DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere Pro 2 and Z1U...compatable? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/58825-premiere-pro-2-z1u-compatable.html)

Tod Deardorff January 21st, 2006 05:08 PM

Premiere Pro 2 and Z1U...compatable?

I've been looking for someone to test these 2 products together.......I bought PP2 and hooked up my Z1U and I was able to get device control of the camera in capture mode, but when I finished editing and went to "export to tape", the camera would activate and start to record, but no video or audio was being sent via the firewire......it just recorded a blue screen. I tried to export both dv and hdv files with the same result. When I hooked up and old sony dv camera, no problem, it would export a dv file just fine.

I can't believe Adobe would overlook this camera. It's not in the drop down menu in the device list, but it clearly should be supported.

If anyone has this camera and editing software, let me know your results..........please.

Tod Deardorff
Station Manager
OUHSD

Isaac Anderson January 22nd, 2006 04:06 AM

PP2 is working fine with my Z1...although I have not yet tried exporting back to tape...as I have converted all of my footage to CineForm avi files.

John Hewat January 22nd, 2006 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Anderson
PP2 is working fine with my Z1...although I have not yet tried exporting back to tape...as I have converted all of my footage to CineForm avi files.

Excuse my ignorance; does converting the footage to Cineform AVIs prevent export to tape?

And I was under the impression that simply capturing the footage using Aspect HD saved the files as Cinfeorm AVIs. Am I wrong?

Steven Gotz January 22nd, 2006 11:16 AM

If you have Cineform Aspect HD, you can capture as M2T and then throw out all of the stuff you don't want. Then transcode to Cineform AVI. Works great on less powerful PCs.

And sending it back to tape is time consuming but possible.

Aspect HD 4.0 is now available for use with Premiere Pro 2.0 and if you are really a masochist, Premiere Pro handles native M2T files now.

Isaac Anderson January 23rd, 2006 11:17 AM

This could be your problem with exporting back to tape.

Errata Note for Aspect HD v4.0 that only affects some Premiere Pro 2 users: In the situation that Premiere Pro 2 users do not have both Premiere Pro 2 AND you Premiere Pro 1.5.1 installed on the same PC, Aspect HD is temporarily unable to generate transport streams and export them to HDV camcorders. If you DO have both Premiere Pro 1.5.1 and Premiere Pro 2 installed on the same PC, you will not have this problem. Until we fix this errata, we recommend that if possible you leave Premiere Pro 1.5.1 installed on the same PC with Premiere Pro 2. We will post a solution or workaround for this errata when available. This does not affect Premiere Pro 1.5.1 users.

More info at:

http://www.cineform.com/products/AspectHDPPro.htm

John Hewat January 24th, 2006 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
If you have Cineform Aspect HD, you can capture as M2T and then throw out all of the stuff you don't want. Then transcode to Cineform AVI. Works great on less powerful PCs.

Does this produce a superior/inferior/different in any way image quality to simply capturing as a Cineform AVI?

Miguel Lombana January 24th, 2006 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Anderson

I guess the real question for you is, what kind of performance are you seeing? Are you seeing near or true real-time performance in HDV?
How many video tracks are you pumping out in HDV in real-time?
How does the multi-cam feature work? Is it like Avid (no tutorials yet)?
What type of system are you running it on?

Are you happy with the investment in it?

ML

Steven Gotz January 24th, 2006 08:16 AM

John,

You capture to M2T and convert in one step or in two steps, it is all the same quality. But I don't get dropped frames when I use two steps. Also, I only convert the ones I plan on using. And, I can make the decision on the quality setting on a clip-by-clip basis. There are some clips that just scream for the highest quality, where medium is fine for the majority of my work.

Carlos Manuel January 24th, 2006 12:18 PM

PP2 + Z1 frame accurate ?

I all
I have a Z1E and will go for a PP2 NLE solution.

Question for the ones that work with this solution.

When we capture from the Z1 in HDV via FW is frame accurate ?
Does it need to be ?

I ask this because, right now, my NLE is a TARGA 3000 with Premiere 6.5 - 240G of 8 SCSI disk raid.
I shoot in HDV and capture SD via YUV out.
The capture is done in YUV uncompressed.

If I capture in DV (for space saving), edit and in the end re-capture, I DO NOT get frame accurate in the FW port. (Z1 has NOT a 9pin RS422 port)

Because I've never captured or edited in HDV I don' know this:
When I capture HDV, I get a m2t file. This file has "all" the resolution from the tape, in a small disk space, so do I need to recapture anything again ?

I don't understant properly Why capture m2t and then convert to Cineform AVI. Why?

Thanks
Carlos

Steven Gotz January 24th, 2006 12:46 PM

Using the Cineform intermediate codec allows you to edit faster, and with less loss.

Carlos Manuel January 24th, 2006 01:02 PM

Thanks Steven Gotz,

Let me try to explain my question properly (I'm not an English native).

1st: I've never edited in HD, so maybe my question seems a silly one.
In SD PAL (in my case) I work with Betacam SP + DigiBeta and have a TARGA 3000.

If I capture in YUV uncompressed I get "all" the quality that is on the tape, but the AVI file is very large.
When I capture in DV, I get small files with less quality.
So, I capture in DV, edit and in the end I re-capture in YUV ONLY the used footage. Then I do the POST and CC.

In HDV, I miss a part of the process.

The captured files in m2t have "all" the quality of the HDV tape.
Those files have a specific disk space. (similar to DV avi files)

If PP captures in m2t, and the m2t has "all" the information, why is the Cineform ?

You say that to edit faster and with less loss.

This means that the m2t are very processor demanding because of the compression?

The Cineform codec is uncompressed ?

For ex. If I capture a m2t file with 2G, the Cineform AVI will have +/- how much more size ?

Thanks for your attention
Carlos

Steven Gotz January 24th, 2006 01:31 PM

The Cineform AVI is not temporally compressed, so it is easier on the processor. That means that each frame has all of the information, and not just a reference to other frames. Plus, instead of editing in 4:2:0 you edit in 4:2:2 so effects applied look better. And you don't have to worry about recompressing every time you make a cut.

I suggest that you spend some time reading on the Cineform site.

http://www.cineform.com/products/AspectHDPPro.htm

Carlos Manuel January 24th, 2006 02:10 PM

Thank's

"I suggest that you spend some time reading on the Cineform site."

I know. It's my fault.
The stress make me think a bit less than I would like.

I have the Cineform website (and your's) in front of me, and will pay more attention to them.