DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Windows 10 Good or Bad (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/534251-windows-10-good-bad.html)

Harry Lender June 14th, 2017 09:34 AM

Windows 10 Good or Bad

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.
I'm wanting to upgrade to from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I also want to upgrade from Adobe Premiere CS6 to CC. My CS6 has developed a glitch that I can't seem to find. I've posted in this forum and in Adobe's forums with no luck. Anyway where can I go to get the best price for Adobe Premiere CC? I'm retired and I want to keep the price down if possible.

Also on the Windows 10 subject. What are the Pros and Cons of Win 10?
I know it's a lot to cover. Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks again.
Harry

Noa Put June 14th, 2017 10:01 AM

Re: Windows 10 Good or Bad

Concerning windows 10, I had some second thoughts about installing it because I had no issues with windows 7 but eventually took the jump while it was still free (I believe you can still install it for free if you have a legal version of windows 7) But knowing time doesn't stand still and my editing or other programs would soon or later require windows 10 to run stable I took the jump.

In the beginning I had some issues with edius as with win 10 only a specific driver would work to enable quicksync but windows kept forcing me to update with no way to de-select what updates I did not want, I eventually found a way to disable certain drivers so all was ok. Grassvalley also updated edius so the driver issue disappeared and it has been happy sailing ever since, Windows works without a problem and has not crashed on me yet.

One thing I do not like about it at all is that the way I found to prevent certain drivers from being installed has been disabled by microsoft so I cannot disable it myself anymore, that has not caused any issues yet but if it does I still want to be able to decide myself what is being updated, maybe there is a new way but I only have been able to delay the install, not prevent it.

Luke Miller June 14th, 2017 01:23 PM

Windows 10 is stable and all my applications run fine under it. There is some getting used to the changed user interface, but the learning curve is pretty short. My only problem has been with legacy hardware. With Window 7 and initially with Windows 10 I could install Adaptec drivers for my SCSI scanner as well as drivers for my Monaco Pulse ColorElite monitor and printer calibration system. There were some tricks to getting the drivers installed, but in the end they worked fine under Windows 7 64bit and Windows 10 64bit. Right up to the point when one of the Windows 10 updates killed them and prevents their re-installation. So in my case the cost of the Windows 10 update included over a thousand dollars of replacement peripherals. And I have yet to purchase the printer calibration spectrometer. If you have no legacy hardware you should have no problem.

On two different Windows 7 systems I was not successful in doing the update via the Windows Update process. I downloaded the Windows 10 install disk from Microsoft and burned it to a CD.

Cary Knoop June 14th, 2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Lender (Post 1933386)
IAnyway where can I go to get the best price for Adobe Premiere CC? I'm retired and I want to keep the price down if possible.

It's $19.99 / month.

Harry Lender June 15th, 2017 07:00 AM

Thank you so much. That helps.

Harry Lender June 15th, 2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1933402)
It's $19.99 / month.

Hi Cary:
May I ask where you got your PPR CC? Was it with Adobe? The Monthly subscription rate of $19.99 is a pretty good deal.
Best Regards
Harry

Al Bergstein June 15th, 2017 09:01 AM

I've been helping a company upgrade to Windows 10. Cons are that the interface takes some relearning. Print menues have been changed, not for the better in my view. Agree with others that backwards compatibility has taken a hit, as it often does with OS upgrades. To be fair, I've had some problems with the Mac OS not always supporting video cards, like nVidia and being forced to upgrade drivers before it will work. And those issues are not even mentioned before upgrading.

Give yourself some time to work through the issues, don't do it during a major project. A good idea is to list all your current applications, get the upgrades available for them for Windows 10 and then upgrade. Make a full backup of your current system before starting it. Just for the record, an upgrade done by reformatting the disk and reinstalling is *always* preferable but not necessary. I just upgraded 10 machines in the last few weeks, only one seemed to have a problem that is not solvable without reformatting (it's really a question of how much time spent troubleshooting vs. the cost of just reformatting). If you reformat, realize you may need to download and reinstall all your existing working software. Some people simply buy a spare hard drive and a hard drive dock, setup the new drive in that dock (while it's attached to the computer) and then swap out the new drive with the old one. you can tell your machine to boot off the external drive when doing the upgrade

Best of luck.

Harry Lender June 15th, 2017 09:27 AM

Hi Al;
Thanks so much for that Info. Very, Very helpful.
Regards
Harry

Cary Knoop June 15th, 2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Lender (Post 1933419)
Hi Cary:
May I ask where you got your PPR CC? Was it with Adobe? The Monthly subscription rate of $19.99 is a pretty good deal.

As far as I know the only way you can obtain the software is directly through Adobe Creative Cloud.

The monthly rate for a single product is $19.99, there are also multi-product packages.

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?pro...KR7S1&mv=other

Pete Cofrancesco June 15th, 2017 10:02 AM

Honestly if the reason is cs6 is having issues reinstall the os and your applications.

I'm not crazy about to it can make older computers run slower. Then you get into the costs of subscription cc and you're retired...

Donald McPherson June 15th, 2017 11:24 AM

As it's only for a hobby have a look at the free Davinci Resolve. It will most likely do all you will ever need.

Harry Lender June 15th, 2017 12:38 PM

Donald,
Thank you. I honestly did not know that. About Davinci 12 I mean. That opens up another door to be considered. I am looking into this now. Very much appreciated.
Thanks Again.
Harry

Harry Lender June 15th, 2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1933426)
Honestly if the reason is cs6 is having issues reinstall the os and your applications.

I'm not crazy about to it can make older computers run slower. Then you get into the costs of subscription cc and you're retired...

Pete;
The more I think about your suggestion the more it sounds logical. This helps alot.
Very much appreciated.
Thanks again.
Harry

Harry Lender June 15th, 2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bergstein (Post 1933421)
I've been helping a company upgrade to Windows 10. Cons are that the interface takes some relearning. Print menus have been changed, not for the better in my view. Agree with others that backwards compatibility has taken a hit, as it often does with OS upgrades. To be fair, I've had some problems with the Mac OS not always supporting video cards, like nVidia and being forced to upgrade drivers before it will work. And those issues are not even mentioned before upgrading.

Give yourself some time to work through the issues, don't do it during a major project. A good idea is to list all your current applications, get the upgrades available for them for Windows 10 and then upgrade. Make a full backup of your current system before starting it. Just for the record, an upgrade done by reformatting the disk and reinstalling is *always* preferable but not necessary. I just upgraded 10 machines in the last few weeks, only one seemed to have a problem that is not solvable without reformatting (it's really a question of how much time spent troubleshooting vs. the cost of just reformatting). If you reformat, realize you may need to download and reinstall all your existing working software. Some people simply buy a spare hard drive and a hard drive dock, setup the new drive in that dock (while it's attached to the computer) and then swap out the new drive with the old one. you can tell your machine to boot off the external drive when doing the upgrade

Best of luck.

Al
Thanks again. Very good info here. I'm passing this onto my computer guy whom I'm working with.
Very much appreciated.
Thanks again

To Al & anyone;
Several years I heard of people having a dedicated Hard Drive for editing only. And another for everything else on their computer. Has anyone heard of this and how would that be setup?
I'm just thinking out loud and thought I would throw it out for some idea's and opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Harry

Andrew Smith June 15th, 2017 06:45 PM

VideoGuys.com (publisher of thew DIY guides for video editing computers) recommends avoiding Win8 and Win10 and sticking with Windows 7.

That's what I am doing. No real reason to upgrade.

Andrew