DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Production Premium CS6 and Windows 8? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/511675-adobe-production-premium-cs6-windows-8-a.html)

Danie Pretorius October 25th, 2012 07:42 AM

Adobe Production Premium CS6 and Windows 8?

Hi all

As Windows 8 is being launched tomorrow (here in South Africa) I wonder if anybody has tested performance, etc. of Adobe CS Production Premium (especially Premiere Pro/After Effects/Media Encoder) on Win 8?

According to Adobe the Premiere Update 6.0.3 added "Windows 8 Certification". Not sure how well it works!

Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.2/6.0.3) update: HiDPI for Retina Display, bug fixes, and new supported GPUs Premiere Pro work area

As there is a promotion running, I can upgrade from Windows 7 (64bit) to WIndows 8 (64 bit) for a lot less during the promotion period but I dont want to upgrade if there are some issues with CS6 and Win 8

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Trevor Dennis October 26th, 2012 03:58 AM

Re: Adobe Production Premium CS6 and Windows 8?

I am not sure if Windows 8 makes a lot of sense for a desktop system. I don't intend upgrading unless I discover a compelling argument to do so.

Danie Pretorius October 26th, 2012 08:14 AM

Thanks Trevor! That was my thought as well although I have read that Windows 8 does perform 'better' than Windows 7; it has better handling of memory management (above 16GB), etc. so it is not WOW (yet). And yes, the market is moving twards the touch screens!

Regards

Greg Clark October 26th, 2012 09:28 AM

The best part is that we can use the desktop version of Windows 8 and ignore the Tablet like touch. Reviews so far are positive.
I hope it works with Premiere CS 5.5?

Ann Bens October 26th, 2012 09:40 AM

I would stay away from W8 until sp1 is released....

Trevor Dennis October 26th, 2012 04:00 PM

Would it need a clean instaltion, or could you upgrade without having to reinstall everything on your system? I know that the former option would almost certainly lead to a cleaner leaner, and faster system, but I'd dread having to start from scratch. Multiple drives, raid drivers, complex back-up systems... etc. [shudder]

Kevin Currie October 27th, 2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Bens (Post 1760774)
I would stay away from W8 until sp1 is released....

Agreed. I never go with a new OS as soon as it is released. They need time to work out all of the bugs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis
Would it need a clean instaltion, or could you upgrade without having to reinstall everything on your system? I know that the former option would almost certainly lead to a cleaner leaner, and faster system, but I'd dread having to start from scratch. Multiple drives, raid drivers, complex back-up systems... etc. [shudder]

I believe Windows 7 had that option, but I went with the clean install since Vista was so buggy and I wanted to make sure there was no trace left. :)

Leslie Wand October 27th, 2012 03:44 AM

ALWAYS a clean install of a new os. doesn't matter how well organized both you and m$ are, there's always that one .dll, that one reg entry, that one something or other that's going to give you endless sleepless nights ;-(

Harm Millaard October 27th, 2012 04:29 AM

I have been using Windows 8-64 Enterprise for a couple of weeks on a new system, so it was a clean install. Performance wise there is no difference with Win7, apart from quicker startup. With PR there is no difference and everything works without problems. It requires some getting used to because the Apps interface is quite different. There is no Start menu anymore and security has been beefed up, which can make it a hassle to set security access rights to your liking and requires reverting to the CMD line ATTRIB command.

I have posted the first benchmark results with CS6 and Win8 on Benchmark Results where it now ranks #2 overall and #1 with CS6 by a wide margin. I am still in the process of writing the tuning tips for Win8, but they will appear here in the next couple of days, see Final Results

Danie Pretorius October 27th, 2012 06:50 AM

Thanks all for the information and interesting feedback Harm, thanks!

Harm Millaard October 27th, 2012 12:43 PM

You have seen that I also shopped in South Africa for the DemciFlex filters?

Trevor Dennis November 1st, 2012 02:58 PM

It looks like there is a known display problem with Photoshop CS6 and Windows 8

Flickr: Discussing Windows 8 Issues with CS6 in Photoshop Support Group

John Nack on Adobe : Windows 8, Photoshop CS6, and Lightroom

But fixable
Image canvas is transparent or flickers (Windows 8)