DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   OnLocation Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/98681-onlocation-question.html)

Paul Cascio July 9th, 2007 12:02 PM

Is OnLocation just DVRack 2?

I have DVRack2 and I love it, so I was looking forward to OnLocation, figuring it would be a next generation product. Howeer, it looks like DVRack 2. Are there any new feature that would warrant an upgrade?

Paul Cascio July 11th, 2007 08:35 AM

OnLocation Question

Anyone know what improvements have been made since the last DVRack release?

Thanks

Philip Fass July 12th, 2007 02:31 PM

No, but I think a new version is in the works.

Paul Cascio July 12th, 2007 04:38 PM

Phillip, what do you mean? If they just released Onlocation, how long before a new version?

I DLed the demo version and see nothing changed from DVRack.

Harm Millaard July 12th, 2007 04:56 PM

Probably two years. That is the regular upgrade sequence for Adobe. If you look at the speed with which they updated CS2 to CS3, or better said 2.00 to 2.01, just a point release, not a version upgrade, and kept bugs in, in some cases even enlarged problems and removed functionality, it makes you wonder what they are trying to prove, while at the same time charging extravagant prices...

Philip Fass July 13th, 2007 04:03 AM

The SM team (now at Adobe) takes suggestions for new features, and implies that other features are in the works. It won't be soon, and it may not be a stable upgrade, but there will probably be some interesting bells & whistles eventually. Meanwhile, save your money.

Brad Tyrrell July 19th, 2007 06:44 AM

On Location Pulsing Monitor

Just installed OnLocation but the monitor is pulsing. Very regular about ½ second intervals, looks like some sort of interference but I don't think so.

Using the xh-a1 and the lcd on the camera doesn't pulse. Hdvsplit doesn't pulse (no monitor though). Played back a recorded clip in OL and the pulsing was there. The waveform monitor pulses also.

Any ideas? Settings I overlooked?

Thanks.

Dan Wilder August 29th, 2007 03:41 PM

A little slow on the reply but I've seen this too... and with an A1 as well. It appears to have something to do with the black level. It's not there when I load the footage into Premiere Pro so I've just been ignoring it. I keep meaning to go over to the support forum and see if there's anything on it but it's been low on my list. I miss Serious Magic support.

-Dan

Brad Tyrrell August 30th, 2007 07:30 AM

Yeah, not there in Premiere so I don't worry about it anymore. Just wish there were an explanation somewhere so that I wouldn't have worried about it in the first place. Probably something to do with not using too much processor power for the display section when capturing.

Should this be a sub in the Premiere area of the forums now that OnLocation is part of the CS3 package?

Hugh DiMauro February 1st, 2008 11:27 AM

Does DV Rack Version 1.2.1490.0 Support 24Pa?

I have the original DV rack and capture using type II avi. But does this support my Panasonic DVX 100b 24Pa mode?

Paul Cascio February 2nd, 2008 06:36 PM

Does OnLocation record sound better than HDV tape?

I was wondering if the sound coming from the FW into OL is different, i.e. better than if recorded on tape?

Seth Bloombaum February 2nd, 2008 11:18 PM

Nope - same camera preamps, same encoder to DV or HDV signal, what comes down firewire should be identical to what goes on tape, and DVRack design philosophy is to put that signal on hard drive with nothing modified, added, or taken away.

Barring tape damage the FW signal should be identical in every way.

There are a few cameras that do have outputs that bypass encoders for a live signal, eg. the Sony HVR-V1 has an HDMI output that on a live shot is closer to raw, the EX1 has SDI/HD-SDI with embedded audio. But DVRack only works with firewire DV and (with DVRack 2HD) HDV.