DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Used Shure FP33 or new SignVideo ENG-44? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/103809-used-shure-fp33-new-signvideo-eng-44-a.html)

Paula DiSante September 18th, 2007 11:29 AM

Used Shure FP33 or new SignVideo ENG-44?

Just curious--which would you pick? I'm leaning toward the SignVideo because of the 1 year warranty on a new item and the 4th input. But there are some tempting offers for used Shure FP33s on eBay. I know their "new" price is a lot higher than the SignVideo ENG-44, and it has more features. But with a used product with no warranty, there's no telling what you're getting until it's in your hands. Is it worth taking the risk?

(I don't have the $$$ to get into Sound Devices yet! I wish.)

Any recommendations, opinions, thoughts, etc.?

Merci beaucoup!

Guy McLoughlin September 18th, 2007 04:16 PM

I own a SignVideo ENG-44 mixer, and am quite happy with it. The sound is good, and the battery life is quite long when powering 48v mics. It's a bit on the fragile side compared to the nearly bomb-proof Sound Devices mixers, but then it's a lot less money.
( long term I plan on getting a Sound Devices 302, and I'll keep the ENG-44 as a back-up )

Paula DiSante September 18th, 2007 06:17 PM

Thank you very much, Guy. This is helpful information to consider while I'm making up my mind.

Any other opinions out there, especially from Shure owners?

Thanks!

Brooks Harrington September 18th, 2007 09:22 PM

We've been using the FP32 and FP33 for years at a college, and they are starting to die. Some not powering up, one the master control just reversed itself (turning up the master turns the gain down). Replacing with the SD Mixpre. I'd go with the Signvideo, even though I've never used it.... unless you have T-powered mic. FP33 still has T-power.

Paula DiSante September 19th, 2007 08:12 AM

Thanks, Brooks. It's looking like "new" and "1 year warranty" are going to be my guiding words and phrases in whatever I purchase.

Brooks Harrington September 19th, 2007 08:51 AM

Just an added thought. I think you will be happier with the ENG44 metering Much more up to date than the FP33 which still has VU meter.

Steve Oakley September 23rd, 2007 06:40 PM

shure charges a flat rate of $130 to service a FP33, so I wouldn't worry about that. I have a FP33 and I'm either going to have it modded, or upgrade to a 422 because of headroom and noise levels in the mixer. some folks would say its great, but I know its limitations. its easy to clip the input channels is the short answer. it would be interesting the hear the other mixer. best bet is to rent or borrow each of them, prefferably side by side to make a real comparison. I know azden also came out with a 4 channel mixer, but I have no expectations about it.