DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Any really free music on the Internet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/101710-any-really-free-music-internet.html)

Milosz Krzyzaniak August 20th, 2007 11:11 AM

Any really free music on the Internet?

Hello.

I'm looking for some resources with free music on the internet. Obviously, royalyee free means that it's not really free. Are there any sites with really free music?

regards

Eric Brown August 20th, 2007 12:04 PM

Moby has made some of his personl music free as long as it's not for commercial purposes.
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but maybe this is a start?
Also, there are so many great music scoring programs out there, you may want to think about using one of those and cutting your own tracks if your semi-musically inclined.
Mac has Garage Band which allows even the musically impaired among us to conjure up something half decent.

http://www.mobygratis.com/film-music.html

Mike Peter Reed August 20th, 2007 12:10 PM

you may find some at archive.org - just be sure to check the Creative Commons license on each piece.

Bill Mecca August 20th, 2007 01:48 PM

You can also check www.soundclick.com some of the artists license their music for very little, not free, but...

Colin Willsher August 20th, 2007 03:59 PM

Royalty-free music is part of my business as a media composer, so I have to be careful what I say but some royalty-free sites do offer a small selection of free files for evaluation. There are also a few amateur/non-commercial offerings I've come across over the years but in general you get what you pay (or don't pay) for.

Then there's community sites like MySpace where some artists may be prepared to let you use their work if the exposure might present them with an opportunity.

Of course, you can always create it yourself too with software such as GarageBand or Acid. But then software costs money and it takes time and some experience and musical knowledge to get what you want - that's precisely why people should expect to pay for music that works.

I get hundreds of searches reaching my website every month from people looking for totally free music for various (even commercial) purposes and it continues to amaze me. Why should music be free? Composers go to as much trouble and care to create it as others do video and film and yet film producers expect to make a living don't they?

Rant over, and perhaps you are only needing it for personal use, in which case check out some video magazines which myself and many other libraries often supply music to with a limited 'personal use' licence.

But if it's an important job which is worth doing properly you should consider paying not that much for proper music to suit your needs - just as I would pay for professional images or footage if I needed them in a project.

Best wishes,

Colin

______

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 20th, 2007 04:02 PM

Guys, this thread is close to being moved to the TCB forum.
Discussing royalty-free (of which we have a couple lists posted here) and discussing the ethical merits of same are very different animals.

Chris Medico August 20th, 2007 04:15 PM

I have had success with MySpace for music. If you put out some feelers and indicate what you want in the artist section of MySpace you'll likely get some response.

We were able to get exactly what we wanted and the band got the airtime they wanted. Everyone was happy with the arrangement and the quality was terrific.

Chris

Milosz Krzyzaniak August 21st, 2007 06:38 AM

Unfortunately I mean using this music for commercial purposes. I know this sound strange, but the emploing company says they don't have any budget for music, so I have to find some free on the internet. My begging was unsuccessful.

Once I came across a site where some amateur composers put their work for free use (or free with obligation to put indication of the author). I'm looking for something like this.

Steve House August 21st, 2007 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milosz Krzyzaniak (Post 731916)
Unfortunately I mean using this music for commercial purposes. I know this sound strange, but the emploing company says they don't have any budget for music, so I have to find some free on the internet. My begging was unsuccessful.

Once I came across a site where some amateur composers put their work for free use (or free with obligation to put indication of the author). I'm looking for something like this.

It's going to be hard to find something completely free but if you can finagle a teensy budget, Smartsound's SonicFire or Sony Cinescore can help generate custom music. Also Sony's Acid Pro can create music from loops if you have any creative talents in that direction.

www.magnatunes.com has a good library of various generes that, while not free, have very reasonable licensing rates. The bottom line is that your client may have to jsut get used to the fact that they'll have to pay something.

Ervin Farkas August 21st, 2007 07:43 AM

Andreas Viklund

Check out http://andreasviklund.com/music/ for some 80's type electronic/disco type music, some with lyrics.

He might be willing to let you use some of his music, but BE SHURE you check with him!

David Tamés August 21st, 2007 12:56 PM

One source of completely free music I've used in some of the videos I've produced and/or edited is Musopen, the music you find on Musopen are public domain recordings by individuals and college/community orchestras throughout the United States, it's all classical or traditional, since contemporary copyrights last for a very long time (we'll avoid any editorials on that issue so as to avoid having this thread moved). Even though it's free, one should still credit the composer, and performers.

Josh Bass September 13th, 2007 05:29 AM

Here's one for you:

stock20.com

This is the same kind of music bed stuff you get on a CD, but all the tracks are $7. If you like a certain song, for instance, you get all versions of it for $7. In other words, $7 buys you a 2:00 cut, a 1:00, 30, etc. If your employer can't affford that, well. . .

Jim Andrada September 13th, 2007 10:46 AM

Probably not the kind of music most people think of these days, but if classical is your thing, check out

http://www.classicalarchives.com/

They have tens of thousands of classical pieces in both MP3 and MIDI. I think a one year subscription is $20 to $30.

Quality is "OK"! Not the greatest, but not terrible.

Vito DeFilippo September 13th, 2007 01:44 PM

freeplaymusic.com

incompetech.com

Josh Bass September 13th, 2007 02:07 PM

Are you sure freeplaymusic is actually free? I know you can download stuff for free, but you're not legally supposed to USE it for anything. . .I think all their tracks are around $90 are so, no?

Vito DeFilippo September 13th, 2007 03:19 PM

Oops, you're right, my mistake.

Try this one for classical music, though:

http://www.musopen.com/