DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   recording 12 audio tracks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/108034-recording-12-audio-tracks.html)

Russell Banks November 15th, 2007 10:30 AM

recording 12 audio tracks

Anyone know how to get 12 audio tracks into you Mac that will be in sync with your video?

I am looking at the Multibridge Pro but it is all Digital Audio. The feeds will be coming straight off a mixing board.

Anna Harmon November 15th, 2007 05:01 PM

I'm a little confused at what you mean. This may be a dumb question but is this in the production stage or post stage?

Steve Oakley November 15th, 2007 10:37 PM

if you are talking about recording, you need some audio interfaces. there are SDI audio embedders which will take line level in. the other choices are FW audio interfaces. a MOTU 896HD will give you 8 mic/line ins, and you can add t heir 8mic pre input unit to feed the optical IN of the 896 for a total of 16 mic ins... if that is what you where thinking. you of course have to setup a proper input (capture) setup in FCP to take 12 (16) channels in. FCP can capture / output up to 24

Anna Harmon November 16th, 2007 02:13 AM

Check this puppy out. May be what you're looking 4.

Gets up to 12 channels. Don't need pre's 'cause you're going out from your mixer.

It's an Echo Audio Fire 12. Not familiar with it but it looks like it'll do the job.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...04&src=3WNTWXX

Martin Pauly November 16th, 2007 09:03 AM

I have a feeling Russell is looking for a capture solution for audio (12 channels) AND video at the same time, so that captured clips contain both multi-channel audio and video. My guess is that's what the Multibridge Pro would do, but only with digital audio (AES, or SDI embedded audio).

So why not just digitize the audio and feed them to the Multibridge Pro using AES?

- Martin

Russell Banks November 16th, 2007 02:25 PM

What i am really trying to do is record a meeting with 12 mics that i would like on seperate channels. I would combine the audio and video in something like a Multibridge Pro. It only has 8 inputs so i think i am going to be limited to 8 mics lines, but i could just mic a single track for 7 mic and then grab the house mix for the rest. i was looking at the Mackie Onyx 800R.

Giroud Francois November 16th, 2007 04:11 PM

using a 12 track alesis firewire audio mixer will allow to record 12 track separately on a computer.
since most of these mixers have some inputs at mic level and others at line level, you will need some preamp (cheap from Nady, like PRA-8) to convert mic level to line level.
so about 300$ for the alesis multimix firewire 12 (or 16) + 100$ the nady PRA-8 + $? for the software.
you will need too 12 mics.....

Giroud Francois November 16th, 2007 04:14 PM

using a 12 track alesis firewire audio mixer will allow to record 12 track separately on a computer.
since most of these mixers have some inputs at mic level and others at line level, you will need some preamp (cheap from Nady, like PRA-8) to convert mic level to line level.
so about 300$ for the alesis multimix firewire 16 + 100$ the nady PRA-8 + $? for the software.
you will need too 12 mics.....

Steve Oakley November 17th, 2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pauly (Post 776527)
I have a feeling Russell is looking for a capture solution for audio (12 channels) AND video at the same time, so that captured clips contain both multi-channel audio and video. My guess is that's what the Multibridge Pro would do, but only with digital audio (AES, or SDI embedded audio).

So why not just digitize the audio and feed them to the Multibridge Pro using AES?

- Martin

you can capture audio from a FW interface while getting video from whatever is attached. you just have to setup a capture preset to use the right inputs. nothing says audio has to come from the same device as video.

Ty Ford November 18th, 2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Banks (Post 775949)
Anyone know how to get 12 audio tracks into you Mac that will be in sync with your video?

I am looking at the Multibridge Pro but it is all Digital Audio. The feeds will be coming straight off a mixing board.

Google BoomRecorder and look at the compatibility list for hardware.

Regards,

Ty Ford