DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Audio and Video Not in Sync (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/91621-audio-video-not-sync.html)

Roland Gatto April 16th, 2007 06:36 AM

Audio and Video Not in Sync

Hello!

I filmed my buddy in concert the other night, and the clip is 37 minutes long. I did start/stop filming, but there is no space in between different shots.

I filmed him using a Canon HV20 - HDV setting
Img Size: 1440x1080
Frame Rate: 29.97
Audio: 48 kHz, 16 bit
Aspect Ratio: 1.333

When I play the captured mpeg in WMP, everything looks fine. However, Premiere Pro 2 is not keeping the audio and video in sync with each other (even though the audio layer is linked with the video layer).

When I export the movie, the audio is still not in sync with the video.

If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Roland Gatto April 16th, 2007 07:09 AM

Well, I think I'm on to something...

I tried recapturing just a few minutes of the same material and importing into the timeline....the new stuff is all in sync!

Which leads me to believe either
A.) PPro2 can't handle syncing long pieces of audio and video
B.) My computer can't handle syncing long pieces of audio and video

Here are my specs:
Intel 1.5GHZ
512mb RAM
Integarted video card

What do you pros think? Is PPro2 the culprit, or my computer? Thanks!!

Kevin Amundson April 16th, 2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Gatto (Post 661098)
Here are my specs:
Intel 1.5GHZ
512mb RAM
Integarted video card

All of these specs seem low for HDV editing.

I could not find the minimum specs for PP2 but for PP CS3 they recommend:
3.4GHz processor for HDV
2GB of RAM for HDV

My conclusion is that it's your computer that has the issues.

Roland Gatto April 16th, 2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Amundson (Post 661121)
All of these specs seem low for HDV editing.

I could not find the minimum specs for PP2 but for PP CS3 they recommend:
3.4GHz processor for HDV
2GB of RAM for HDV

My conclusion is that it's your computer that has the issues.

3.4 GHz?! Does INTEL CORE 2 DUO T7200 2.00GHZ count as 2Ghz or 4Ghz since it duo?

Ervin Farkas April 16th, 2007 10:19 AM

Hdvsplit

Your computer specs are indeed too low for what you're trying to do, but you can work around it. Capture the footage using HDVSPLIT (just Google it), then import the footage into PPRO. Editing will be slow but it will work.

Roland Gatto April 16th, 2007 11:48 AM

Everyone swears by HDV Split, but I just don't get it. I tried out the program and had problem after problem with it. The preview screen wouldn't work, drivers would be missing, the captured files wouldn't play...ehhh

What advantage does HDV Split have over Premiere's capturing?

Ervin Farkas April 16th, 2007 12:25 PM

Yes, you will have to do some work before you can start using HDVSplit, but it will pay you back. The main reason it will work where PPRO won't is that PPRO by itself eats up most of your sluggish PC resources. As far as playing the m2t footage back, forget Windows Media Player, again, your resources are eaten up by the very program you're trying to use for playback. Google around for Media Player Classic, it will play back your HDV.

Oh, and by the way, turn OFF the preview while capturing with HDVSplit; just watch the footage on your camcorder's screen. Your computer is way too slow to do all of that at the same time. You need to understand the nature of MPEG2 - while with standard definition DV you're feeding your computer all of the frames "ready to eat" (display), with HDV you're only feeding the ingredients and the PC has to "prepare the meal" figuratively speaking.

Roland Gatto April 16th, 2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 661279)
Yes, you will have to do some work before you can start using HDVSplit, but it will pay you back. The main reason it will work where PPRO won't is that PPRO by itself eats up most of your sluggish PC resources. As far as playing the m2t footage back, forget Windows Media Player, again, your resources are eaten up by the very program you're trying to use for playback. Google around for Media Player Classic, it will play back your HDV.

Oh, and by the way, turn OFF the preview while capturing with HDVSplit; just watch the footage on your camcorder's screen. Your computer is way too slow to do all of that at the same time. You need to understand the nature of MPEG2 - while with standard definition DV you're feeding your computer all of the frames "ready to eat" (display), with HDV you're only feeding the ingredients and the PC has to "prepare the meal" figuratively speaking.

hmm nicely put. thanks for explaining!

Michael Y Wong April 16th, 2007 06:30 PM

I find my best workflow for file capture is to capture the entire tape in pp2.0. Only after the entire file is captured, then run HDVSplit to split & sync the .m2t.

Strnagely I find HDVSplit capturing from the camera to yield occasional crashes here and there.

Roland Gatto April 16th, 2007 09:58 PM

what happens if you instruct premiere to capture the entire tape, but you have only recorded 30min worth of footage? will it stop capturing automatically?

John Hewat April 17th, 2007 06:22 AM

HDV Split has been a complete failure and waste of time for me too. I've never successfully got it to work.

Does anyone know the maximum time I can capture in PPro for before the sync will start to stuff up?

It's a real pain for long wedding ceremonies and performances and stuff because i cut the footage every ten minutes or so just to be on the safe side. But can I capture as long as 15 minutes? 20??