DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Editing tip needed (Premiere or others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/532994-editing-tip-needed-premiere-others.html)

Marcello Mazzilli November 2nd, 2016 12:02 PM

Editing tip needed (Premiere or others)

I made a timeline with all the footage in sequence (2hours of interview).
I then rendered a low res version with hardcoded TC that corresponds to my timeline.
Some guy cut the interview and gave me his EDL.
I had to do this to fix audio, take out some parts etc... I couldn't give the other guy the original footage.
EDL imports fine so I have in front of me his work (my 3 hrs cut to 10 minutes)
Now I need to replace this editing with my hires version.
One solution will be to export all the three hours and then substitute my hires file to his lowres.
This will work but it will be too long.

How can I force Premiere to switch between a TIMELINE and a file (not between two files!) so to find my new cut timeline full of cuts from the original timeline ith all the footage nested inside ?

Thanks,
Marcello

John Wiley November 2nd, 2016 05:18 PM

Re: Editing tip needed (Premiere or others)

If I'm understanding it correctly, then the best way to handle it would be to export a high-res version of your original 3 hr timeline as a good quality intermediate codec (Cineform, ProRes, or DNxHD). The replace the low-res version with the better one.

Marcello Mazzilli November 3rd, 2016 01:13 AM

That's what I wrote above.. but in my case is unpractical... I have heavy grading and some effects.. it will take ages and will create a huge file.
What I need is a way to...

- Unlink media
- RELINK MEDIA TO TIMELINE (not a file, but an actual timeline in the project)

Unfortunately this feature is not present in Premiere.. Don't know about other applications

Marcello

Peter Parker November 3rd, 2016 09:34 AM

Not sure if this is what you are looking at but, put you original hi res edited sequence on bottom track. Place the low res version on track two. Sync the two tracks using the time code. Edit the top, or bottom track to the edited version. Does that make sense? What is the problem with using the edl?

Marcello Mazzilli November 3rd, 2016 11:42 AM

Hi Peter your spider sense was wrong :)
No.. i don't need to copy a sequence of cuts but I would like to replace the LOW RES CLIP I gave the other guy (from my HIGHRES TIMELINE) and from which the other guy built the edl on with my HIGHRES TIMELINE. I can't render my highres timeline to a hires file because it will take too long.
Ideally I just need to RELINK media from the LOW RES FILE to the HIGHRES TIMELINE.. but Premiere will only let you relink media to other media (not to a timeline!).

What I am forced to do now is to import the new edl and replace, clip by clip, the lowres version from a clip (nested) from my timeline... But I have to do that clip by clip. I have to check the starting frame (ie: 00:01:17:10), set the same starting TC in the source window (where MY timeline is), drag my timeline on top of the clip in the timeline from edl with Alt/Option pressed so my clip substitutes the lowres version. And I have to repeat this for every single cut.

If I could RELINK the lowres clip to my timeline I would do the whole thing in a second. But it doesn't seem to be possible

Hope is clear now

Peter Parker November 3rd, 2016 12:58 PM

Marcello,
1. what does your original hi res sequence (the one with all the colour correction etc) comprise of?
Is it all on one track, or does it have numerous tracks which you've rendered to one file?

What format is the EDL you refer to? Is it an Edit Decision List which just has timecode in and out points, or is it a short, low res clip with the timecode displayed on it?

I think I can understand what you're trying to do but if you have a 10 minute, low res, edited clip, which has timecode on it, or even a "list of timecode in and outs, can you not go to your original hi res sequence and "chop out" the unwanted sections as per the edited version ?
If they only want 10 mins, it won't take you long to selected the sections they want, delete the rest and render the 10 minutes that are left.
IF YOU DO GO DOWN THAT ROUTE, RENAME THE ORIGINAL SEQUENCE FIRST, SO YOU DON'T LOSE EVERYTHING.
Spiderman

Marcello Mazzilli November 3rd, 2016 01:16 PM

Let's call the two timelines FOOTAGE TIMELINE and EDITED TIMELINE
The FOOTAGE TIMELINE is 3 hours of footage all in sequence.
I've done some cleaning, audio levels, I deleted some clips, etc....
So.. I don't want to give the original raw footage to the other editor but this pre-edited timeline.
I exported with timecode on top at low quality

The other guy did a 10 minute editing of the low res clip.
In this case I will probably go clip by clip to substitute.. it's doable.
But I was wondering.. what if his editing was a very fast paced cut?
Simple edit.. no effects.. but very fast paced. Many and many cuts. Let's say hundreds.

Isn't there a way to simply substitute the lowres video I reimported from his edl and my high res pre-composed timeline? Ad far as I understand.. there is not.
I think a LINK TIMELINE feature (as well as LINK MEDIA which is present) could be very useful.

"With great powers come great responsibility"

Peter Parker November 3rd, 2016 01:49 PM

"In this case I will probably go clip by clip to substitute.. it's doable."

I think this is the only option at the moment. If it's only 10 mins long and you have all the timecode information to go to the original hi res sequence, as you say, "it's doable".

Someone else may come along with a better way but for the moment, give it a try. Obviously if it had hundred's of cuts, I can feel your frustration.
Don't forget to make a copy of the original seq. before starting. DON'T USE RIPPLE DELETE as this will move the clips along the timeline and you will lose the timecode in and out points.

Marcello Mazzilli November 3rd, 2016 01:58 PM

As I wrote above I will be substituing clips using the ALT/OPTION key

1) I drag the clip from the EDITED TIMELINE into the SOURCE window
2) I jump to IN POINT to check timecode
3) I then drag the FOOTAGE CLIP in the same Source window
4) I type by hand the same timecode and press ENTER
5) I press "I" (i need just the In-point)
6) I drag the clip from the SOURCE window to the EDITED TIMELINE on top of the lowres clip holding the ALT/OPTION KEY

By doing this the higres clip from the FOOTAGE TIMELINE will substitute the clip from the EDITED TIMELINE strating from the same timecode and ending at the same lengh. No need to DELETE, RIPPLE DELETE, PASTE or else .. so no mess here.

Still... I really feel a variation of RELINK MEDIA that is LINK TIMELINE will really be appreciated.
M