DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Anyone using the V1U with Premiere Pro yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/87253-anyone-using-v1u-premiere-pro-yet.html)

Craig Irving February 22nd, 2007 11:16 AM

Anyone using the V1U with Premiere Pro yet?

Has anyone managed to figure out a 24P workflow for PPro 2.0 by any chance? Or are Premiere users waiting for 3.0 to come out?

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 22nd, 2007 05:19 PM

For the moment, you'll need to capture with the CineForm tools, or use an HD-SDI card, or use the Black Magic Intensity.
Those are your only options until the software is updated. NAB is coming...perhaps you'll get a better answer then.

Craig Irving February 28th, 2007 11:32 AM

Has anyone had much success editing with the BlackMagic Intensity? I didn't know that I could edit uncompressed HD from the BlackMagic without using CineForm's tools (as great as they seem to be, it's just not in my budget atm).

Am I correct in understanding that Premiere Pro 2.0 can edit uncompressed HD smoothly and with proper support for the V1U's 24P as well? Is there something that CineForm would offer over this workflow that I'm overlooking?

Steve Mullen February 28th, 2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 633436)
Has anyone had much success editing with the BlackMagic Intensity? I didn't know that I could edit uncompressed HD from the BlackMagic without using CineForm's tools (as great as they seem to be, it's just not in my budget atm).

CineForm now fully supports HDMI via BlackMagic Intensity. I know it costs "extra" above PP 2, but if you think you need to work work with an intermediate codec -- I don't see how you can afford not to buy Aspect HD. The product is just too good not to put on a credit card.

I assume one doesn't get TC via HDMI so using does prevent batch recapture.

Chris Gerow March 5th, 2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 630041)
Has anyone managed to figure out a 24P workflow for PPro 2.0 by any chance? Or are Premiere users waiting for 3.0 to come out?

I have been playing around with it. I took some footage from a Canon XH-A1 at my local store and loaded it on my Laptop. I think both the Canon and the Sony V1 are MPEG-2 formats. Then transferred it to my big system – where Premiere Pro resides. I did download the Canon HD files from Adobe and I have been pleased with the results. I’ve changed a few clips, pulled out parts of a clip, added some titles and built an output MPEG - m2v file – and VLC reads it fine with quality equal to the input (using my mark one eyeball).

The bad news: My 2.5 minute clip had a lot of changes and it took 25 minutes to render. I also had some problems is translating it to an AVI file – I let a 2.5 minute clip run for 1 hour – it was a little over a 1/3 done – I canceled it – not usable.

Net: It seems to work fine – just a little slow on the rendering

ChrisG

Craig Irving March 5th, 2007 03:24 PM

Chris,

I conceded and decided to try Aspect HD. It really is amazing and does edit much smoother.

That said, I just can't bring myself to buy it until I know what Adobe is going to be doing with their new Production Suite. CineForm also announced that they would be talking about some "new adobe stuff" at NAB this year, so maybe that means bundling their intermediate codec with the new version of Adobe (like they do with Sony Vegas).

However, there will still be compelling reasons to invest in Aspect HD at that point also, but I'm going to wait and see how it pans out.

On a side note, does anyone know if it's a one-time purchase and if you pay for upgrades (aside from small patches and bug fixes) ? I assume a major version upgrade would cost more, but what kind of history does CineForm have for charging for upgrades?