Backing up large video files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 31st, 2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Backing up large video files

I have a question on the storage of video files.
I have 1675 gigs of video files on my computer. They are spread out over 3 Hard Drives. Is there a Product like "The PhotoStick" that will seek out all video files in all formats and back them up to an SS 1 or 2 or 3 Terabyte External Hard Drive? Or is there another way of doing this. "The PhotoStick" only goes up to 128 Gigs which is not enough.
I am open to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Backing up large video files

Why can't you use xcopy to copy all files with a given extension to a new target drive?
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Why can't you use xcopy to copy all files with a given extension to a new target drive?
Cary..Thank you so much. I will check that out. Never dawned on me about that. Thanks again.
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2020, 04:07 AM   #4
Major Player

xcopy, reminded me of MS-DOS.
Old January 1st, 2020, 04:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Windows can search for certain formats in file explorer, so surely you just open two, one for destination, then do the search in the other and simply drag and drop? Have I missed something?

Trouble is for me, my file naming regime is terrible and I'd end up with loads of identically names files impossible to identify. Clip0003.mp4 is pretty useless without the containing folder!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2020, 07:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Windows can search for certain formats in file explorer, so surely you just open two, one for destination, then do the search in the other and simply drag and drop? Have I missed something?

Trouble is for me, my file naming regime is terrible and I'd end up with loads of identically names files impossible to identify. Clip0003.mp4 is pretty useless without the containing folder!
Hi Paul,
I hear you. You're pretty much like me on this. What I wish is that there is something like "The PhotoStick", but on a larger scale. I called "The PhotoStick" support and asked them if I had large video files, would their Software be able to copy those files onto a storage device with a capacity of 1 or 2 or 3 Terabytes. They said no!
The "The PhotoStick" can only handle 128G. That means you would have to purchase a ton "The PhotoSticks" which would not be cost-effective. The ability of their product to search out all those formats is nice. It would save a lot of time. I'm checking out "OneDrive for Windows". That may be an answer. I'll post back here on what I find. BTW I found out about "OneDrive for Windows" when I did a search on youTube on this very subject. There;s a lot of information on this subject on youTube.
Thanks so much for your input. Much appreciated.
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite