DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Are people still using Encore? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/529890-people-still-using-encore.html)

Diana Fisk September 29th, 2015 07:01 PM

Are people still using Encore?

Hi everyone

I have the latest version of Premiere on my MacBook and an older version of Premiere and Encore on an iMac. Currently I edit a project on my MacBook, export and take files over to my iMac and create a DVD on Encore. I'm finding this pretty painful.

Are people still using Encore or is there another authoring program that might work as well?

I have looked at installing a previous version of encore on my MacBook to enable me to get premiere but all the instructions I have found for this seem to be out of date..

Help! Please!

Thank you
Diana

Stephen Brenner September 29th, 2015 10:18 PM

Re: Are people still using Encore?

I still use it and haven't felt compelled to find something else.

Robert Young September 29th, 2015 10:54 PM

I use Encore CS 6 fairly frequently to deliver on Blu Ray.
If you are a CC subscriber and have the serial number for CS 6 I think you can still download & activate Encore CS6 from the Adobe site, or maybe via the CC app.

Kyle Root September 30th, 2015 09:01 AM

I still use Encore.

I don't do many projects and since I already know how to use it, I still do. lol

I'm on Adobe CC as well.

Diana Fisk September 30th, 2015 06:11 PM

Ok great thanks for the feedback! I've just downloaded it from CS6 :)

Roy Alexander October 12th, 2015 10:10 AM

I still use encore to make a disc image from CS5 premiere pro. But burn a Blu-ray or DVD disc from the disc image using IMGburn.

Steve Bleasdale October 23rd, 2015 05:02 AM

Encore is the best tops in fact for me...

Nate Haustein October 23rd, 2015 08:11 AM

I much prefer using good old Apple DVD Studio Pro, but for BluRays it's encore. Or I should say, a very specific version of Encore running on a Firewire target drive booted to OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. In other words, encore has been a real headache from day one, but there's not a lot of other options out there from my research.

Patrick Janka October 28th, 2015 10:14 PM

I still use Encore CS6. I'm on CC.

David Barnett May 24th, 2016 07:35 AM

Bumping a bit of an older thread, but it's the same topic so here goes:

I had missing HD space from numerous video folders of weddings I deleted, but noticed they were still being considered as space on my HD, tried many ways to delete them, none seemed to work. That, plus my PC was running a bit slower, I reinstalled Windows 7. All was great, until I went to burn a DVD in Encore (CS4), when I got an error Encode failed. Pretty generic, forums & google searches tell me I need to install a patch via a Roxio link, which I seem to recall doing years ago when I first got CS4, however the links are now dead & only redirect to Corels Home page, I suppose they bought them out.

Anyway, I think my DVD burning ability days are over with CS4, unfortunately, as I really only burn about 7-8 discs a year, but I need to. I mostly do weddings, and while I could probably sway a few onto digital only, I couldn't sway them all. I also have it installed on my laptop, which is upgraded to Win 10, and that receives the same error message, which at least tells me it's not just a Win 7 problem, and it's not a problem with my DVD burner/driver.

So, my options seem to be either buying/leasing ($19/mo) Premiere CC (I've read that it doesn't come with Encore, but I can select "Previous Version", then install CS6 which comes with Encore, then upgrade Premiere to CC. Sounds cumbersome. OR, I could purchase something like Sony DVD Architect or something, 3rd party software. Not ideal, as I'm not sure of the workflow exactly, do I burn to mpeg2/mpeg4 and then insert it into the software and create my menu/chapters etc and burn? It wouldn't inherit the chapter markets would it, do I write down the timeline points? Just seems like an added step in addition to the encoded the file, then importing into the 3rd party software.

Anyway, anyone have any luck with either, or other suggestions. Sucks for such a small nuisance, on the flip side maybe its time. I could look to some Red Giant color corrections to enhance my projects, I feel it's time I improve on that for myself.

Kyle Root May 24th, 2016 07:43 AM

That's an interesting issue. Not sure why you'd have to install a Roxio thing for Adobe to work...

I have Encore 6 on my desktop and Encore 5 on my laptop.

If you're doing any kind of regular work on videos, I think paying the monthly fee for the CC subscription is worth it. I personally like having access to Adobe Acrobat for document creation for clients and also Speedgrade and Audition.

The color correction within Premiere is getting to be very good, and eliminates the need for a lot of 3rd party stuff.

David Barnett May 24th, 2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Root (Post 1915110)
That's an interesting issue. Not sure why you'd have to install a Roxio thing for Adobe to work...

