DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   24p DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/512337-24p-dvd.html)

Jason Garrett November 27th, 2012 11:17 AM

24p DVD

I see a thread on this topic in another suite forum, but thought maybe I better ask here since I’m using Adobe. I am a total amateur with all of this as some may have noticed if you’ve seen my posts, but it’s just a ‘hobby’ for me. I volunteered to make a video for a classmate’s memorial ceremony and used a Canon G1X as my ‘B’ camera – which only shoots 24p and I set my camcorder to 24p to match.

Well, great, but now what? I didn’t really think about distributing this to the family and friends who might not be a/v aficionados and have Wal-Mart special DVD players, etc. I hoped to keep everything 24p and output to Blu-ray and DVD and I did. It plays beautifully (technically speaking) on my budget Panny DMP-BD655K connected via HDMI in both Blu-ray and DVD. I notice that on my old Panny CP 72 which is supposed to be a pretty hot budget progressive player from its day – using component cables hooked to the same tv (Samsung 40” LCD 1080p, etc.) – the video looks pretty bad in comparison. I’m not sure what’s happening there. Maybe somebody can give me some tips on why.

The bigger concern is that my 24p DVD’s might not play on really cheap dvd players or do ALL dvd players do their own 3:2 pull-down? Excuse me if I’m mistaken in my use of terminology. It seems that I read that all Hollywood DVD releases are in 24p? So, if that is the case then I presume ALL DVD players should be doing their own 3:2 pull-down?

Would the quality and compatibility be improved to perform a conversion in Premiere for DVD to 29.97 applying the 2:3 pull-down there instead? If I’m mistaken in my terminology excuse me – I’m at work and I’m not double checking everything I’m writing here.

Taky Cheung November 28th, 2012 10:48 PM

Re: 24p DVD

Leave all your footage at 24p. don't convert to 30p in Premiere. That will "hard" insert blended frames causing blurry motion.

Your encoder will encode your 24p footage to 29.97fps for DVD compliant. Thus all DVD players can play back on TV without problems. Those additionals frames are "flagged". For those with Progressive DVD player connected through HDMI or Component to flat screen, the DVD player will detect those flagged frames and removed them on the fly. Thus, they can watch the pure 24p stream from the flagged 29.97 stream.

BluRay is different. 24P is part of BD spec.

Jason Garrett November 29th, 2012 02:11 AM

Re: 24p DVD

Thanks for responding – I’ve got a lot of researching to do on this apparently. I got hit with this project short notice and never contemplated all of this before. I did leave it all 24p for DVD and I burned it 24p or at least I think I did. Hmmmm. I’m going to have to review this more carefully. My dvd encodes read 29.97 in Windows Explorer now that I check them, but they read 23.97 in Encore and I know they didn’t transcode in the build. I’m confused and it’s late.

For that matter – I’ve never been aware that my Hollywood DVD’s were 24p? I just turned it on in my Blu-ray player tonight. So, I’m pretty thoroughly confused all around. I’ve got a lot of reading up to do on this.