DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Computer crashes while capturing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/92360-computer-crashes-while-capturing.html)

Mathieu Ghekiere April 25th, 2007 07:18 AM

Computer crashes while capturing

Okay, strange problem:

I'm capturing with my GS200 in Premiere Pro 1.5, and everytime I begin to capture, the computer just after a few seconds, crashes like and just restarts. It's strange because I've captured before with this computer, never had a problem. The computer hasn't been very much used for a couple of months, but all the other functions on the computer are working fine.

Any suggestions what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Ervin Farkas April 25th, 2007 11:42 AM

Same here

My PC running PPRO 1.5 started doing the same thing a while ago. In my case it's probably some software conflict - I like experimenting with different programs that end up working against each other... when I can't take it anymore, I just reformat the whole thing.

As a temporary work-around I am capturing with alternative software, it gave me the opportunity to play some more. The only one that's working fine so far, is Windows Movie Maker... I tested DVIO, it drops frames... tested VirtualDub, audio goes way out of sync. At least I had a chance to give WMM some work...

Anyway, other ideas are welcome and let's share our experience for the benefit of this community.

Trond Saetre April 26th, 2007 02:07 AM

Have you installed any other software/made any changes since last time you could capture without problems?

Have you tried to reinstall Premiere?

Mathieu Ghekiere April 26th, 2007 03:21 AM

Hi,

I haven't tried re-installing PP1.5, maybe I'll look into it.
I tried capturing with Windows Movie Maker, and it indeed worked (who would have thought that), but then I had a problem importing that footage into Premiere Pro 1.5.
Maybe I'll look into an upgrade to Premiere Pro 2.0.

Could it have to do with windows Media Player 11?
I tried to play an DV Avi file in Windows Media Player 11, but while sound went normal, the images were jerky.
I never had the problem with earlier versions of Windows Media Player.

Trond Saetre April 26th, 2007 06:05 AM

Ok, I'm not an expert about this, but I do not believe windows media player 11 causes the problems.
I run that one myself, and never experienced any trouble playing DV AVI.
(My NLE is Premiere Pro 2.0)
When you say jerky playback, this could indicate that some other processes take up resources from the CPU.
Have you checked in windows task manager if the CPU load is at or close to 100% during playback? If so, check which processes are using the CPU.

Regarding your capture, I would first try to reinstall Premiere and see if that helps.

Anyone else with good ideas?

Mathieu Ghekiere April 26th, 2007 11:56 AM

Now I played a DV AVI file from an external HDD, and it played without problems. If I try the same from a file on my C: or D: disk, it goes jerky...

Although I have to say the DV file from the external HDD is only 700 mb, and the files on my other HDD's 4-15 gigabyte.

Trond Saetre April 26th, 2007 02:35 PM

Now I'm kinda lost.
Haven't heard about this problem before, so I'm not sure if I can help you with this one.

But what if you try one of the bigger files from your C or D drive? Do you get the same jerky playback?

Mathieu Ghekiere April 27th, 2007 02:51 AM

Well, the ones on the C and D drive are the big ones.
I'll try some configurations and I'll see where I'll end.

Thanks for the reactions!

Harm Millaard April 27th, 2007 03:36 AM

Mathieu,

I would suspect with these symptoms that it is a hardware problem. I would check the following in order to find the culprit:

1. Check the temperature of your CPU, mobo and HD's. Running too hot can cause these reboots. Use Speedfan or something similar for that.

2. Check your graphics card. I recently had a dying card which caused the exact same problem and that may relate to the jerkiness you described.

3. Check your PS. Often these kind of problems are related to the power supply.

Jon Jaschob April 27th, 2007 01:43 PM

Sound Card

I once had this problem using the MB's sound card/chip, switched to a blaster pci card and it fixed the problem. I could also capture turning the MB's sound chip off, then back on to edit.....frickin computers :-)

Jon

Mathieu Ghekiere April 28th, 2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 668367)
Mathieu,

I would suspect with these symptoms that it is a hardware problem. I would check the following in order to find the culprit:

1. Check the temperature of your CPU, mobo and HD's. Running too hot can cause these reboots. Use Speedfan or something similar for that.

2. Check your graphics card. I recently had a dying card which caused the exact same problem and that may relate to the jerkiness you described.

3. Check your PS. Often these kind of problems are related to the power supply.

Thanks,

question: how do you 'check' your graphics card?

I know some things about editing, but very little about computers, unfortunately.

Trond Saetre April 28th, 2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 669018)
question: how do you 'check' your graphics card?

You can use another graphics card, and see if you still have the problem.