DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Captured HDV with Final Cut - Can't import on Premiere (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/92104-captured-hdv-final-cut-cant-import-premiere.html)

Ivo Silva April 22nd, 2007 12:08 PM

Captured HDV with Final Cut - Can't import on Premiere

Hello,

I've just started to shoot my final project at university, and I've captured some HDV shots with Final Cut Pro at a studio in the university. Now i'd like to edit it within Premiere Pro 2.0 (because i'm more confortable with it), but don't know how to import the files.

OSX files don't have an extension, so my files are named simply "S05P01T01" and so on, where in windows they'd be something like "S05P01T01.avi".

Using GSpot i've learned that the codec used is "hdv3", but using google didn't help me much.

I've used a Sony HVR-Z1E, and shot it in HDV. I captured using an external tape deck, from Sony as well, but I don't know the model name.

Is there a way to import them back to Premiere, or do I just have to recapture the files in a PC?

Chris Harris April 22nd, 2007 12:11 PM

Try adding a .mov extension to the end of the files, and then importing. It may work, but I've never tried it myself. I've done Premiere-captured files in Final Cut Pro, but not the other way around. Let us know how it goes!

Ivo Silva April 22nd, 2007 12:12 PM

I already did that, and the image is white with sound, no actual picture...

Chris Harris April 22nd, 2007 12:17 PM

Hmm, sounds like you're going to have to either re-encode the files, which is lossy, or recapture in Premiere. I'd just recapture and avoid the headache. Maybe someone else here will have another solution.

Ivo Silva April 22nd, 2007 12:23 PM

And could you please tell me how to re-encode the files?

I don't mind working with low-res and then replace those files with hi-res for future export.

Chris Harris April 22nd, 2007 12:33 PM

A free program called VirtualDub would be a great place to start, it should be able to handle the conversion. I'm not sure exactly how to do it, because I haven't done it before. Plus, I haven't used VirtualDub in a long time, I work on a Mac now.

Sorry I couldn't go into any more detail!

Ivo Silva April 22nd, 2007 12:34 PM

Thanks, will give it a try!

Giroud Francois April 22nd, 2007 01:29 PM

you have to know wich codec you used to capture on mac.
it can be native HDV (in this case your files can be renamed m2t or mpg) or alternative apple codec (in this case i am not sure there is an equivalent for PC).

Ivo Silva April 22nd, 2007 01:32 PM

The codec is HDV3 (at least that was what I found using Gspot)

Josh Chesarek April 28th, 2007 10:55 PM

I ran into this issue when my friend captured some footage onto his mac for me. From what I remember it is because the mac used "Streaming DV" (not sure if that is what it is called) which seemed to be an apple imovie thing. Fairly sure you can change your capture format on final cut express and up. I ended up just recapturing it in premiere as that took just as long as rendering it out and saved the quality.

Ivo Silva April 30th, 2007 07:50 AM

Me too... I solved my problem by recapturing it all on a Windows PC.