DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   SD302 full scale tone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/105614-sd302-full-scale-tone.html)

Bernie Beaudry October 14th, 2007 12:33 PM

SD302 full scale tone?

This forum is great! I'm glad I can finally pose some questions here. Thank you Ty for replying to my email. Still looking for opinions. I have a SD302 and I interface with alot of different cameras. DV Cam and Beta Sp are the most common. I was curious if any of you use the full scale tone on the mixer to maximize your levels. I never have time on location to test it out, and I don't have a way to do so at home.
Also is there a way to change multiple parameters and then store all of them?
What meter reference level do you commonly use and for which format? In the setup menu (v3.6) in the manual there are a total of 11 different options. The small laminated card shows only three. 0, +4, and +8. I use the default 0 dbu for digital formats, and I've tried the +4 reference on Beta SP.
How do you have your limiter set?
I've not had many problems but would like to be as accurate yet efficient as possible.
Thanks!
Bernie

Petri Kaipiainen October 14th, 2007 01:12 PM

With some prosumer digital videocams the documentation does not tell what the audio meter levels actually are. Then using the full scale tone from SD302 is immensly helpfull; just send the full scale tone to camera and adjust the levels so that the last led just lights. Then using the -20 dB tone helps to figure out what the other markings on the audio scale actually mean.

I have the limiter set to kick in at +17 dBVU (-3 dBFS), it gives plenty of safety margin but does not interfere with normal strong signals. Works for me.

Ty Ford October 14th, 2007 05:41 PM

My 442 is at +16. Quick clicks can sneak by, I've found. SO I play it a little safe. I'm happy when the peaks occasionally go from orange to the first red LED.

I say this because I have had some camera ops say they see overs when my 442 says it's just +18 or +20. As a result, I always try to check peaks after setting tone at -20 on digital camera inputs, just to make sure I'm not slightly over.

I'm not sure what that's about except that during tone, the camera input knob turns and the camera input level increases. There is some turning that occurs even if the meter doesn't increase, until the next dot on the camera meter appears. Maybe if I stop just as the -20 dot lights.....

Dunno. Have to try that next time. Could be the camera metering is a bit off, or (gulp) the 442.

Regards,

TyFord

Marco Leavitt October 15th, 2007 09:23 AM

I use the full-scale tone quite a lot by setting the tone to 0 (on the camera's meter). Part of this is to double check that the -20 marking is in fact correct on the camera. Sometimes it's not marked at all. Lately I've been using +18 on the limiter. I used to do +16, but found it awfully limiting. As Ty mentioned, peaks can sneak past the limiter, so +16 is safer. I've found that it's usually just a cycle or two that sneaks past though, and the clipping isn't audible.