DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS6 Mac vs. Windows Difference (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/510116-cs6-mac-vs-windows-difference.html)

Andrew Clark August 20th, 2012 11:51 AM

CS6 Mac vs. Windows Difference

Hello -

(If this has already been posted, please advise where and accept my apologies!!)

Are there any major differences between the Mac version and Windows version of CS6?

Appreciate any insight, tips and/or advice in regards to this.

Andy Wilkinson August 20th, 2012 12:15 PM

Re: CS6 Mac vs. Windows Difference

There is a huge thread on the official Adobe Premier Pro forum (just google it) where a seemingly large number of people on Macs are having serious issues with CS6 (when 5.5.2 - which is what I'm on on my Mac Pro works just fine, indeed rather well!). Some claim the Windows version is a lot more stable. I really don't know if that is true or not. There are also some people that have posted around the web and on DVInfo that are running CS6 on Macs just fine.

I don't know.... but for now I'm sticking with Production Premium 5.5.2 - it's a joy to use, fast and reliable and I'm so glad I switched from FCS.

Regarding functionality differences between the Windows and Mac platforms, I believe there are a few minor functionality differences (mainly keyboard shortcuts etc.) - but I've never run CS (full suite) on my Windows 7 box, just Photoshop, so others would have to answer that (if that's what you're asking).

Jason Lowe August 20th, 2012 01:47 PM

I just started playing with Premiere CS 6 with some HF-G10 files saved in an FCP X camera archive. Premiere sees the .mts files like any other file in a folder, but encoding filters is slow and it keeps choking on one of the clips. Thought it was a FCP/Premiere compatibility thing (still might be the case) but I'll have to find the adobe thead now.

Battle Vaughan August 20th, 2012 02:49 PM

This link may help: Adobe Premiere Pro * Cross-platform workflow

There are some windows-only effects, and some other variations which this paper spells out.

Kenyon Gerbrandt August 20th, 2012 10:05 PM

The link above is a great summary. I have been running CS6 for Mac based on a cloud subscription since May. The only bug I've really encountered was with Boris' optical stabilizer plug in, but they (Boris) have released an update to address that. I've had some issue with secondary monitor playback but I attribute that to my graphics card (need to update the card on my Mac Pro). The biggest difference in my opinion is in the output from media encoder. Files rendered on a windows machine are going to be windows friendly and files rendered on a Mac are Mac friendly. Only an issue if you are working cross platform. Overall I've been pleased with CS6.

Jordan Hooper August 21st, 2012 06:16 PM

If you're in the market for a new computer make sure to do your homework regarding graphics cards, in particular which ones can take full advantage of Adobe engines.

John Kemper September 7th, 2012 10:00 AM

I use CS6 on both a mac and PC (mac for laptop use and PC for desktop). I have noticed that CS6 is slightly more stable on PC than Mac, but hardly. However, each has a specific advantage over the other.

Mac CS6 has apple pro res which is just a great intermediate format.

PC has more options for hardware and video cards.

The poster above mentioned being weary of what video card you buy to make sure it works with Adobe's new rendering issue (this isn't necessary, but greatly increases general workflow speed, everything from previewing to rendering). What they didn't mention is that there is a hack that can be applied in Windows (possibly in Mac as well, though I haven't heard of such a thing) which tells Premiere that the video card is capable of using the Mercury Playback Engine.

I think only the quadro series by Nvidia is listed under the supported cards for the MPE. However, any Nvidia card with CUDA cores can run it, they just have to be added to the list. I'm currently using a new GTX 670 that way out performs my old Quadro CX in everything but previewing 10-bit color.

If you went on to Apple's website right now and buit yourself the most kicking mac pro you could, the best video card you could get them to put in it is 3 years old and doesn't use the MPE.

Oh, and finally. CS6 project files can be used on both mac and pc. I do almost all of my photoshop and Audition work on Mac and just bring the files I need over to PC where I use Premiere, AE, and Speedgrade.

So, there are the trade offs. Hope there was some useful information in all this rambling

Pete Bauer September 8th, 2012 03:32 PM

Didn't want to hijack the thread with my off-topic questions, so moved a few posts to a new discussion:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...e-systems.html

This is one of the very few "PC vs Mac" threads that is actually polite, factual, and helpful so please do continue in that vein! Sorry for the interruption.

Andrew Clark September 10th, 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kemper (Post 1751842)
....The poster above mentioned being weary of what video card you buy to make sure it works with Adobe's new rendering issue (this isn't necessary, but greatly increases general workflow speed, everything from previewing to rendering). What they didn't mention is that there is a hack that can be applied in Windows (possibly in Mac as well, though I haven't heard of such a thing) which tells Premiere that the video card is capable of using the Mercury Playback Engine....

I was wondering about this too. I've seen the "hack" posted for Windows based machines but was curious to know if it could be applied to a Mac computer (with a suitable nVidia card of course).

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kemper (Post 1751842)
....Oh, and finally. CS6 project files can be used on both mac and pc. I do almost all of my photoshop and Audition work on Mac and just bring the files I need over to PC where I use Premiere, AE, and Speedgrade.....

That's nice to know as well; Thanks John!!

Marcus Durham September 13th, 2012 08:16 AM

I have a new Macbook Pro with a NVidia card. The "hack" does work.

What is surprising is that Adobe haven't certified the card for such a widely available machine.

Andy Wilkinson September 13th, 2012 09:29 AM

I'm interested in how you get on with this. Is that a Retina MBP?

I may take the upgrade plunge from (CS 5.5.2) to CS6 soon, budget allowing, testing the water on a new Retina MBP before I consider upgrading my main editing bay (Mac Pro).

Andrew Clark September 13th, 2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Durham (Post 1753184)
I have a new Macbook Pro with a NVidia card. The "hack" does work.

What is surprising is that Adobe haven't certified the card for such a widely available machine.

Thanks Marcus....that's nice to know. So are you using the "hack" on the Mac side or Windows side (via Bootcamp)?

Marcus Durham September 14th, 2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1753195)
I'm interested in how you get on with this. Is that a Retina MBP?

I may take the upgrade plunge from (CS 5.5.2) to CS6 soon, budget allowing, testing the water on a new Retina MBP before I consider upgrading my main editing bay (Mac Pro).

It's a Retina MBP running Mountain Lion.

One mild gotcha is that the Macbook can switch between integrated graphics and the NVidia card at will to save battery. Good idea to disable this in the power menu as the switching process causes Premiere to get upset and you'll need to restart it. You won't lose data, but you do lose your video windows as presumably the switching causes Premiere to have a WTF moment.

Also if you are trying to run CUDA but its running off the integrated card obviously it won't work in any case. So just disable the switching (it's easily done, just a tick box).

Marcus Durham September 14th, 2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Clark (Post 1753209)
Thanks Marcus....that's nice to know. So are you using the "hack" on the Mac side or Windows side (via Bootcamp)?

I'm trying to think what kind of sadist would spend the kind of money a retina Mac costs only to run Windows on it. :-)