DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Backing up large video files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/537211-backing-up-large-video-files.html)

Harry Lender December 31st, 2019 12:39 PM

Backing up large video files

I have a question on the storage of video files.
I have 1675 gigs of video files on my computer. They are spread out over 3 Hard Drives. Is there a Product like "The PhotoStick" that will seek out all video files in all formats and back them up to an SS 1 or 2 or 3 Terabyte External Hard Drive? Or is there another way of doing this. "The PhotoStick" only goes up to 128 Gigs which is not enough.
I am open to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Harry

Cary Knoop December 31st, 2019 12:52 PM

Re: Backing up large video files

Why can't you use xcopy to copy all files with a given extension to a new target drive?

Harry Lender December 31st, 2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1955895)
Why can't you use xcopy to copy all files with a given extension to a new target drive?

Cary..Thank you so much. I will check that out. Never dawned on me about that. Thanks again.

Donald McPherson January 1st, 2020 04:07 AM

xcopy, reminded me of MS-DOS.

Paul R Johnson January 1st, 2020 04:54 AM

Windows can search for certain formats in file explorer, so surely you just open two, one for destination, then do the search in the other and simply drag and drop? Have I missed something?

Trouble is for me, my file naming regime is terrible and I'd end up with loads of identically names files impossible to identify. Clip0003.mp4 is pretty useless without the containing folder!

Harry Lender January 1st, 2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1955916)
Windows can search for certain formats in file explorer, so surely you just open two, one for destination, then do the search in the other and simply drag and drop? Have I missed something?

Trouble is for me, my file naming regime is terrible and I'd end up with loads of identically names files impossible to identify. Clip0003.mp4 is pretty useless without the containing folder!

Hi Paul,
I hear you. You're pretty much like me on this. What I wish is that there is something like "The PhotoStick", but on a larger scale. I called "The PhotoStick" support and asked them if I had large video files, would their Software be able to copy those files onto a storage device with a capacity of 1 or 2 or 3 Terabytes. They said no!
The "The PhotoStick" can only handle 128G. That means you would have to purchase a ton "The PhotoSticks" which would not be cost-effective. The ability of their product to search out all those formats is nice. It would save a lot of time. I'm checking out "OneDrive for Windows". That may be an answer. I'll post back here on what I find. BTW I found out about "OneDrive for Windows" when I did a search on youTube on this very subject. There;s a lot of information on this subject on youTube.
Thanks so much for your input. Much appreciated.
Harry