DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What do you all think of the new Schoeps shotgun? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/101428-what-do-you-all-think-new-schoeps-shotgun.html)

Stephen Pruitt August 15th, 2007 05:01 PM

What do you all think of the new Schoeps shotgun?

Hi all. . .

I have a boom-mounted Schoeps CMC541 mic for close-micing and a pair of CMC64s to record ambience. I am curious if I should pick up a Sennheiser MKH416 or if I'd find the Schoeps to more closely match my other gear sonically. Apparently, the Schoeps is pretty hard to find, however.

I will be using this mic primarily for indie feature film work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Stephen

Abe Dolinger August 15th, 2007 05:28 PM

I haven't heard the CMIT5U, but I can tell you that my 416 sounds nothing like my CMC64. I'd recommend sticking with Schoeps.

Trew Audio lists the CMIT5U in its online catalogue.

Jim Boda August 15th, 2007 06:13 PM

I've been using the 5U for more than a year and it's a great sounding mic. Previously using the ME66, the difference in quality is dramatic.

I'm mostly in situations where I can get the mic pretty close. The 416 may perform a little better at greater distances.

The 5U is a very sensitive mic, in that unlike the 416...taps, bumps, or hand slides on the boom pole will easily transfer to the mic. The cheaper Ktek shockmount is not a good option.

Like most shotguns, the 5U underperforms in reflective spaces.

Stephen Pruitt August 15th, 2007 06:36 PM

Hey there, Jim. . .

Since you've used both the Schoeps and the 416, can you give me any clue as to how they sound different?

I'm a bit concerned about the noise factor you mention. Have you found the extra sensitivity, on balance, a plus or a minus?

Thanks very much.

Stephen

Ty Ford August 15th, 2007 08:37 PM

I have samples of both in the audio folder in my online archive.

The CMIT sounds quite like my CMC 641.

The CMIT is VERY difficult to get. They sell to the real pros very quickly.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Stephen Pruitt August 15th, 2007 10:12 PM

I thought it was tough to get in hand. Alas. . .

Stephen

Jim Boda August 16th, 2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt (Post 729642)
Hey there, Jim. . .

Since you've used both the Schoeps and the 416, can you give me any clue as to how they sound different?

I'm a bit concerned about the noise factor you mention. Have you found the extra sensitivity, on balance, a plus or a minus?

Thanks very much.

Stephen

I haven't used the 416 that much...but, my initial reaction was that the 416 was lacking some richness of tonal quality that I had been acustomed to w/ the Schoeps. But, after a couple days of usage the 416 started to grow on me...especially in the case of using less experienced boom operators.

The extra sensitivity of the 5U is something that I had to adjust to. It makes you work harder, but the results are terrific.

The 416 sets a good standard. The 5U takes it up another notch when you can get it in the 16" distance range from the subject.