DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   PPRO 2.0 - What capture card are you using? Any Matrox Axio LEs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/69917-ppro-2-0-what-capture-card-you-using-any-matrox-axio-les.html)

Wade Spencer June 20th, 2006 12:36 PM

PPRO 2.0 - What capture card are you using? Any Matrox Axio LEs?

I'm in a bit of a dilema and would like some advice. I have looked through the Premiere section and haven't found anything that resembles my questions...if I missed something, please direct me there!

First, let me run down what I'm currently using. I have a system running PPro 1.5 with the Canopus DVStorm 2 Pro card, and I love it, but I recently had a power supply fail and it took out an IDE channel on my motherboard at the same time, so it's time for an upgrade.

I've been looking hard at Vegas, Edius, Avid, and Premiere Pro 2.0, and I've decided to stick with Premiere, mainly because of the integration with the other Adobe programs I use constantly.

My problem is that the Canopus DVStorm2 is not compatible with PPro 2.0 and never will be (most think it wasn't compatible with 1.5, but my system has always worked perfectly).

I've been looking for a capture card to replace the Storm if I decide to build a new system and upgrade to 2.0, and I found the Matrox Axio LE. It seems like it has good capabilities for SD and HD, bumps up the realtime performance of Premiere, and gives me all of the inputs/outputs I would need.

http://www.matrox.com/video/products/axio/home.cfm

Does anyone have this? Or have a similiar solution for Premiere Pro 2.0?

One thing I have now with the Storm that I really like is the realtime component output to a production monitor and I would really like my next system to have that as well.

Any help is appreciated!!!!

K. Forman June 20th, 2006 01:09 PM

Matrox is supposed to work fine with Premiere, but read their system requirements first! As for me, I just got a Decklink HD. We'll see how that goes.

Chris Barcellos June 20th, 2006 01:53 PM

Okay, I'll ask this first. With the way modern editing is going, relying on CPU and Video for high speed rendering, and even realtime rendering, why should you tie yourself to a proprietary editing board still ?

I can remember I did that once already with Pinnacle's ProOne board, and though it did get me my first Premiere experience, I have now moved on and I am using a self built generic Dual Core AMD 3800+ system, and I am able to handle DV with great ease, mostly realtime, and even edit native HDV.

Also, when you say capture card, I assume you are referring to one that has its own proprietary codec, right ?

Pete Bauer June 20th, 2006 02:06 PM

I agree with Chris. In the past I used a Canopus Raptor that served me well in its day -- back when my computer was marginally capable of handling DV. Now, however, I have the bother of getting around to converting a bunch of Canopus DV AVI files to MS DV AVIs, or the bother of keeping the propietary Canopus codec on my system so I can work with those files.

Unless there is a specific special purpose being served (eg SDI ingest), I just don't see the point of using proprietary capture cards for miniDV these days. For DV and HDV, I just use the onboard 1394 port.

Wade Spencer June 20th, 2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Okay, I'll ask this first. With the way modern editing is going, relying on CPU and Video for high speed rendering, and even realtime rendering, why should you tie yourself to a proprietary editing board still ?

Well, mainly for the inputs and outputs. As I mentioned, I would like to find something with a realtime output for a production monitor (not just back out of a firewire deck with a delay).

I also still use BetacamSP on occasion (for customers, usually), so I need hardware with component video and XLR balanced audio in/out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Also, when you say capture card, I assume you are referring to one that has its own proprietary codec, right ?

Sure. I'm open to options..I've been looking at the Matrox, but with my Canopus being done I'd just basically like to know what else is out there.

Keith - I built my current systems that work with DVStorm, and they were built around the system requirements for that card, so that won't be a problem. I'm curious to know how your decklink card works...

Wade Spencer June 20th, 2006 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
I agree with Chris. In the past I used a Canopus Raptor that served me well in its day -- back when my computer was marginally capable of handling DV. Now, however, I have the bother of getting around to converting a bunch of Canopus DV AVI files to MS DV AVIs, or the bother of keeping the propietary Canopus codec on my system so I can work with those files.

Unless there is a specific special purpose being served (eg SDI ingest), I just don't see the point of using proprietary capture cards for miniDV these days. For DV and HDV, I just use the onboard 1394 port.

So how do you guys get out to a production monitor? Back out of a firewire deck? I tried that and the delay between my computer monitor and the prod. monitor annoyed the crap out of me...lol

Chris Barcellos June 20th, 2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Spencer
So how do you guys get out to a production monitor? Back out of a firewire deck? I tried that and the delay between my computer monitor and the prod. monitor annoyed the crap out of me...lol

Wade: You raised some valid issues, and I wasn't knocking the potential choice, just trying to understand why one would go that way. You are obviously advanced in your production needs, and that may still be right way to go - ie., the various inputs and outputs.

Still, I think you should look at it. For instance, I have a generic dual output video card (ATI 700 something on a PCI express) One of the outputs is DVI, from which I run the monitor in Premeire to a 20 Dell HD monitor. If I would have been real smart, I would have gotten a monitor with component input, so I could monitor the HDV component output on my FX1.

So the point is take a look at the new options, in may leave more room to change in the future.

Henry Cho June 21st, 2006 01:19 AM

wade,

i was in a similar predicament to you. i was a bit panicked when i was faced with upgrading my system and had to shelve my canopus dvstorm2. i have to say tho, that i haven't missed it all that much. i can tell you there is life after dedicated hardware editing boards! :)

first, i'll assume you're still using dv.

dvstorm and premiere 6.5 ruled. that said, premiere pro runs FAR better and is much more stable not running in the canopus hardware environment. and i'm getting really decent real-time performance on system hardware alone.

if previewing to an external monitor is important to you, i would suggest taking that money and investing in a dv deck that allows firewire through it's analog video outs. i have a sony dhr1000, but most dv decks should allow this. i have my computer connected to the dv deck via firewire, and my dv deck connected to the external monitor via s-video (to bnc). i am able to preview the timeline in real-time, as long as the dv deck is powered up.

you will lose the analog i/o you had with the storm, but there are other relatively inexpensive hardware solutions.

hope that helps.

Roger Averdahl June 21st, 2006 06:10 AM

Quote:

I bought a Canopus ADVC300. The Canopus ADVC300 in connected to my computer with firewire and has analog outputs that i use for my monitor.

I assume that you are using Win XP with Service Pack 2. One some computers there is a delay when using SP2, but it can be fixed by replacing the file msdv.sys included in SP2 to msdv.sys that is included in SP1. When the file is replaced - no delay! :)

Canopus Video Converters

/Roger

Wade Spencer June 21st, 2006 07:42 AM

I have a Canopus ADVC500 that will stay with system when a new one is built, and I have a Canopus ADVC110 that I use with my laptop. I'm just trying to get away from the firewire delay...doesn't that drive you guys crazy?

I don't think that Premiere needs a hardware board to run properly, I'm just concerned with getting the connectivity, especially while still using Betacam.

So no one has the Matrox Axio yet?

Thanks for the responses everyone! I appreciate it!

Roger Averdahl June 21st, 2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

I'm just trying to get away from the firewire delay...doesn't that drive you guys crazy?

Yes it did and i provided a solution for that delay in my previous post in this thread.

/Roger

Wade Spencer June 21st, 2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl
Yes it did and i provided a solution for that delay in my previous post in this thread.

/Roger

Hehehe...sorry, I guess I missed that part. I'll give it a try! Thanks Roger!

Roger Averdahl June 21st, 2006 10:35 AM

In this thread on the Adobe forum there is a "how to do it" and a link to a msdv.dll from SP1 you can download if you dont have access to that file.

/Roger