DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   what wrong with this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/75519-what-wrong.html)

Roman Oulko September 14th, 2006 04:54 PM

what wrong with this?

Hello guys after capturing my footage now i have those horizontal lines. i did not have anything on camera lsd
here is pic: look at his leg
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1930/pic2in3.png

Boyd Ostroff September 14th, 2006 05:37 PM

Those look like typical interlace artifacts to me that result from fast motion. The camera captures all the odd numbered scan lines in the image, then 1/60th second later it captures the even numbered lines. When something moves fast, it's in a different place 1/60 second later, and this is what you get. Notice that the surfboard and the water don't show this effect as much, because they aren't moving as much as the person.

But I don't know anything about the software you're using. Some software makes the problem appear worse due to the way it draws on a computer screen.

If you watch the footage on an HDTV screen connected to the component output of the camera I think you'll find that it looks OK since this effect only occurs in 1/60 sec intervals and your eye will blend it together. But still frames from any interlaced camera tend to look like this when there's fast motion.

Roman Oulko September 14th, 2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Those look like typical interlace artifacts to me that result from fast motion. The camera captures all the odd numbered scan lines in the image, then 1/60th second later it captures the even numbered lines. When something moves fast, it's in a different place 1/60 second later, and this is what you get. Notice that the surfboard and the water don't show this effect as much, because they aren't moving as much as the person.

But I don't know anything about the software you're using. Some software makes the problem appear worse due to the way it draws on a computer screen.

If you watch the footage on an HDTV screen connected to the component output of the camera I think you'll find that it looks OK since this effect only occurs in 1/60 sec intervals and your eye will blend it together. But still frames from any interlaced camera tend to look like this when there's fast motion.

I use Adobe Premier 2.0 Unfortunatlly I have PAL system so i won't be able to use On HDTV here in USA.Is there anything i can do with my camera to change this? so it's not camera problem?

Boyd Ostroff September 14th, 2006 06:30 PM

Let's see what others think, but it looks like what I'd expect from an interlaced still image. However I assume you're more interested in how the video looks when viewed in motion. You shouldn't notice this effect in a moving image. Are you shooting in HDV or DV mode? What camera do you have, a PAL FX1? Using a PAL camera in the US is going to generally make your life harder unfortunately.

You could shoot in the cineframe mode (CF25) and see what you think. That will eliminate most of the problem, but also lowers your resolution. But if you're shooting in DV mode then it's not so much of an issue.

What exactly are you trying to do with the video, and why are you worried about how the still frames look?

Richard Hunter September 14th, 2006 06:43 PM

Hi Roman. You didn't say how you want to view the footage finally (e.g. computer screen, SD DVD) and this makes all the difference.

If you just want to view the footage on a PC screen without seeing these artifacts, I suggest you just render from PP2.0 into a progressive format video clip. You could try MPEG1 which is always progressive, or WMV which allows you to select interlaced or progressive.

If you are making an SD DVD for viewing on an NTSC screen, you can render the timeline as a 60i DVD-compatible MPEG2 clip. I'm not sure how well PP handles this, but beware that the frame rate conversion will introduce a bit of stuttering because extra frames have to be created when you transcode from 50i to 60i.

If you really want to do something in-camera (I assume you have an FX1 rather than a Z1), you could shoot in CF25 mode, which effectively deinterlaces before recording. You would then need to handle this in PP as 24p, which will go nicely on an NTSC type DVD. However, I would think that shooting 50i and converting in PP2.0 probably gives you more flexibility.

Richard

Roman Oulko September 14th, 2006 07:17 PM

hello guys thanks all replies . Well this problem happens not only in still images but also while playing a footage. Guys what is CF 25? i want to create a DVD that plays on NTSC System.

Boyd Ostroff September 14th, 2006 07:23 PM

No problem Roman. I've moved this thread to our Premiere forum because it sounds more like a software issue than a problem with your camera. You still haven't answered our question: what kind of camera do you have? Is it an FX1 or a Z1?

CF25 is the Cineframe setting which you can activate using the Picture Profile button. Richard has made some good suggestions if you want to make DVD's, but it sounds like you need a more detailed explanation of the procedure. I'll leave that to someone else since I'm on the Mac. But like I said, there are always going to be some problems with using a PAL camera in an NTSC country...

Roman Oulko September 14th, 2006 08:22 PM

I have Sony HDR FX1E camera. And i did search on Converting HD PAL to NTSC and on one of website dude says that there is no diffrence in HD pal and ntsc. Is it true?

Richard Hunter September 15th, 2006 07:29 PM

Hi Roman. The resolution is the same but the frame rates are different. However, as long as you select the correct NTSC DVD-compatible MPEG2 render format in Premiere, the file should be playable on an NTSC DVD after authoring. Whether the artifacts caused by the frame rate conversion are acceptable or not, you will need to try it out and judge for yourself. It's not just your personal tolerance, the source video affects the results enormously too.

Richard

Roman Oulko September 20th, 2006 10:15 PM

Ok guys i did capture In Sony Vegas 7.0 not in Adobe and i still have same problems. I still have those strips (horizontal lines ) please help

Calvin Wallace October 2nd, 2006 08:32 PM

All footage looks like that on the computer, so don't worry about it.