DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   When do I need to get a dead cat? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/101789-when-do-i-need-get-dead-cat.html)

Erik Norgaard August 21st, 2007 02:27 PM

When do I need to get a dead cat?

Hi:

I am looking into order a mic, camera mountable, so I was wandering what else I might get: A windscreen and a dead cat maybe. Is there a thumb rule that can guide me just when do I need a dead cat? Say windspeed > XX mph?

Thanks, Erik

Trond Saetre August 21st, 2007 02:54 PM

I just recently got a dead cat for my mic (Rode Videomic), so my experience with the dead cat is very limited.
From my brief testing I would say you need the dead cat with any wind stronger than a light breeze. (say around 7-10 mph or stronger, maybe even with less wind.)

Ed Quinto August 21st, 2007 02:56 PM

A Rode dead cat will only give you minimal wind diffusion. Just leave it on all the time. If it's really windy, you'll know it.

Trond Saetre August 21st, 2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Quinto (Post 732133)
A Rode dead cat will only give you minimal wind diffusion. Just leave it on all the time.

That is what I intend to do. But even with only the standard windprotection for the Rode Videomic, I have successfully used it in wind up to about 5mph without any (or at least very little) wind noice.

Erik Norgaard August 22nd, 2007 03:51 AM

anything stronger than a light breeze? So, is a standard windscreen any good for anything then?

Secondly, does the dead cat make sound furry - say in studio conditions?

Chris Soucy August 22nd, 2007 04:04 AM

Hi Eric.......

In studio conditions one would hope there would be no wind to worry about, so no need for any covering whatsoever.

The "dead cat" has some appreciable "top cut" when fitted over a "blimp", but would only be used when the wind is really "going for it" and even then not something the average "Joe in the street" would notice, not a worry.

If the weather is fierce, the "Blimp/ Cat" combination can't be beat.

It is, however, a necessary evil if the elements are so inclined.

CS

Steve House August 22nd, 2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Norgaard (Post 732366)
anything stronger than a light breeze? So, is a standard windscreen any good for anything then?

Secondly, does the dead cat make sound furry - say in studio conditions?

The standard windscreen helps prevent exhalations from reaching the mic in close micing scenarios and "wind noise" caused by moving the mic itself through otherwise still air.

Brooks Harrington August 22nd, 2007 09:52 AM

Yes.....rule of thumb..... when mic is on a boompole (moving mic), it needs to have some kind of windscreen, even indoors on a set.
In studio stationary on a mic stand, it's not needed.

Stu Holmes August 22nd, 2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 732374)
In studio conditions one would hope there would be no wind to worry about, so no need for any covering whatsoever.

The "dead cat" has some appreciable "top cut" when fitted over a "blimp", but would only be used when the wind is really "going for it" and even then not something the average "Joe in the street" would notice, not a worry.

If the weather is fierce, the "Blimp/ Cat" combination can't be beat.

It is, however, a necessary evil if the elements are so inclined.

CS

Chris - may i ask which blimp you are using?

thanks in advance

Bill Davis August 22nd, 2007 12:01 PM

Hows this for a wacky answer to an audio question.

You need protection from the sound of wind... when you can HEAR the sound of the wind.

This is a great example of why you need functional and professional quality headphones EVERY TIME YOU SHOOT SOUND. Period.

Nobody would EVER think to shoot video after turning off ALL the monitors and viewfinders so that you couldn't see your framing and the picture you're shooting.

So it baffles me that people would consider shooting sound without LISTENING to the sound they're recording.

So I guess the fundamental answer to this is what I noted above. You need wind protection when you're in a situation where you can hear the wind - and you don't need it in any situation where you can't.

The REAL key is to train yourself (or someone!) to carefully listen EVERY SINGLE TIME you're shooting sound. No excuses. No exceptions.

That's the way to solve this problem before it becomes a problem.

FWIW.

Erik Norgaard August 22nd, 2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 732559)
Hows this for a wacky answer to an audio question.

You need protection from the sound of wind... when you can HEAR the sound of the wind.

The REAL key is to train yourself (or someone!) to carefully listen EVERY SINGLE TIME you're shooting sound. No excuses. No exceptions.

That's the way to solve this problem before it becomes a problem.

Thanks bill, nothing replaces experience. But as you can guess from my first post, I don't have that. I don't know when wind becomes a problem. I just scraped up money enough to get away from the built in mic and need some idea of what else to get.

If I could get an idea of how weak winds can be and still be noticeable then that gives me a guide as to whether or not to buy now or get something else I might find more use of.

Steve House August 22nd, 2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Norgaard (Post 732644)
If I could get an idea of how weak winds can be and still be noticeable then that gives me a guide as to whether or not to buy now or get something else I might find more use of.

The only real answer is to get a good set of closed-back headphones and listen while recording. Even if you could say that a furry is required when the winds exceed, say, 5 knots (just making up the number), that is going to vary depending on whether the wind is blowing along the axis of the mic from front to back, back to front, or side to side.

Ty Ford August 22nd, 2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Norgaard (Post 732644)
Thanks bill, nothing replaces experience. But as you can guess from my first post, I don't have that. I don't know when wind becomes a problem. I just scraped up money enough to get away from the built in mic and need some idea of what else to get.

Hello Erik,

Then make Sony MDR7506 headphones your next purchase. Wear them. When you hear wind, do something to abate it. At some point, a dead cat will give out and you will need more.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Chris Soucy August 22nd, 2007 05:09 PM

Hi Stu...........

Got myself the full catastrophe when I tooled up with my Sennheiser ME64,66,67 mics.

Rycote "Softies" for each for everyday use and full Rycote "Windjammer" blimps, con blocks and mortified moggies for when conditions are, er, less than ideal. As part of the package went for a Rycote CCA for the camera bracket and a shed load of pistol grips and assorted other mounts to boot.

Cost an absolute fortune, and take up one heck of a lot of space, and are, er, interesting to assemble if I need to tool all three up but, boy, are they worth every cent!

(We do get some very inclement weather here in the South Island)

CS

Stu Holmes August 25th, 2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 732732)
(We do get some very inclement weather here in the South Island)

Oh i agree! I was on a boat at Milford Sound in July one year.... early in the morning....

I think i have just about defrosted now...

hard core cold!