DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Capturing using alternate programs - why? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/86191-capturing-using-alternate-programs-why.html)

John Hewat February 10th, 2007 11:07 PM

Capturing using alternate programs - why?

I'm wondering why some people capture using specific programs and then edit in their NLE.

I edit in PPro (1.5.1) and have never even considered looking for alternate capture methods until recently. Capturing footage from my V1P has resulted in timecode discrepencies between the mini-dv tape and the timecode on the captured footage.

So I'm wondering what the advantages are of using an alternate program for capture.

Thanks,
-- John.

Chris Barcellos February 11th, 2007 01:06 AM

I assume you are talking about HDV footage from the V1P. 1.51 actually captures in Cineforms early intermediate codec, for editing in Premiere. The Vegas users had to use HD Connect to access and capture and edit in the intermediate Cineform. The reason people use Cineform that while the files are larger, it is easier to process in the edit. They are just large .avi files.

With the advent of faster processors, and dual processors, Vegas also added a capability in some editor configurations to edit in "native" hdv. Premiere followed suit in 2.0. The word is you are still better off if you are doing a lot of editing, to use the intermediate type files.

Others capture hdv in stand alone programs. HDVSplit, for instance was use because neither Vegas or PP 2.0 scene detected. (Vegas now does, but PPro does not.)

Hope that answered some questions.

Paul R Johnson February 11th, 2007 10:35 AM

I bought DV Rack and found it much more useful, capture wise. The new version is even better. The main benefit to me is simply being able to play the tape, and each hit of the record button starts a new file, with no dropped frames - it can also record via a buffer so even if you are late hitting the button, the bit you wanted is in the clip. It allows you to get all the footage in, dump unwanted portions, invert the image if you've shot upside down - swap horizontals - check levels all in one bit of software. you can change file names and plenty of other features that beat the built in capture system in premiere.

Ervin Farkas February 11th, 2007 05:31 PM

One other reason...

... is to spare computing power. You have probably noticed that if you capture directly into your NLE, that's pretty much all you can do, your NLE will eat up all of your resources. Not everyone is using the latest and greatest/fastest computer. So, while capturing with a small utility, you can still use your computer to do other things on it.

John Hewat February 11th, 2007 07:46 PM

Thanks for all your answers, guys. It sounds as though it's basically a matter of convenience rather than a quality control issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
HDVSplit, for instance was use because neither Vegas or PP 2.0 scene detected. (Vegas now does, but PPro does not.)

Chris, PPro Does do scene detect - unless you're referring to a function that I'm unfamiliar with...

Mike Teutsch February 11th, 2007 07:54 PM

One last point, if you record four channel sound on you camera, Premiere won't capture the 3rd and 4th channel. You need another program like Scenalizer to get the other two channels.

Mike

Mike Teutsch February 11th, 2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat
Thanks for all your answers, guys. It sounds as though it's basically a matter of convenience rather than a quality control issue.

Chris, PPro Does do scene detect - unless you're referring to a function that I'm unfamiliar with...

Last I checked on mine, no scene detect with HDV footage, unless you have CineForm.

Mike

Chris Barcellos February 12th, 2007 03:20 AM

Mike and I have the same version of 2.0. Scene detect in DV only.

Mike Teutsch February 12th, 2007 06:59 AM

I should add that my Scenalizer won't do HDV. I use a mixer now if I need more audio input for my XLH1.

Another question, if I capture using CineForm to capture, are the avi files on the drive still in the regular HDV format, or are they conformed to CineForm codec. I need to capture some tapes to a harddrive to give to someone else, and he does not have CineForm. I would like to use scene detect for his files, but need to make sure he can use them.

Thanks----Mike

John Hewat February 13th, 2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Last I checked on mine, no scene detect with HDV footage, unless you have CineForm.

Mike

Can you clarify this for me? I am under the impression that PPro includes a cineform codec to create a HDV avi file. As far as I knew, everyone who has PPro has 'cineform'.

As opposed to Aspect HD, which is a kind of plug-in, right? That has all sorts of other features, but basically, the 'cineform' codec is part of the PPro package, right?

Because there's no two ways about it, I have 'scene detect' on my PPro 1.5.1 capture window. And it captures HDV and divides the tape into individual clips.

Ervin Farkas February 13th, 2007 07:01 AM

What version?

John,

You must be using an earlier version on PPRO - what you are referring to is the free update from Adobe, that only works on versions prior to 2.0.

So no, not everyone who has PPRO also has Cineform. 2.0 can edit HDV natively, not the decompressed .avi files but the original .m2t files, and unfortunately Adobe didn't include the scene detect feature for that.

John Hewat February 16th, 2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas
John,

You must be using an earlier version on PPRO - what you are referring to is the free update from Adobe, that only works on versions prior to 2.0.

I am - I'm using 1.5.1. The extra '.1' part being the update from Adobe for HDV editing.

Chris Barcellos February 16th, 2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hewat
I am - I'm using 1.5.1. The extra '.1' part being the update from Adobe for HDV editing.

John: Understand that PPro 1.51 edits HDV by intermediary file, and not in native format. That intermediary is not present or usable in PPro 2.0. I have 1.51 on my system still because of that. Most consider that it is actually better to edit in the intermediary file, but Cineform indicates that intermediate 1.51 file has limitations, as opposed to the updated versions in Aspect and HD Connect.