I have Encore 6 on my desktop and Encore 5 on my laptop.

If you're doing any kind of regular work on videos, I think paying the monthly fee for the CC subscription is worth it. I personally like having access to Adobe Acrobat for document creation for clients and also Speedgrade and Audition.

The color correction within Premiere is getting to be very good, and eliminates the need for a lot of 3rd party stuff.

Thanks for that feedback, a bit reassuring to know it's an improved service I'll be receiving. I suppose I should do it, it's time. Didn't know about Speedgrade, with CS4 color correction was sorta primitive & I didn't have a whole lot of time for it(nor did I charge accordingly for it). I did have a quick plugin from RG for it, which when minimized to a low mix and used in small doses worked ok.

As for Roxio, the links were from a few message boards from back in 2011/2012 (keep in mind it's CS4 I had), such as the first post here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/898745 and the last one here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/415044. Not sure exactly what it was, I think I read at one point they had some subcontracted piece to it, and a glitch caused in to not work in Windows 7 which at the time of CS4's release was probably fairly new.

Kyle Root May 24th, 2016 02:44 PM

I'm doing more and more photography as well, so having photoshop and lightroom is a huge benefit to me.

The $50/mo I pay is worth it for me.

Another thing I love is having access to Adobe Typekit, which gives you tons of additional fonts to choose from that you can use in your stuff.

The color correction in the new PP is light years ahead of even where it was like just a year ago.

Billy Horton May 25th, 2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1915108)

So, my options seem to be either buying/leasing ($19/mo) Premiere CC (I've read that it doesn't come with Encore, but I can select "Previous Version", then install CS6 which comes with Encore, then upgrade Premiere to CC. Sounds cumbersome. OR, I could purchase something like Sony DVD Architect or something, 3rd party software. Not ideal, as I'm not sure of the workflow exactly, do I burn to mpeg2/mpeg4 and then insert it into the software and create my menu/chapters etc and burn? It wouldn't inherit the chapter markets would it, do I write down the timeline points? Just seems like an added step in addition to the encoded the file, then importing into the 3rd party software.

You should look at TMPGenc Authoring Works 5 TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5. I've been using it for years and I wouldn't use anything else after having tried a few others many years ago, Encore included.

Noa Put May 25th, 2016 04:17 PM

+ 1 for tmpgenc authoringworks, eventhough it will not give you the same creative freedom to design menu's as Encore will give you it has proven to be rocksolid over the years in my case, never experienced any problem building my dvd's and blu-ray's.

David Barnett May 26th, 2016 06:43 AM

Thanks all. So with TMPGenc do you edit your project then export it as mpeg/h264 then create the menu and burn the disc using it?

I'm just not sure I like that "extra step". It sounds petty, and maybe timewise it burns the disc quicker since it's already encoded. I just like things streamlined though, as with adobe you just edited Premiere then sent the file to Encore right away and it worked off of that.

I should get it out, a trial version to check into it and its workflow.

Noa Put May 26th, 2016 08:00 AM

I use edius and export a hqavi file and import that in tmpgenc because that's a lot easier to handle in tmpgenc and very fast to scroll and choose your chapter markers, I have timed it some months ago when I got my new pc and if I have a 1 hour 1080p project with 28mbs avchd files on it (with no effects) I got the following results on a I7 4790k cpu.

From Edius rendering out to a hqavi file: 10 minutes.
from tmpgenc rendering out to a blu-ray ready file: 21 minutes.

I use a spursengine card to accelerate my blu-ray renders and it only works with tmpgenc so my rending time is hardly a issue anymore and certainly not a bottleneck in my workflow, when I am rendering blu-ray files out in tmpgenc my CPU is only about 20% active so I can just continue editing another project.

Ann Bens May 28th, 2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Horton (Post 1915190)
You should look at TMPGenc Authoring Works 5 TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5. I've been using it for years and I wouldn't use anything else after having tried a few others many years ago, Encore included.

I frameserve from Premiere to TMPGEnc then bring the files into Encore.

Robert Young May 28th, 2016 10:14 PM

What is the advantage of TMPGEnc vs. Adobe Media Encoder for producing BR and DVD compliant files for Encore (or other authoring/burning apps)??
I've always exported my PPro timelines to AME for transcode to BR/DVD and have had excellent results.

