DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Zoom H2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/101695-zoom-h2.html)

Michael J. Long August 20th, 2007 03:47 AM

Zoom H2

I'm awaiting delivery of the new Zoom H2, which I ordered in May. Is anyone using it ? I know it's a smaller version of the H4, How do you bring it in the computer to edit and then add it to your video ? Thanks
Mike

Colin Willsher August 20th, 2007 05:15 AM

Hi Michael,

I would preume it's the same as the H4 in that you simply plug it into your USB port and it appears as an external drive on the desktop. Simply drag the audio files where you want them and import them into your DAW or video editing software.

Beware though that there has been much talk of poor sync when using H4 recorded audio material with video. It would be interesting to know if they have resolved this in the H2.

Colin

Michael Liebergot August 20th, 2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael J. Long (Post 731383)
I'm awaiting delivery of the new Zoom H2, which I ordered in May. Is anyone using it ? I know it's a smaller version of the H4, How do you bring it in the computer to edit and then add it to your video ? Thanks
Mike

Michael like you, I don't think anyone has received one yet to give you any feedback.
Zoom delayed the release of the recorder to redesign and upgrade the built in mics. As such the release of the recorder was delayed until sometime this month (August) (or so they say).
Like you, I will be one fo the first to receive a unit as I was one of the first in a pre-order batch (ordered in April).
But until then I am also awaiting delivery of my H2.

You have already received the right response in how to upload and sync in your computer. Transfer files off of SD card onto your system. Import the audio in your NLE and sync with your video.

The H4 (I also own an Edirol R09 and Edirol R4) does not stay in sync as was told as well, so you might want to be careful not to rely on this unit for crucial sync audio for your video.
I use the H4 for master audio, but my edit workflow is not documentary syle.
So I use the audio as a master audio track (along with wireless audio) and then run various clips over it to create my story.
If they have resolved the sync issue then, this should be one hell of a bargain for what the recorder will offer.

Jon R. Haskell August 20th, 2007 12:46 PM

I am glad I saw this posting. The Zoom was recommended to me and was ready to buy it. Are there comparable products that do not have the problem?
jon

Michael Liebergot August 20th, 2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon R. Haskell (Post 731586)
I am glad I saw this posting. The Zoom was recommended to me and was ready to buy it. Are there comparable products that do not have the problem?
jon

It seems that itisn't a constant problem on all units. But a problem none the less. Especially during long record times.

If you are looking into comparable products with XLR, there are none.
if you are looking into comparable small digital recorders, I would say look into 1. Edirol R09 (which is rock solid, but has no phantom power, and relies on 1/8 mic and line inputs for mic sources. The built in mic is very good,a nd teh controls are top notch, as most of what you will need are on the unit itself and not menu driven liek the H4).

2. M-Audio Microtrack: Uses balanced 1/4 L/R TRS inputs, and has good manual controls. tehre were firmware problems with early models, but they seem to have been cleared up. I have heard that there is a new version which will be available soon.

These are my recommendations as I have used all 3. Still use H4 and R09. The R09 is my go to in most cases.

I also have an Edirol R4, 4 track recorder with built in hard drive, true 48v switchable phantom power, (I bought a modified unit, that had upgraded pre amps (the stock pre's are good, but wanted even better) and larger hard drive (comes with 40GB, I upgraded to 80GB drive). The unit is about a sprofessional and solid as you can get. However, it is much more expemsive than teh other units, as well as being much larger, which makes stealth recording a bit harder than with these small digital units.

Michael J. Long August 21st, 2007 03:41 AM

H2

Thanks to all , I'll let you know when I receive H2

Seth Bloombaum August 21st, 2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon R. Haskell (Post 731586)
jon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 731597)
It seems that itisn't a constant problem on all units. But a problem none the less. Especially during long record times.

If you are looking into comparable products with XLR, there are none.
if you are looking into comparable small digital recorders...

The H4 is quite a handy little device. For some people the inability to hold tight sync over long periods is a fatal flaw, for others it isn't. The file system doesn't even put a date stamp on the recording. I use mine all the time for wild sound, such as casual audio-only interviews, non-sync music recording, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for an hour-long sync take, knowing that my primary NLE (Vegas) offers straightforward tools to correct time-base errors.

As Michael mentioned, the next steps up take you to $1,000 US plus, that being the Tascam HD-P2, Edirol R4, and Edirol R4 Pro. Any of these would fit into a large location audio bag with a mixer, the Tascam is surely a bargain for a TC-capable and genlock-syncable stereo recorder.

Noa Put August 21st, 2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 731978)
The H4 is quite a handy little device. For some people the inability to hold tight sync over long periods is a fatal flaw

Not allways, once you determine how much its out of sync compared to your camera you can have any zoom recording adjusted to the correct value in minutes. Check out this thread:
http://www.mfbb.net/myvideoproblems/...yvideoproblems

I have a zoom h4 recording of 1,5 hour every week now which I need to convert and it's a piece of cake to set it right.