DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Weird Timecode in Capture window? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/77771-weird-timecode-capture-window.html)

Aviv Hallale October 19th, 2006 08:55 AM

Weird Timecode in Capture window?

I got some tapes of footage to edit, but in the capture window the time code is quite strange.

The beginning of the tape is approximately listed as 20:41:19:07

I can understand the last three sets of numbers being minutes, seconds and frames. But what is the 20? Also, when I hit play, the timecode counts up, rather that down. Has this tape just been shot badly? Ie, not recording from the beginning? There's only about 23 minutes of footage on each 60 minute Mini DV tape.

Steve House October 19th, 2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
I got some tapes of footage to edit, but in the capture window the time code is quite strange.

The beginning of the tape is approximately listed as 20:41:19:07

I can understand the last three sets of numbers being minutes, seconds and frames. But what is the 20? Also, when I hit play, the timecode counts up, rather that down. Has this tape just been shot badly? Ie, not recording from the beginning? There's only about 23 minutes of footage on each 60 minute Mini DV tape.

Timecode is hours:minutes:seconds:frames. And it should be counting up unless it's a negative number to begin with (broadcast tapes might start at -00:02:00;00 and count up to zero then on as a positive number. 23:58:00:00 is another start you'll see).

Aviv Hallale October 20th, 2006 07:04 AM

Why the 20 hours though? The tape doesn't have 20 hours of footage on it, and I doubt I've even captured that much...Is there a way to reset the counter

Pete Bauer October 20th, 2006 08:43 AM

Yes, a lot of camcorders allow you to set the starting timecode to whatever you'd like, and also some have a "free run" function that keeps the camera's timecode going continuously even when it is powered off.

Also, if the final divider symbol is a ":" rather than a ";" it means that it was recorded with non-dropframe timecode.

Aviv Hallale October 20th, 2006 09:28 AM

Dropframe timecode I'm assuming means that it's NTSC?

Does that Timecode mean that the camera has shot nearly 21 hours of video since last having its timecode reset?

Pete Bauer October 20th, 2006 09:53 AM

Yes, "dropframe" is something only those of us in NTSC-land have to worry about. I assume South Africa is PAL?

The timecode value doesn't necessarily reflect how much tape is run through the camera. It is more likely that either it has been in free run for at least that long, or that the counter was manually set to a large number. If I set my camera to free run at noon today, turn off the camera, and return to power the camera back on at 7PM, the timecode will be 07:00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss:ff). Or with many cameras I can go to the menu and choose a preset timecode value to start recording; maybe for some reason I want my tape to start at 21 hours.