DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Capture Error PLASE HELP! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/90143-capture-error-plase-help.html)

Jason Leonard March 28th, 2007 04:32 PM

Capture Error PLASE HELP!

EVERY STEP OF THE WAY IS A SOUL MURDERING STRUGGLE!!!!!
ok, so heres the deal...
i'm using Premiere Pro (7) and recently the program has developed some sort of bug.
Each time i finish a clips capture the program shuts down. Well, first it gives me a infuriating "Premiere has encounterd a problem..." box, but then, of course, its lights out. This happens as the dialog box to save the clips details appears. It's without fail. Everytime i re-open i have to go into the video drive, find the now "untitled clip" and rename it, import it into the time line, save and capture the next clip...which of course lands us back a square one.
i cannot express how irritating this is as i am editing a feature length piece and EVERYTAKE the program has to be restarted.
I was hoping that someone out there would be able to give me some insight on this error, anyone.
i have already uninstalled/reinstalled this program, ran virus protection, defraged the drives...ohhhh sweeeeeeet rage.
anybody have anything?
all kinds of thank yous in advance.

Chris Barcellos March 28th, 2007 04:52 PM

Okay, start with the program. Premiere Pro is 1 or 2. Vegas currently has a 7. Premiere may had 6.5 and maybe a 7 before the Pro series. What are you actually using ?

What are you saving the files to. On board hard drive, or USB drive, or what ?

What kind of file capture-- HDV, DV ??

Are you log capturing ?

Are saving under an illegal name ?

Once up, after capture, is the editor working okay ?

John Miller March 28th, 2007 05:03 PM

Assuming you are capturing DV, have you tried using Windows Movie Maker? (Not permanently - just as a troubleshooting option). If capturing works with Movie Maker and the files can then be opened by Premiere, it does suggest a specific issue with Premiere.

The crashing when the save dialog appears may also provide a clue - does it display any thumbnails or such like? Have you installed any "unusual" codecs?
Has this problem always happened?

Jason Leonard March 28th, 2007 05:11 PM

Ok,
i am using Premier Pro, which I believe is the version after 6.5 but before 1.5.
I havent installed any new codecs and it hasnt always done this.
i am capturing Standard DV to a HDD on board, nothing external.
I cant unerstand this.
i will try the movie maker idea but are you sure there will be no hiccups?
i;ll give it a shot.
oh the furry

Ervin Farkas March 28th, 2007 08:53 PM

Premiere 7.0 was the first name used for Premiere Pro or an intermediary version that was quickly replaced. It's basically the same as PPRO 1.5 as far as I know.

I am using Premiere Pro 1.5.1 (1.5 with the free HD upgrade from Adobe) and have recently experienced something similar. I was working on a project where I mixed DV and HDV footage and PPRO was shutting off in the middle of capturing DV footage. After some troubleshooting I found that the HDV footage was 25i... I was basically just messing around, testing different settings, trying to bring out the highest quality possible, and the HDV footage was something I downloaded from the internet without checking... the DV footage was 30i. Long story short, when trying to play the HDV footage (even without having PPRO running), the computer would go to blue screen and a Windows Explorer error message for a few seconds, then back to normal. I got rid of that footage and all is well now. I suspect something was wrong with the footage itself, was saved with the wrong extension or timecode errors or who knows what.

Hopefully this can start you off on finding a solution. I would try starting a new project saved to an entirely different location (possibly another hard drive) and see what happens. Until you figure out what's going on, you could try WinDV freeware to capture your footage, or WinMovie Maker as suggested above.

Good luck,

Jason Leonard March 29th, 2007 09:37 AM

Hello all,
THanks for all your help so far. I still have not figured out what the problem could be and it is driving me crazy.
i have no idea what to do from here except just put up with the problem.
i will conduct more test and report my findings so that maybe someone can identify the problem.
ervin, i didnt touch any settings.

thanks.

Brian Brown March 29th, 2007 09:59 AM

Jason, sorry for your woes. I think your best bet is to head over to the Adobe Forums site and post your issues there. http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/ That forum is NOT moderated by Adobe's folks, however, but still has a bunch of helpful and knowledgeable users that may be able to get to the bottom of this problem for you.

Good luck,
Brian Brown

Jason Leonard March 29th, 2007 09:33 PM

OK, so the capture works with Movie Maker, still no luck with premiere.
I have tried saving to another location and still get the same results.
feelin defeated.
thanks for the adobe link sir, i posted and i have my fingers crossed.