DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Shot clock started from camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/66682-shot-clock-started-camera.html)

Jay Lee May 4th, 2006 05:00 PM

Shot clock started from camera

Hopefully not a dumb question, but can you start and stop the shot clock from the camera when your shooting?

Dale Paterson May 4th, 2006 11:40 PM

Hopefully not a dumb question but what is a 'shot clock'?

Regards,

Dale.

Mark Mapes May 5th, 2006 01:03 PM

DV Rack has three time-related displays. The DVR has a timecode display, which shows the tape's timecode if there's a tape in the camera; otherwise, it starts at 0:00. The Shotclock component displays both the current time and a shotclock that by default resets to zero and starts running each time you begin recording and stops when stop recording (you can turn of the ShotClock Slave mode if desired).

There's no way to independently start and stop the Shotclock from the camera, but assuming the "DVR Slave to Cam" feature is enabled, it will start and stop indirectly with recording.

Jay Lee May 5th, 2006 11:43 PM

OK, so there's a feature request

Mark, thanks for the reply.SO here's my deal. When i'm on location, I use DV Rack to check my shots as it was intended. I know I need to capture X amount of time per shot, but I don't want to fill up my hard drive with video files for this particular task. It would be cool to be able to configure the clock to start and stop with the camera and display the elapsed time for the shot independently of the DVR. Oh yeah, and while you're at it, be able to reset it automatically once it receives the new "record" signal from the camera.

Mark Mapes May 6th, 2006 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Lee
I know I need to capture X amount of time per shot, but I don't want to fill up my hard drive with video files for this particular task. It would be cool to be able to configure the clock to start and stop with the camera and display the elapsed time for the shot independently of the DVR. Oh yeah, and while you're at it, be able to reset it automatically once it receives the new "record" signal from the camera.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you want a mode where the ShotClock starts and stops in sync with recording but does not reset, giving you a cumulative time for a series of takes? Or are you asking for the ShotClock to operate in slave to the camera even when the "DVR Slave to Cam" mode is disabled? Or am I missing the boat entirely???

Incidentally, as far as filling up your hard drive, let me point out that the Field Monitor Menu has two options related to an On Screen Display re: hard drive space remaining. "HDD Space Disp" lets you set the OSD to display always, only when the disk space is below a user-defined threshold, or never. "HDD Warning" defines the threshold if the prior option is set to "Warning." A third option, "HDD Record Stop," terminates recording when the drive space drops below the specified threshold.

Also, if you need to clear disk space and you know some a clip in the current project will not be used, you can delete it permanently by selecting the clip and pressing CTRL+SHIFT+Delete.

Jay Lee May 7th, 2006 01:12 AM

Bingo, what I'm asking for is the former, i.e. "ShotClock to operate in slave to the camera even when the "DVR Slave to Cam" mode is disabled".

Thanks for the other info re: DVR on the laptop. There are times when I can see that being beneficial, however in my particular task, it isn't something I want to do.Typically, If I was to record direct to disk I would want to use an external Firewire drive. To the best of my knowledge, the recommended workflow with an NLE is having the source media on a different drive that the OS and application.

What I can say so far is the DV Rack is an invaluable tool for evaluating the shots on location. For what I do, I only have one shot and DV Rack is great insurance that I'm getting what I need.

Mark Mapes May 7th, 2006 02:29 AM

Okay, I'll add that feature request to our list.

In case you're not aware, DV Rack allows you to record to an external drive, and the HDD Space Display indicates space remaining on whatever drive the current project is on.