DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   I need your help configuring PPro2.0 to output full screen previews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/73371-i-need-your-help-configuring-ppro2-0-output-full-screen-previews.html)

David Lach August 10th, 2006 10:20 AM

I need your help configuring PPro2.0 to output full screen previews

Let me start by saying that I'm all too aware that this has been asked countless times and I've read all the previous threads, but it didn't solve my problem.

I just upgraded my video card to a GeForce 7900GT and I'm trying to use a small CRT monitor via the S-Video output of the card for full screen previews in PPro 2.0. But so far I've not been able to get it to work.

I've done all the steps I could find specific to this issue, including the one found in Adobe's database (link).

I know it's possible, I remember doing it in PPro 1.5 though with a different card but still Nvidia.

I've done used dualview setting in Nvidia config pannel (also tried clone view), extended the desktop to the second monitor, set full screen video to auto-detect, etc. And the full screen video in the 2nd monitor works when I open a video file in WMP, but it won't from PPro. I've tried every different playback setting imaginable, now I'm out of ideas.

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

David Lach August 13th, 2006 09:52 AM

So nobody has this configuration or a similar config working successfully? Anybody can share the details of it if they do? It really bugs me not being able to output a full screen preview through the S-video port.

David Ziegelheim August 13th, 2006 11:27 AM

Are you trying to use dual monitors and the S-video out? I believe you are limited to two outputs. However, one should be ok as S-video or HD Component.

David Lach August 13th, 2006 12:06 PM

No, just one VGA out + one s-video out. It should be ok but it's not. That's what's driving me crazy. I've done everything I was supposed to do in order to get full screen previews and it isn't working.

I'm sure in my case the forest is hidden behind the tree and there's just one simple thing I have wrongly configured but as to what that is I have no idea. That's why I'd appreciate if somebody with a similar system (PPro 2.0 + any 6800+ Nvidia based card to an external monitor) could give me both his Nvidia control panel config and PPro 2.0 playback settings so I can try to duplicate it.

Chris Barcellos August 13th, 2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lach
No, just one VGA out + one s-video out. I know it should be ok but it's not. That's what's driving me crazy. I've done everything I was supposed to do in order to get full screen previews and it isn't working.

I'm sure in my case the forest is hidden behind the tree and there's just one simple thing I have wrongly configured but as to what that is I have no idea.

Okay. First, I assume you are in Windows XP.

First question is then, when you start up XP with the S-video monitor attached to the videio card, is there any image put to the S-Video monitor.

IF not, then you will have to set up Windows first:

You right click on the desk top, select properties, then select settings. You should see two representations of monitors up, 1 and 2, and you will see one of them is not very bright, indicating it is no selected. Depending on your hardware driver, you will have to enable it. I can't help you there, you will just have to work through. Ultimately, the only way to do what you want to do from Premiere is to extend the desktop to the second monitor, and that needs to be selected.

Once that is set up, you start Pemiere Pro 2. Make sure the "Program Monitor is showing on desk top. You then drag it over to the second monitor (in your case the Television) and you project will play on that monitor for preview.

Now, if you want more than that, it is my understanding that you need a separate break out box that will work with Premiere. I had that capability in Premiere 6.5, with a Pinnacle breakout, but I don't use it any more, as I am satisfied with what I can do using the program monitor window. (I actually tried Premiere 2.0 with the ProOne breakout box, and a conflict resulted. So you will need to be sure you have one that works with it, if that is the way you go.)

David Lach August 13th, 2006 12:33 PM

Chris, I'm indeed using XP and the 2nd monitor is extended already. I also have the full screen video setting set at auto-detect in the Nvidia control pannel. I'm using the latest unified driver from www.nvidia.com.

What I see in the 2nd monitor is a clone of my desktop's background without any icons. If I open any video file using Windows Media Player, I then have the video playing in a window on my main CRT monitor and the same video running full screen through the S-video to the 2nd monitor.

This is what I'm trying to achieve with Premiere and as far as what I've read, it should be possible unless they got rid of this feature in version 2.0 which would be complete non-sense on Adobe's part.

It was available in PPro 1.5. I was running an external monitor with an older Nvidia card which also had S-Video out like almost all the Nvidia cards do. I didn't have to drag the preview window to the second monitor, it would automatically send a full screen signal to it, just like Windows Media Player does.

I know it was working with the previous version of Premiere 1.5, so I don't know why it would no longer do with PPro 2.0 (then again, this is Adobe, and they've done stranger things in the past).

