DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Frequency Range Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/106073-sennheiser-evolution-g2-100-frequency-range-question.html)

Josh Laronge October 20th, 2007 10:09 AM

Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Frequency Range Question

I have a Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 kit in frequency range C. I want to get another one of these systems. Should I get the new one in frequency range C or in a different range? Are there any pros/cons of owning the same or different ranges?

These are used for event work. Thanks for sharing you knowledge.
--Josh

Dan Keaton October 20th, 2007 08:33 PM

Dear Josh,

If you get another set in the same range, then you will have some options that you would not have if you purchased a different range.

If one receiver goes out, then you can use the other receiver. This does not really have any practical advantages, only it would be helpful in determining if the problem was in the transmitter or receiver. The same would apply if a transmitter goes out.

You could use one transmitter, transmitting to two separate receivers.

However, if you choose another range, and you could not find a clear channel in one range, the other range may be usable.

Be sure to go to Sennheiser's website and check out which frequencies and ranges are available in your areas.

In 2009, our normal TV channels (analog) are scheduled to go off the air, as specified by the FCC. Then, the FCC is expected to sell off this frequency spectrum. When this happens, it may be more difficult to find an open frequency in a particular range.

So, I would first check Sennheiser's website. If there is another range, in your area, or the areas that you expect to use the equipment, has many open channels, I would get that range.

If Range C is currently wide open in your areas, then getting another Range C set is probably ok also.

In my opinion, there is no clear answer, as it is hard to predict the future due to the expected changes. Which channels will be open in any given area can not be predicted.

Josh Laronge October 21st, 2007 07:34 AM

Thanks Dan.
You confirmed what I had thought but wasn't sure about. I had checked Sennheiser's site for the frequency ranges (bravo to them for having this chart) and C is fine for where I do most of my work. I'm going to go with getting another C because of the extra options it affords me.

--Jl

Wayne Brissette October 21st, 2007 11:57 AM

To be honest with you with Block C of Sennheiser being 740 - 772 MHz, I'd be a bit concerned. This block falls smack in the middle of the range the FCC wants to reuse/sell. Just recently AT&T announced it was purchasing 700 MHz (how much of 700 MHz I never could quite figure out from the press releases), but none the less. I think Block C of Sennheiser and pretty much anything above block 27 for other wireless companies will be a crap shoot. Obviously things aren't fleshed out and there remains a lot of doubt as to how much this will affect the wireless community, it is none-the-less important to consider when buying gear. It might simply mean you'll have a tougher time finding free open frequencies, or it could mean that you might have to have it changed to block A, or B. I don't want to scare you off from buying block C, but certainly consider these things when buying new wireless.

Wayne

Josh Laronge October 21st, 2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette (Post 762284)
To be honest with you with Block C of Sennheiser being 740 - 772 MHz, I'd be a bit concerned.

I have one set of C now and haven't experienced interference yet. In my area the chart shows stations spread equally across all 3 ranges so I can't really go by the chart to pick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette (Post 762284)
it could mean that you might have to have it changed to block A, or B.

I wasn't aware this was possible. Is this something Sennheier does? Do you have any information about it? It seems like a great idea if the frequency range becomes too crowded in the future.

Wayne Brissette October 21st, 2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Laronge (Post 762317)
I wasn't aware this was possible. Is this something Sennheier does? Do you have any information about it? It seems like a great idea if the frequency range becomes too crowded in the future.

I have no clue what Sennheiser plans to do. Zaxcom and Lectro have said they will change out boards (for a fee) if the proposal causes issues. As I said, right now nobody really knows what is going to happen. Sennheiser G2 units are inexpensive enough that it's not like spending the $2500 or $4000 US that Lectro and Zaxcom units cost. But, still if I was planning on buying new gear I still would consider that things might change in a few years.

Wayne

Michael Nistler October 24th, 2007 03:15 PM

Want to change Sennheiser band frequency? Head for the Classifieds!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette (Post 762346)
I have no clue what Sennheiser plans to do. Zaxcom and Lectro have said they will change out boards (for a fee) if the proposal causes issues. As I said, right now nobody really knows what is going to happen. Sennheiser G2 units are inexpensive enough that it's not like spending the $2500 or $4000 US that Lectro and Zaxcom units cost. But, still if I was planning on buying new gear I still would consider that things might change in a few years.

Wayne

Hi all,

FYI - don't look for Sennheiser to help with "swapo-chango" frequency changes for our existing units. Here's the latest on their official position.

Good luck, Michael

------

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, we no longer can re-frequency Evolution Wireless systems. I suggest going to our website to find a local dealer where you can purchase systems in the frequency you are looking for: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/dealerLocator/

Regards,

Melanie Cipher
Service Administrator
Phone: (860) 434-9190 ext 172
Fax: (860) 434-1759
Sennheiser Electronic Corporation
1 Enterprise Drive
Old Lyme, CT 06371
mcipher@sennheiserusa.com

Josh Laronge October 24th, 2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Nistler (Post 764141)
Hi all,

FYI - don't look for Sennheiser to help with "swapo-chango" frequency changes for our existing units. Here's the latest on their official position.

Good luck, Michael

------

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, we no longer can re-frequency Evolution Wireless systems. I suggest going to our website to find a local dealer where you can purchase systems in the frequency you are looking for: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/dealerLocator/

Regards,

Melanie Cipher
Service Administrator
Phone: (860) 434-9190 ext 172
Fax: (860) 434-1759
Sennheiser Electronic Corporation
1 Enterprise Drive
Old Lyme, CT 06371
mcipher@sennheiserusa.com

Hey, Thanks for this Michael.

With the complete set selling for $500 it's really not a huge deal breaker that they won't re-frequency them. I'd imagine that it might be almost $500 to re-frequency a $4000 set anyway. Also, just because the FCC plans to resell the frequency range doesn't automatically mean these units will be no good (and no one will really know for sure for another 14 months). While there's no dispute (except maybe by Sennheiser) that these are not the best wireless system available, they do a great job for the price.
--JL

Michael Nistler October 24th, 2007 05:45 PM

Righto - so even if the available frequency channels drops from 90% to 50% in a given area, that shouldn't really be much of a problem (famous last words...)

Bob Grant October 24th, 2007 10:50 PM

I think you'll find if you spend a bit more money on the 500 series you get the choice of all the banks in the one unit.

Dan Keaton October 25th, 2007 09:30 AM

Der Bob,

Sorry, but I do not think that is correct, if I understand that you meant that all of the frequency ranges could be purchased in one Sennheiser 500 unit.

Even with the Sennheiser Wireless 500 series, you have to select a range.

In the United States, the Ranges are, in Sennheiser's terms, A, B & C.

Steven Davis October 25th, 2007 09:36 AM

Josh, read my thread http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99304 It may answer a lot of questions you have about this system. I learned the hardway that online frequency checks are not perfect.