DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Dual Monitors and Exporting to DV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/64917-dual-monitors-exporting-dv.html)

Aviv Hallale April 12th, 2006 12:17 PM

Dual Monitors and Exporting to DV?

Hey,

I'm about to start using a dual monitor setup with Premiere (one 19" LCD as the main monitor and one 15" CRT as the program monitor)

At school we have DVCPRO decks as well as monitors where we can display either the program view or the source view in that monitor...How do I setup premiere so I have the full Premiere interface on my LCD monitor, and just the program/timeline or source view displayed on my second CRT?

Also, I've never exported back to MiniDV on a camera...Our edit suites at school allow us to simply render the timeline in premiere, pop a tape into a the DVCPRO deck hit record there and spacebar in Premiere to play the timeline, and the program view gets recorded onto tape...Is this the same setup when using a DV camera to record from PC back onto tape? Do I have to select between recording the program view or source view or will it automatically record just what is playing in the program view?

Thanks,
Aviv

Graham Hickling April 12th, 2006 08:20 PM

Provided you have your display card option set correctly - with the desktop extended across both monitors, you should be able to simply drag any monitor window you want across to the second screen. Premiere should NOT be 'maximised' when you do this however.

To export to the camera, look for the "Export to tape" option under the "File" dropdown menu.

Aviv Hallale April 12th, 2006 11:39 PM

Will this cause the view to be split in half? half the desktop on one screen, half on the other? I'm not planning on placing the two monitors right next to each other, rather one in front of me and one adjacent to me to act as a client monitor. Why should Premiere not be maximised?

Thanks, Graham.

Graham Hickling April 13th, 2006 06:28 AM

All the Windows desktop icons, taskbars etc can sit on the primary monitor - so that the secondary monitor will be a blank screen apart from the monitor window you drag there.

With my setup, Prmiere maximises to the first screen only, and when maximized you cant drag windows across to the second screen. (But this may be contingent on the way you set your video card's dualscreen mode....)

Aviv Hallale April 13th, 2006 07:28 AM

Hey Graham,

This doesn't seem to work in the way I'd like it to. Due to space issues, I wouldn't be able to have both monitors right next to each other, so the one which I'd be used for watching my edited video would be a type of client monitor about two feet away from my primary one.

When I tried your method, I could drag the program view into the second monitor, so it was the only thing displayed (besides my desktop) but that means it took the program view off my primary monitor. Is there any way I can have the full Premiere UI in my primary monitor + a copy of the program view on the client monitor? So I can just watch on the client monitor, without having to use the program view controls on that monitor too?

At my school, the client monitors aren't PC monitors, but 15" or so screens encased in a metal box with lots of ports at the back connecting to the Black Magic capture cards and the DVCPRO deck we have.

With that set up, the full Premiere interface is in the primary, 19" LCD monitor and then JUST the video from the program monitor (not the actualy window with the jogger and control buttons) is displayed on the client. Is there any way I can achieve that setup?

Thanks again.

Graham Hickling April 13th, 2006 08:24 AM

Fullscreen monitoring

The way that is often done is through Premiere's "Play back to an external monitor" capability (it's under playback settings).

That allows you to send full-quality video out via firewire to a firewire/analogue box like the advc100 and then to a proper interlaced display monitor that your clients view.

Is there a way to do fullscreen overlay on a second computer monitor? I don't know! Hopefully someone reading this thread can help answer that....

Aviv Hallale April 13th, 2006 09:33 AM

Thanks for the help Graham, I appreciate it :)

I think I'm just going to work on one primary monitor then unless I can get full screen overlay on another.

Aviv Hallale April 26th, 2006 07:03 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible to use full screen overlay on a separate PC Monitor (ie having premiere read the monitor as an external playback device?)

Steven Gotz April 26th, 2006 08:12 PM

This might help:

ATI RADEON
1. In Windows Display Properties, Click on the ‘Settings’ Tab
2. Select the second monitor in the ‘Display’ drop down menu
3. Be sure that the check box “Extend My Windows Desktop onto This Monitor” is UNCHECKED.
4. Select the first monitor in the ‘Display’ drop down menu
5. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button to view the ATI Radeon Settings
6. Click on the ‘Overlay’ Tab
7. Click on ‘Clone Mode Options’
8. In ‘Overlay Display Mode’ select ‘Theatre Mode’
9. In ‘Set Video Aspect Ratio To’ select ‘Same As Source Video’
10. In ‘Display Device Aspect Ratio’ select the aspect ratio of the device you are displaying to
11. Click on ‘Display’
12. Be sure both monitors are activated and designated correctly as either Primary or Feature Monitor.

• nVidia GeForce
1. In Windows Display Properties Click on the ‘Settings’ Tab
2. Select the second monitor in the ‘Display’ drop down menu
3. Be sure that the check box “Extend My Windows Desktop onto This Monitor” is CHECKED.
4. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button to view the nVidia Card
5. Click on the Tab with the nVidia Logo and the model name/number of the card.
6. In the side menu that pops out select ‘Full Screen Video’
7. In the ‘Full Screen Device’ drop down menu, select ‘Auto-Select’
8. Apply the settings

Aviv Hallale April 27th, 2006 08:50 AM

Shall I kiss you now or later?!

It works fantasically! Thanks!

Steven Gotz April 27th, 2006 08:53 AM

Glad to hear it!

I am glad to hear that you got it working. I will consider myself kissed. :)

Keith Allison April 27th, 2006 03:13 PM

Here's how I do it... I've got a 19" Dell monitor and a 23" Dell LCD monitor (16:9)... I connect the camera to the computer via firewire... run a composite cable out from the camera to the 23"... select the composite input from the 23's remote and Voila! I can view the monitor window... on the 23" monitor. I can also use it as a realtime 16:9 monitor while recording to tape or directly to Premiere..

Aviv Hallale April 27th, 2006 04:47 PM

Ok, I'm back...How can I do the same thing for After Effects? In Video Previews I have all the necassary options ticked, yet nothing is showing up on my second monitor.