DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Canon XH A1 - Premiere 2 - Audio capture sync (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/83048-canon-xh-a1-premiere-2-audio-capture-sync.html)

Tyler Graas January 3rd, 2007 11:50 AM

Canon XH A1 - Premiere 2 - Audio capture sync

Hey guys,

basically i am capturing 1080i video into premiere 2.0. But the audio is coming up out of sync from the capture.

I just unlink the clips and sync it by eye....but that is getting to be a pain in the you know what.

Anyone else experience this problem or know what is up?

thanks in advance.

Pete Bauer January 3rd, 2007 12:24 PM

Moved to the Premiere forum from HD/HDV Acquisition.

It MAY be that the capture is actually fine, and that there are latency issues upon playback through PPro. Try exporting a short piece from near the end of an unedited clip to DVD or a low-rez format and see if the audio is out of synch on the exported file when played back on a DVD player or on another computer. If not, then it is internal computer / PPro latency.

If it truly is out of synch, then I'm not sure...what are your system specs, especially the audio subsystem?

Brad Tyrrell January 3rd, 2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Graas
Hey guys,

basically i am capturing 1080i video into premiere 2.0. But the audio is coming up out of sync from the capture.

I just unlink the clips and sync it by eye....but that is getting to be a pain in the you know what.

Anyone else experience this problem or know what is up?

thanks in advance.

Always had that problem with PPro when capturing DV. The longer the clip the more out of sync. Went to Scenalyzer and no problem.

I've got my fingers crossed with HDVSplit now that I've got the XH-A1. Haven't used it yet. Will this weekend. Hope, Hope, Hope...

Charlie Durand January 3rd, 2007 03:02 PM

I have seen this issue on footage captured AFTER experiencing a "dropout" during capture.

That is.. I am capturing HDV footage.. I notice a "dropout", and then if I just keep capturing the footage after the dropout is out of the sync.

If I recapture the footage everything is fine.

I put dropout in quotes because it's not really a drop out in the sense that the data is on the tape and when I try the capture again the missing footage is there. I've posted questions about this in other forums but so far no one seems to know what is going on. It's only happened to me a few times so I'm not worried.

Ervin Farkas January 3rd, 2007 09:49 PM

My (limited) experience with HDV in PPRO is that you need a monster computer... just to run PPRO, forget doing anything else. You're much better off using HDVSplit, and close all other programs while doing the capture. Then import your clips and all is well.

Michael Y Wong January 4th, 2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Tyrrell
Always had that problem with PPro when capturing DV. The longer the clip the more out of sync. Went to Scenalyzer and no problem.

I've got my fingers crossed with HDVSplit now that I've got the XH-A1. Haven't used it yet. Will this weekend. Hope, Hope, Hope...

From my tests and what everyone else has stated, XH-A1 & HDVSplit does not work together. I am using v .75

Charlie Durand January 4th, 2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
My (limited) experience with HDV in PPRO is that you need a monster computer... just to run PPRO, forget doing anything else. You're much better off using HDVSplit, and close all other programs while doing the capture. Then import your clips and all is well.

I am not sure what you mean by a MONSTER computer. Maybe you could give your opinion of what a monster computer is.

I have had this computer for just over a year. It is a Pentium 4 running 3.4GHZ. 2GB DDR2 667 RAM, RAID 0 disks for the system and another RAID 0 for the data. The performance is pretty good.

I've edited a ton of SD video on this machine without any problems. It runs Premiere just fine in my opinion. The only thing I notice now is rendering takes a lot longer for HDV footage than it did with the SD footage.

I have monited CPU and DISK utilization during SD and HDV captures and they don't really look all that different. Premiere does not show the HDV footage as it is being captured so that probably is to make sure all resources go to capturing the data to disk.

Harm Millaard January 5th, 2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Durand
Premiere does not show the HDV footage as it is being captured so that probably is to make sure all resources go to capturing the data to disk.

I doubt that would be the reason, since the data rate during capture does not differ between DV and HDV, both are 25 Mbps and current HD's are fast enough to keep up with that stream. If I has to make a guess, I would assume that the release date they had set, prevented them from adding preview and scene detection. Just not enough time to accomplish before RTM date.

Charlie Durand January 5th, 2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard
I doubt that would be the reason, since the data rate during capture does not differ between DV and HDV, both are 25 Mbps and current HD's are fast enough to keep up with that stream. If I has to make a guess, I would assume that the release date they had set, prevented them from adding preview and scene detection. Just not enough time to accomplish before RTM date.

The data rate would be the same, yes. But the video being displayed would not and the extra CPU/resources required to decompress HDV compared to SD has to be considerable. This is my guess as to why you don't see the footage as it is being captured by Premiere.

Nonetheless I think I'm hijacking this thread. I was trying to offer an possible explanation for the audio being out of sync as I have had a similar experience recently.

Brad Tyrrell January 18th, 2007 08:55 AM

OK, I used it. HDVSplit works fine for me. But then all I want to do is capture not split.

I have always had a problem with Premiere capture and audio sync. Scenalyzer, now HDVSplit, solved my problem.

I have a pretty low-level laptop for capturing and didn't want to have to load Premiere. HDVSplit takes up very little space/ram, works fine, and the captured files drop into Premiere on my desktop with no sync problems.