DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere Pro and El Capitan (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/531634-premiere-pro-el-capitan.html)

Mike Watson April 17th, 2016 11:06 AM

Premiere Pro and El Capitan

When El Cap came out, if you installed it, it'd break Premiere Pro. Luckily I'm so old you can cut me in half and count my rings, so I'm wise enough to not install right away.

Now, it's been months, and a quick google doesn't reveal whether El Cap is okay. Everything running smoothly now? Can I install El Cap?

Ed Fiebke April 20th, 2016 04:09 PM

Re: Premiere Pro and El Capitan

Hi Mike -

I've been checking this thread, too, to see how others were fairing with regards to El Capitan and Adobe's Premiere Pro (and other programs). I am hoping that others are experiencing the same level of stability as I am experiencing, which is pretty good.

I've made the upgrade to El Capitan a while back. To be clear, I am NOT a "professional" in that I do not make a living off my equipment. Rather, I'm more of a "passionate hobbiest" (if I was describe myself). Adobe's Premiere Pro CC and El Capitan are working well together for me. I have the latests version of both Premiere Pro CC and El Capitan. I also keep updated all of my drivers including the driver to my faithful Mac Pro's video card (NVIDIA's Quadro K5000). For what it's worth, El Capitan is working well with my audio software, too (MOTU's DP 9 and Apple's Logic Pro X). Again, all programs and audio drivers are up to date.

Part of the challenge seems to be ensuring that the drivers to all of the audio & video hardware are kept updated to the operating system. It seems that not all companies are quick to update their drivers. I'm lucky because NVIDEA provides updates to the drivers for the Quadro K5000 video card on almost the same day that Apple updates the operating system. So far, the latest updated driver to my MOTU 2408 MK3 audio device also works well with El Capitan. Other people with differing audio and video devices are not as lucky, unfortunately. If/when you decide to upgrade to El Capitan, my modest suggestion to you would be to ensure that the companies that make your audio and video hardware, and any other hardware attached to your computer, have updated drivers that will work with the newer operating system. I have an aging LG external BluRay burner that no longer works with El Capitan via its Firewire port. However, I can burn CDs, DVDs and BluRay discs when I attach it to my Mac Pro via the USB 2 port. (I can not find an updated drivers to the LG BluRay burner, unfortunately.)

As the old saying goes, though, if you have a stable system, stick with it. This would seem to be even more important for those making a living off their system.

I hope others share their experiences with Premiere Pro and El Capitan. For me, though?!? I'm humming along just fine, editing my modest video projects with Adobe's Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, Photoshop CC, and the rest of their product line.

Mike Watson April 20th, 2016 11:45 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply, Ed!

Jan Klier April 25th, 2016 04:14 AM

For similar reasons I waited until version 11.3 was released which seemed to address most of the major issues of El Capitan. I then upgraded my Mac Pro and several Macbook Pros. No problems with the OS and no problem editing with Premiere Pro in the past few months since the upgrade.

Mike Watson April 25th, 2016 09:27 AM

Now that's the answer I was looking for. We're doing a pretty major RAID upgrade today, but after that's stable, El Cap, here I come.