - Datacolor Imaging Solutions - Datacolor Imaging Solutions and calibrate your monitor.

Rafael Lopes August 6th, 2012 04:28 AM

Guys, again, the problem is with Premiere. I can darken or brighten my laptop monitor as much as I want but the monitor on Premiere never matches the one on my laptop. BTW, I have other videos on my laptop and they look perfect on it, on other computers and other TVs.

Here is an example of the issue. On the left you can see the video that I exported and on the right you can the the video on Premiere's video monitor (which is how I´d like the video to look when exported).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8422/7...2a2c2252_b.jpg

Harm Millaard August 6th, 2012 04:37 AM

From the VLC FAQ section:

Videos are too dark

Often this is caused by video hardware overlay problems:

If it is only one video then use the "Settings" menu, option "Extended GUI" and try to increase the Gamma value in the "Video" tab.
Check your video card settings and turn off hardware video overlay. If the videos now play with proper lighting, then deinstalling and reinstalling the video drivers might help.

Rafael Lopes August 6th, 2012 04:41 AM

If it was a problem with the media player it would look good on the tvs where I also tested. I´ve tried with media player classic and windows media player and it still looks dark.