What are you guys all using for preview if not the S-video/HDTV out option? DV out?

Chris Barcellos August 13th, 2006 12:57 PM

David

I tried what you are trying to accomplish, but haven't ever figured it out.

I would assume that you would have to turn off selection in Windows that extends desk top to the second monitor, then through PPro 2.0, somehow access the second monitor through the PPro 2.0 interface. I can't see how that can be done at this point.

On HDV side, I think it was actually shown in one of the threads that you need to render to get a real "HDV" view of the project, so "real time" preview wasn't really possible.

I haven't explored SD out yet, because I have been fooling around with mostly HDV, and the conclusion about HDV and needing another breakout box and card lead me to believe it can't be done.

So in 1.51, how did you select out to the second monitor ?

David Lach August 13th, 2006 01:10 PM

It's been a really long while since I last used PPro 1.5 and even longer since I set this dual monitor config up but as far as I can remember, I didn't have to do anything with PPro. I only played with the config options in the Nvidia control panel and PPro would then act just as WMP does, by sending anything on the timeline (had to be rendered) to a full screen out via S-video. If it wasn't rendered, when you'd hit play the 2nd monitor would just go black. But you could still see the frames when scrubbing the timeline. Maybe you could choose the option to send the feed to a specific monitor through playback settings, I'm not sure, but I think I read that somewhere. But with PPro 2.0 the only external preview options you can choose in the playback settings are DV or none.

Chris Barcellos August 13th, 2006 01:23 PM

Yeah, I just looked at it again.

You got me curioius about 1.51 though, I will check it out, but that is the same kind of process I had in 6.5, with the Pinnacle breakout and Pinnacle ProOne board. Had to have the board there, though, so I am confused.

David Lach August 13th, 2006 01:32 PM

If only I could remember the card I had. It was a top-of-the-line Asus at one point, but that was maybe 3-4 years ago. I think it was a GeForce 4 (4700?).

I really don't want to have to buy an ADVC-100 to be able to convert the DV out to s-video nor do I want to use my XL2 as an intermediate everytime I edit, that's not practical for me. I was really hoping, even assuming I would just be able to plug and play. Didn't work out that way so far.

I mean Adobe can't assume everybody is going to preview through DV out can they? A full screen preview out should be a given on any edit system, I'm baffled I have such a hard time getting it to work.

David J. Payne August 14th, 2006 12:36 AM

what card have you got now? I have a geforce fx5600 and I cant even extend the desktop. Ive posted about 5 threads in different places about it and still havent solved the problem!!!

David Lach August 14th, 2006 07:27 AM

It's a 7900GT.

Chris Barcellos August 14th, 2006 09:23 AM

I'm running a PCI express ATI X-700 card, with VGA, S Video and DVI output. I output to the DVI into a Dell 20 inch 1680x1040 monitor as my extended desktop monitor. I have Premiere Pro 2.0 set up to open the program monitor on that side, but that was simply by undocking the program monitor from the program and dragging it over to the extended desk top side. I fill most of that monitor with the program monitor screen for previews. I still think that you need some sort of breakout card, and I haven't figured how Dave was doing it in 1.51 either unless there was a breakout box or a monitor that accepted firewire output. If anyone figures that one out, let me know..

David Lach August 14th, 2006 09:32 AM

Chris, I'm positive on this, granted I didn't dream all this, I was getting full screen previews through a simple Nvidia S-video out jack, no breakout box.

I don't like the idea of resizing the PPro window to fill a screen because you have to rely on PPro's rescaling algorithms which do a horrible job with noticeable jaggies and artifacts. Only way you won't get that is by using the 100% option and adjusting your screen resolution around the size of the window.

With S-Video out PPro simply sends the full screen feed to the video card which takes care of resizing it for the monitor, and that's of a much better quality. Plus I think if you configure the monitor as 640x480 that's a 1:1 conversion which means there is no resampling involved save for the pixel aspect ratio.

Chris Barcellos August 14th, 2006 09:39 AM

David: I agree with your tech analysis that it would be better that way and would like to know the hows whether in 1.51 or 2.0. I haven't figured it out, and hope that if it is doable someone here will explain process.

I know that you are not getting the "full quality level" in the preview on program monitor, and at this point, I am living with it. Now I haven't actually play with any program monitor settings, and don't even know if you can. I know Vegas has some ability to do that, but its output quality seems worse...

I will try the Svideo on my card out to my TV monitor tonight to see what happens there, either in 1.51 or 2.0....