DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere Pro 2.0 + Preview Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/61578-premiere-pro-2-0-preview-monitor.html)

Pat Sherman February 26th, 2006 12:59 PM

Premiere Pro 2.0 + Preview Monitor

Hey Folks,

Rather simple question.. I currently have 3 Premiere Editing suites utilizing the Matrox RT.X100 in each of them. Now I am upgrading them all to Production Studio, and well the RT.X100 doesn't support many of the new features.

So here's my question, what and how do you get for example A Sony NTSC 13" Color Monitor to display the output if you don't have a Matrox card?

My current set up for two of them are 24" LCD (Dell) and 13" Sony Monitor, and 1 Dual 20" LCDS and 15" Sony Monitor.. I've heard of people using their Firewire to always output the timeline through it and then feed it to their camera and then feed the monitor off their camera, but I don't think it would work for me, since I use PD-150's and 170's and considering the camera has to be on, it would probably most likely increase my hours log in the camera.. So if I go to sell them (which I am) I don't think people buy into the whole "It's not really hours used, it's like Freeway miles vs City miles for cars..:) )

Miguel Lombana February 26th, 2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sherman
Hey Folks,

Rather simple question.. I currently have 3 Premiere Editing suites utilizing the Matrox RT.X100 in each of them. Now I am upgrading them all to Production Studio, and well the RT.X100 doesn't support many of the new features.

So here's my question, what and how do you get for example A Sony NTSC 13" Color Monitor to display the output if you don't have a Matrox card?

My current set up for two of them are 24" LCD (Dell) and 13" Sony Monitor, and 1 Dual 20" LCDS and 15" Sony Monitor.. I've heard of people using their Firewire to always output the timeline through it and then feed it to their camera and then feed the monitor off their camera, but I don't think it would work for me, since I use PD-150's and 170's and considering the camera has to be on, it would probably most likely increase my hours log in the camera.. So if I go to sell them (which I am) I don't think people buy into the whole "It's not really hours used, it's like Freeway miles vs City miles for cars..:) )

You nailed it, you feed the firewire out to a deck or cam, say a JVC dual Mini-DV/VHS or a Sony and use the 1394 passthru of that unit to a monitor. You're not going to add run time to your camera since the heads are not working, it's just a passthru, JVC does make a cheaper deck that also has 1394 however for some reason they don't make that clear in their ads.

BTW, I use a Canopus card that outputs Composite video and I still take the 1394 feed.

ML

Pat Sherman February 26th, 2006 04:00 PM

Hey Miguel,

Thanks for the reply.. I wasn't sure if those hours while the camera is on counts as operating hours, I know it would track as tape run..

So are there any PCI cards that accomplish the same thing? I would be happy with just the matrox card if all it did was output Video and no effects.

But AFAYK Firewire, to Camera/Deck out Svideo/Composite to Monitor, right?

Nick Weeks February 26th, 2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sherman
But AFAYK Firewire, to Camera/Deck out Svideo/Composite to Monitor, right?

I do not own a Matrox card and this is exactly what I've done for a couple of years on my PPro editing PC (both PPro 1.5 and 2.0 demo). Works great. I'm also going to be upgrading to a Mac soon using Final Cut Pro and I plan on having this same setup

Chuck Spaulding February 28th, 2006 02:10 AM

Sure that's one way to accomplish that, or you could purchase a Matrox Perhalia or nVidia FX540 graphics card, each about $250.

I have the FX540 and it provides a component HD and SD output as well as a SVHS out in realtime. I capture everything through FW.