DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Pulsing Colors in my NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/57029-pulsing-colors-my-nle.html)

Afton Grant December 29th, 2005 07:21 AM

Pulsing Colors in my NLE

Hello,

I am editing some video that contains some pretty vibrant colors. When viewed on my computer, many of the reds and blues have a pulsing effect to them - it's quite distracting.

The video was shot using a DVX100A in 24P w/ the anamorphic adapter with the chroma settings turned all the way up. When viewing on the original tape, there is no pulse. Only when it is brought into my NLE--and everywhere after that--that the pulses occur. I am using a PC and Premiere Pro 1.5.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the DV or RGB compression, but I don't know enough about the science of that to be able to solve it. Is there anything I can do upon transfer from tape into computer to maintain the pulse free original video?

Thanks for any and all help. Happy New Year!

Afton Grant

Christopher Lefchik December 31st, 2005 08:22 PM

Did you choose the Panasonic 24P project preset in Premiere Pro before capturing your footage? Have you installed the Premiere Pro 1.5.1 update (it might not help, but then again, you never know).

Alex Filacchione January 2nd, 2006 09:03 PM

When you say anywhere, do you mean on a broadcast monitor as well, or a regular TV?

Often times colors can pulse on PC monitors, esp. vibrant ones and whites. I think usually it has something to do with the refresh rate of the monitor and how it is reacting to certain color frequencies. This is just a guess though. I have seen say the white background of a web page pulse, and when I minimize that page it goes away. It's not the webpage. Sometimes I can bring up that page and it won't pulse, and I think the reason is because I may have other windows open on my desktop that are, in effect, negating the effects of that white frequency.

I think that this is very much like sympathetic vibrations on a musical instrument. Everything has it's own resonant frequency. On one guitar I have the bridge has the same resonant frequency as when I fret a note way up on the neck (a specific note). When I hit that note, you can also hear the metal bridge of the guitar vibrate and make a sound. Now, if I hit that SAME note, but on a different string, it doesn't happen. A note played on a thinner string will actually have a different resonant frequency than the exact same note on another thicker string.

I think what you are seeing, and what I see (assuming that we are talking about the same thing here) is a video equivalent of this.

I would try playing with your monitor settings. First play with different refresh rates and resolutions, and combinations thereof (if you can find your manual or look it up online, be sure to know what your monitor supports. You can actually cause damage & fire if you have the thing set at the wrong rates for a period of time). Start w/ your current resolution & refresh rate of 60. Then 75, then 100. Then go back to 60 and change the resolution of your desktop.

Play with the brightness/contrast, etc. controls of the monitor as well and see if that helps at all.

If we are talking about the same thing, then even if it desn't work it is definitely worth trying.

Alex F