DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Azden 200upr cable question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/102924-azden-200upr-cable-question.html)

Ryan Szulczewski September 5th, 2007 03:40 PM

Azden 200upr cable question

I am going to be doing some wedding videography coming up and I am trying to come up with a viable recording solution. The main stuff is going to be recorded off camera with the mics going into an old Sony 4 Track minidisc recorder that I have (I used to think I was going to be a musician).

I have access to an Azden 200upr ( http://www.adorama.com/images/large/VDAZ200UPR.JPG ) but the only cable we have terminates in two XLR outputs. The 4 track only takes 1/4" (its old ok). Do I just get an 1/8 cable that terminates into two 1/8 ends or will the two signals not go to the right place? As I am writing this, this seems to be the solution but I just want to check.

Also, for the fun of it, am I insane to use that 4 track?

Steve House September 5th, 2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Szulczewski (Post 739784)
I am going to be doing some wedding videography coming up and I am trying to come up with a viable recording solution. The main stuff is going to be recorded off camera with the mics going into an old Sony 4 Track minidisc recorder that I have (I used to think I was going to be a musician).

I have access to an Azden 200upr ( http://www.adorama.com/images/large/VDAZ200UPR.JPG ) but the only cable we have terminates in two XLR outputs. The 4 track only takes 1/4" (its old ok). Do I just get an 1/8 cable that terminates into two 1/8 ends or will the two signals not go to the right place? As I am writing this, this seems to be the solution but I just want to check.

Also, for the fun of it, am I insane to use that 4 track?

You say "mics" but don't elaborate on what mics you plan on using for what purpose. Then you refer to the Azden wireless which is a mono output. Then you talk about using a 1/8 to 2x1/8 "Y" cable to connect to a 4-track with 1/4 inputs ( and no, 2 1/8 plugs don't add up to a 1/4 plug LOL). I'm so confused! <grin> Can you get into a bit more detail about what you have in mind, just what you want to connect to what?

Ryan Szulczewski September 5th, 2007 08:06 PM

It made so much sense in my head though... you can't read my mind?

OK, I have three wireless mics. Two that the Azden receives and a Senihiesier wireless (don't remember model). Standard lapel mics for all three. I will put the senhieser on the groom, an Azden on the officiant and the third I plan to put on the podium.

I will also either patch into the mixer at the church or mic a church speaker and have a shotgun on one camera for worst case scenario back up.

The Azden receiver that we use has a cord that terminates into two XLR connectors that represent each "transmitter"(there are two).

I have an old Yamaha (sorry said it was Sony initially) 4 track recorder with 1/4 inputs, no XLR inputs. I want to record all 3 wireless into the 4 track. Since the 4 track doesn't have XLR inputs I need to know what cable to get for the Azden so that I still get the two discrete signals from the two different transmitters and plugs into the 1/4 jack.

Thanks for the help and for reading a totally incomprehensible post.

Steve House September 5th, 2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Szulczewski (Post 739928)
It made so much sense in my head though... you can't read my mind?

OK, I have three wireless mics. Two that the Azden receives and a Senihiesier wireless (don't remember model). Standard lapel mics for all three. I will put the senhieser on the groom, an Azden on the officiant and the third I plan to put on the podium.

I will also either patch into the mixer at the church or mic a church speaker and have a shotgun on one camera for worst case scenario back up.

The Azden receiver that we use has a cord that terminates into two XLR connectors that represent each "transmitter"(there are two).

I have an old Yamaha (sorry said it was Sony initially) 4 track recorder with 1/4 inputs, no XLR inputs. I want to record all 3 wireless into the 4 track. Since the 4 track doesn't have XLR inputs I need to know what cable to get for the Azden so that I still get the two discrete signals from the two different transmitters and plugs into the 1/4 jack.

Thanks for the help and for reading a totally incomprehensible post.

Well, I don't have an Azden but I looked up its documentation on the web and it looks like its dual outputs are mic level on a common unbalanced stereo mini connector. That means channel 1 is on the tip of the connector, channel 2 is on the ring, and they share a common gound on the sleeve. I assume your recorder has 4 separate input jacks, one for each channel, so what you're going to need to connect the Azden is a 1/8 to 1/4 "Y" stereo splitter such as this model CMP-153 cable from Hosa ...

http://hosatech.com/hosa/products/cmp-153_cmp-159.html.

The tip of the 1/8 goes to the tip of one of the 1/4s, the ring of the 1/8 goes to the tip of the other 1/4, and they share a common shield on the sleeve of all three. The Senn would use its own 1/8 to 1/4 mono cable for its connection.

Note you need to be sending the Azden's signal into mic level inputs. And possibly the same thing for the Sennheiser, you didn't say which model you have so you need to check its output levels too. 1/4" jacks usually indicate a line level input so you need to check your recorder documentation to make sure what levels it really needs. If the recorder needs line level but your wireless receivers are putting out mic level, you're going to need preamps or a mixer instead of just adapter cables and your budget just jumped by a couple of orders of magnitude.

Ryan Szulczewski September 6th, 2007 04:35 AM

Thanks for the help! The recorder says Mic/Line input... I am going to test it this weekend to see how everything goes.