DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Just got a Sputnik....now what? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/107270-just-got-sputnik-now-what.html)

Paul Cascio November 5th, 2007 11:23 AM

Just got a Sputnik....now what?

I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but I keep collecting gear, that I just haven't put to much use. However, I did produce one special interest video that's been moderately successful. Anyway...my latest aquisition is the Sputnik and the instructions are rather sparse. I guess that's because only real pros usually buy it. So, if someone is familiar with this mic, which I've heard great things about, I'd appreciate if you could answer a few questions. I plan on doing some VO for commercials and narration.

1. How close/far away should I be when using this type of mic?

2. I bought an 8-inch, pop filter. Is it sonically different than a 6-inch pop filter? How do I position it relative to the mic, and my mouth?

3. Can I use this on an overhead boom, or is it stricly for close work?

Thanks

Gerry Gallegos November 5th, 2007 01:05 PM

Sputnik

1. depends on what youre doing.
2. no sonic difference I usually try to put the pop filter about 4 fingers from the mic and talent four fingers from screen)
3. you can use it anyway you like. just keep in mind the cable distance from the power supply. this mic should be good for all sorts of recording situations, from drum over heads to acoustic guitars , the only limit you have is that it needs to be plugged in to wall outlet. keep in mind that just because a particular microphone is used more often for a certain application does not mean it cannot be used for others. mics are like camera lenses only for audio, they all try to be the best at faithfully capturing what ever is in front of them. some do it well some ok. as far as the boom, if you got one use it, it will keep the cable and mic away from a music stand where the script stays on and lessens the chance of bumping into the mic stand, and sending your new priced possession into the ground. P.S. Dont hang your headphones from the mic stand!!!!!

Paul Cascio November 5th, 2007 07:19 PM

Thanks Gerry - great explanation. I've always hung my headphones on the mic stand, but I promise I won't do it anymore.

Gerry Gallegos November 5th, 2007 10:06 PM

Sputnik

Well the headphone thing is because the headphone will feedback thru the mic and blow them up, on top of possibly bumping the mic stand over.

Tim OBrien November 6th, 2007 09:42 PM

I just used a Solaris (the Sputniks little brother) to capture sound for a pizza-making video for my son's Spanish class project with a classmate.

I put it on a mic stand just out of frame (about 4 feet in front of the guys approximately level with their heads). Set on cardioid pattern and plugged into a small Behringer mixer to provide phantom power and that plugged into my GL-2, it provided excellent sound - far better than the built-in mic.

I'd be afraid from hanging one from a hand-held boom (to keep from dropping it!) but overhead is fine.

I also used it to capture sound independently for a music video/CD set of my father-in-law last year. Hung overhead about 3ft. and pointed down at his face, I captured the audio to my laptop music DAW and then merged the final massaged sound from the CD to the video. Worked brilliantly and the entire family was delighted to have something to remember him by.

Pop filters are to keep the talent from shoving their lips into the grill screen. Anything to keep them at least a foot away from the mic is OK.

Beyond that, as Gerry said, it depends on what you're doing and your imagination....