DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Different video settings -- will work in Encore? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/522768-different-video-settings-will-work-encore.html)

Ron McKinney April 15th, 2014 11:15 AM

Different video settings -- will work in Encore?

I shoot with a Nikon D4 and a Canon XL-H1, and somehow in my most recent wedding that I'm wrapping up, I totally got the footage completely wrong between the two of them. The Canon shot at 1440x1080 at 23.976 fps, and the Nikon shot at 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps.

On top of that, when I imported the sequences into Encore to wrap up the DVD, I noticed two sequences were at 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps, one was at 1440x1080 at 23.976 fps, and the last one was at 1280x1080 at 23.976 fps.

So what do I do at this point? Do I go back to Premiere, create new sequences and get them all on one size and fps? Or will Encore figure this out and do it for me? I'm a little worried about burning this DVD, as I get the DVDs printed by my printer, and I don't want to screw this up and wait for a new DVD.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Ron

Battle Vaughan April 15th, 2014 11:55 AM

Re: Different video settings -- will work in Encore?

Without testing this, some thoughts: Encore will transcode your footage but has always seemed less able than Premiere at this. I'm not sure if Encore can transcode mixed footage.

But recent versions of Premiere happily accept mixed modes on the timeline, set your sequence to your basic setting and let it transcode the odd ones; or, failing that, you can select the odd clips in the project browser and use file>interpret footage function to set them right. My instincts are to export an mpeg2-dvd file out of Premiere through Media Encoder, test it and then let Encore get a file that has fewer potential problems. Someone with more experience at Encore may set me right on this....

Ron McKinney April 15th, 2014 12:02 PM

Those are good suggestions, I appreciate it.

Another thought I had was: Since I'm burning to a DVD, I don't think it's going to be 1920x1080. So Encore has to be down-sizing these. But my main concern is that each has a significantly different aspect ratio, just not sure how that will impact it. Right now, I'm thinking I may just export to MPEG-2 like you suggested.

Battle Vaughan April 15th, 2014 03:11 PM

the 1440x1080 is hdv standard, with a non-square pixel ratio, so it should evolve into a standard 16:9 format on transcoding. 1280x1080 is, iirc DVCPRO HD anamorphic format which should also render as 16:9, although I have no direct experience with it. Encore should accept your mpeg-2-DVD export from Premiere without needing further transcoding. Note in the current Media Encoder there is an option for MPEG2 and a separate MPEG2-DVD spec. I have output 1280x720 mpeg2-dvd files to encore without having them re-transcoded. The dvd spec will demux your audio into a separate file, just drag both files to the encore timeline...

Peter Manojlovic April 15th, 2014 03:45 PM

I believe Encore uses the AME encoding engine anyways, with presets already in place. So as long as the files are able to playback correctly within Encore, then you should be okay to go with the generic project settings, and have it encode correctly within the timeline..

23.976 fps footage will be hard interlaced to 29.97fps anyways...
If it's a Standard Def DVD export, then the AME engine will correctly downrez the frames..

You should be able to export as a folder or ISO before burning to disc..
Open a DVD software player (PowerDVD, WinDVD etc...) and playback with these files will guarantee that a correct burn will happen..