DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Royalty free Jazz. Anyone recommend? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/107784-royalty-free-jazz-anyone-recommend.html)

Stuart Campbell November 12th, 2007 01:31 PM

Royalty free Jazz. Anyone recommend?

We recently completed a short film to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Now normally the cost for corporate usage is acceptable. However, in this case the one year fee was more than the total cost to client for producing the 9 minute film! AGGHH

So, can anyone recommend any good jazz that we can buy in as a replacement?

We use Cinescore by the way if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Steve House November 12th, 2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell (Post 774298)
We recently completed a short film to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Now normally the cost for corporate usage is acceptable. However, in this case the one year fee was more than the total cost to client for producing the 9 minute film! AGGHH

So, can anyone recommend any good jazz that we can buy in as a replacement?

We use Cinescore by the way if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Magnatunes.com has a number of jazz selections and licensing fees there are quite reasonable.

David Decker November 12th, 2007 05:58 PM

You might also try Killer Tracks - they have a number of libraries you can pull from, and there is some good jazz in there. I remember a client of mine wanted to use a James Brown piece for a short snappy college marketing piece - the licensing fee was pretty shocking for them (and me!) - but we were able to get the same feel from the Killer Tracks collection.

Licensing fees are also pretty reasonable.

Another online service I have had good luck with lately is SoundDogs.com - they have an extensive music selection as well as sound fx - and prices are very good. Easy to pick/pay/ and download too. Not sure what the jazz collection is like- but I would think it would also be good.

Stuart Campbell November 13th, 2007 02:15 AM

Thanks David. I'd forgotten all about Killertracks.

When I was a trainee many years ago at the regional network broadcaster I remember their entire music library has stacks of Killer stuff. Now don't I wish I'd copied that catalogue!

The Jazz stuff is about the best on the market! Brilliant

Slava Barouline November 27th, 2007 07:49 AM

What are the prices on Killer Tracks?
I can't find any
;-(

Do they have end user license on the website?

Thanks

Richard Alvarez November 27th, 2007 07:51 AM

KillerTracks is good. I'm a big fan of ProductionTraxx.com as well.

Stuart Campbell November 28th, 2007 03:52 PM

Killer Tracks

If you are outside of the US and Canada you will have to contact Universal music in your country! They bought out Killer a while back. Come to mention it they pretty much own every decent library brand out there!

I sent an email via the Killer site and got a quick response from Universal Germany with instructions on how to register.

One positive is that you can obtain all the music free of charge, just fill out a sync form to obtain your bill. Pricing is about the norm.

Killer have the best Jazz catalogue out there too!

Slava Barouline November 29th, 2007 06:15 PM

For some reason they asked me to register with APRA/AMCOS for production music use.

I thought Killer Tracks is royalty free.

Chris Barcellos November 29th, 2007 06:58 PM

Also check out www.magnatune.com for a variety of tracks and artists.

Edit: oops. Missed the reference above...