Ann Bens May 29th, 2016 05:54 PM

I did a comparison some years ago and found that AME gave good results.
TMPGenc gave just a little bit better picture. (less artifacts)
I have stayed with TMPGenc ever since.
Maybe I need to do a comparison again with the latest builds.

Robert Young May 30th, 2016 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Young (Post 1915417)
I've always exported my PPro timelines to AME for transcode to BR/DVD and have had excellent results.

Actually, I should have said that it's just in recent recent years I've used AME for BD/DVD encoding.
I used to use mostly Procoder (Canopus/Grass Valley), and occasionally TMPGenc frameserving for DVD production. They were definitely superior to AME at that time.
But at some point- I'm thinking around the time that Blu Ray replaced DVD- it looked to me that AME had finally caught up to the best standards.
If you do a fresh comparison, let us know what you think.

Ann Bens May 31st, 2016 11:45 AM

Will do.
Btw I now only frameserve for BD, dont do dvd anymore.
The advanced frameserver still works even in the latest build

Steven Digges June 4th, 2016 04:26 PM

Adobe Encore is yet another example of Adobe bailing out on a good program before they should. It was simple, powerful, and an overall great program. I still use it when I need to author a disk.

I read the official Adobe statement on why it was discontinued. The gist of it was that it is an online world now and no one should be burning disks anymore. Tell that to all of the wedding shooters on this forum. They may wish they could deliver only digital files, but the client base demands DVDs. Noa or others can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is even a much higher ratio of SD DVDs over BR. No one seems to know why BR did not catch on the way it should have but American living rooms are still full of SD DVD players hooked up to HD TVs. Some of us embrace new technologies rapidly. For the masses, it is a big world, not everyone wants to buy something new like a BR player when the DVD deck they have is "good enough". VHS to DVD was a dramatic improvement in picture quality for the average consumer. Not to mention the advantages of a optical disk over a tape. I think the jump from DVD to BR was not enough for consumers to run out and buy a new deck. My point in this is that if you deliver to individuals instead of the business community (as I do) You still need Encore for both DVD and BR.

Adobe bailed on Encore but consumers did not get rid of their DVD players yet. Technology changes rapidly but when a standard is integrated into homes around the world a total evolution is a slow process. As video content producers we still need a good authoring platform. In my opinion Adobe quit supporting Encore to soon.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Noa Put June 5th, 2016 12:40 AM

I have been using encore up to cs3 and it was unique in it's ability to interact with photoshop and after effects so it's possibilities where almost limited by your own imagination. It was however very buggy which was the main reason I left it behind and switched to tmpgenc authoringworks and eventhough this program lacks the creative possibilities from encore it was like night and day when it came to stability, I have yet to experience one single crash with that program building dvd's and blu-rays.

In my experience blu-ray never catched on but dvd is still the most requested format for either weddings or theater performances, usb stick delivery (with a mp4 file) on the other hand is catching on fast but even then people continue ask for extra dvd copies.

It will take a long time before dvd will fade away completely, maybe Adobe didn't want to waste any resources on a product they thought has no future, Adobe can also afford to make such a decision just like they can with their subscription model.

If I just look how much the way we watch tv has changed in a relatively short period, people watch content on their smartphones, laptops and especially tablets, even last year I saw guests watching a football match on a tablet at a wedding. it's clear that dvd will eventually have no place in this new way how we will access any kind of media so in that sense I can understand why Adobe left encore behind.

I still expect that it will take many years before dvd's will not be requested anymore, people will hold on to their player just because they have so many dvd's at home with personal or cinema films, and even if they have a blu-ray player they can still access their dvd's.

Donald McPherson June 5th, 2016 01:02 AM

Reading the posts above. No one is asking for anything new in Encore (except stability) to burn disks. But if digital downloads and USB sticks are the way forward I wish Adobe would come up with something similar for this new delivery. I mean how hard would it be to port something like Encore to USB stick?

Noa Put June 5th, 2016 01:19 AM

Taky from la color pros already is selling his own modified usb stick to give you a dvd like menu interface when plugging a usbstick into a tv but I agree that it should be possible to integrate such a feature into a NLE when exporting.

Robert Young June 5th, 2016 07:39 PM

Regarding Adobe's discontinuation of Encore:
My understanding is that Adobe was leasing some of the core technology for Encore from a third party.
Around the time Encore CS6 was released, that third party company was purchased and the relevant technology was discontinued for competitive reasons.
This left Adobe with no legal means to carry on with the existing Encore product.
I suppose they could have redeveloped a new version of Encore from the ground up, but obviously, they passed on that.