DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Upgrade to Production Premium CS6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/515059-upgrade-production-premium-cs6.html)

Larry Kropp March 15th, 2013 12:34 AM

Upgrade to Production Premium CS6

I want to upgrade from Production Premium CS5.5 to CS6 but what do I do with all the CS 5.5 programs I have
on my computer like After Effects, Audition, Photo Shop etc? Will CS 6.0 simply overwrite them or do I have to uninstall them? Thanks.

Larry

Harm Millaard March 15th, 2013 03:31 AM

Re: Upgrade to Production Premium CS6

Larry,

If you have finished all your projects in CS5.5, you can uninstall it before you install CS6. It is always a risk to uninstall an older version when a newer one is already installed. No, CS6 will not overwrite CS5.5 and they can happily coexist on the same disk. I have three different version of the Master Collection installed on one of my systems and never had any problems.

Larry Kropp March 15th, 2013 03:02 PM

I'm thinking of leaving CS5.5 on and just installing CS 6.0. However, am I using disc space that I s/be
saving for other projects? If I do uninstall CS5.5 first will CS 6.0 still load ok since this is a upgrade to
CS5.5 so would it still have to be on the computer so CS6.0 can see it so it knows it is an upgrade to CS5.5?

Duane Adam March 15th, 2013 09:09 PM

Isn't 6.5 available in a few weeks?

Panagiotis Raris March 15th, 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Kropp (Post 1784604)
I'm thinking of leaving CS5.5 on and just installing CS 6.0. However, am I using disc space that I s/be
saving for other projects? If I do uninstall CS5.5 first will CS 6.0 still load ok since this is a upgrade to
CS5.5 so would it still have to be on the computer so CS6.0 can see it so it knows it is an upgrade to CS5.5?

just cs5 to cs6 PP/AE or full suite?

I have CS5 suite installed on secondary editing machine with CS6 premiere pro installed; works fine. newer machine i uninstalled cs5 and installed cs6 suite. plugins still need manually moved or reinstalled, but otherwise its pretty easy.

if you are scared something bad will happen, clone your boot/os/install drive and save it, install the new stuff and if there are crazy problems, you have the cloned drive to work from. i always keep a cloned 'safe' boot/install/os drive on a spare disk for these reasons.

Trevor Dennis March 16th, 2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 1784659)
Isn't 6.5 available in a few weeks?

I bet that had a few people rushing to Google.

Paul R Johnson March 16th, 2013 07:57 AM

The size of the programme files is trivial compared to the huge size of the video files, so I's not even worry about it. If your disk space is tight, get bigger ones!

Al Bergstein March 22nd, 2013 01:17 AM

You can install both on the same machine. 6.0 doesn't overwrite 5.5 (Thank you Adobe!). When you finally feel like uninstalling 5.5, you can without it affecting 6.0. Adobe has changed their license policies, due to the fact that you no longer need to order a separate license. Your 6.0 license will show as MP for Multi platform.

This allows you to continue to use 5.5. projects with no problem, until you *need* and want to upgrade.

I upgraded to 6.0 last fall, and I've just completed tearing down an older Mac Pro, migrating it's contents and the contents of a Mac Book Pro 13" to a MBP 15". So I'm familiar with these issues as of this week.

Ann Bens March 22nd, 2013 07:02 AM

< 6.0 doesn't overwrite 5.5 (Thank you Adobe!) >

Every version is a seperate one.
A new version has never overwritten an older version.
5.5 does not overwrite 5.0 etc.
An update is a different matter. 6.01, 6.02, 6.03.
They are cumulative.

Larry Kropp March 25th, 2013 08:30 PM

So if I understand this correctly I can buy 6.0 now and install it. However, I can still continue to use 5.5 while I learn and become comfortable with 6.0. Meaning I can be doing one project in 6.0 and another in 5.5.
Then when I am totally comfortable with 6.0 I can delete 5.5 but I will still be able to open 5.5 projects in 6.0. If this is all correct this would be perfect!

Larry

Al Bergstein March 25th, 2013 10:48 PM

Yes. I just have done this for the last six months. No problem whatsoever.