DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   audio levels with lapel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/103784-audio-levels-lapel.html)

Rob Brookes September 18th, 2007 02:29 AM

audio levels with lapel

Hi guys. I have recorded audio with a lapel and the presenter has been talking while working with puppies. When his head moves up and down as he talks and works the dog the levels go up and down. Is there a easy way to make the levels closer so its not so near far sounding at times. I edit in edius 4.5 and have adobe audition aswell. I only have a little wind noise at times and very little clipping but otherwise the audio is fair, thanks guys.

Dan Keaton September 18th, 2007 04:37 AM

Is your Lapel mic an omni or cardioid?

Omnidirectional lapel (or lavaliere) microphones are used specifically to avoid the problems you are describing.

What is the brand and model of you microphone?

Once it is recorded, your only option, as far as I know, is to adjust the levels in post. With a good Non-Linear Editor with good audio capabilities, such as Vegas, or a good audio editor, you can make level changes as necessary in your sound track. I assume with Edius 4.5 and/or Adobe Audition, you should be able to adjust the levels as necessary.

However, the above is tedious and you may not be able to produce the quality of sound that you desire. By adjusting the levels, the ambient (background) sound will also increase.

The symptons you are descibing can also be caused by mic placement. It may have been caused by the presenter, when his head tilted down and pointed directly into the mic. One solution is to use a headworn mic, or to mount your lapel somewhere on the side of his head.

Jimmy Tuffrey September 18th, 2007 05:11 AM

This is a common problem in tv, the 'Head turns' if you stick a limiter across it it will help with transient peaks as long as you set it to come in only on the loud parts. This is a tricky thing to set up though and takes practice. This combined with some 'Volume Graphing' for the more extreme instances should help.

It happens with omni mic's through the fact that the presenter is speaking right on to the mic and it's one reason why it pays to point the omni mic downwards when chest mounted.

It's always good to place the mic with regard to the action but not always possible. For instance in interview situations clip it to lapel side to which the other person is sitting to avoid the 'head turns' being off mic.

Rob Brookes September 18th, 2007 05:17 PM

Thanks

yes, I use a sony UWP-C1 system. This is a omni directional mic however i feel that with the presenter talking the way he was moving his head up and down was the problem. i should have positioned it better to avoid this. i will jsut have to go through and tiduy it up manually I think. Thanks for the help guys and I am open to any more ideas. Thanks