DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/110297-audio-editing.html)

Jon Jaschob December 15th, 2007 01:52 PM

Audio Editing

Hi All,
I have been using Audition for sound/music editing. I find it very limiting and clunky compared to, lets say, doing FX in After Effects. In fact I was wishing to myself that I could find a audio editing application that worked just like After Effects.

So my question is, do any of the other sound editors have key frames? I'm not talking about little rubber bands for volume and panning, more like key frames for all parameters (fx too). Also media management, folders etc.

In After Effects we have compositions that can be nested inside other compositions, this would be nice too, for sound tracks.

Any suggestions on better editors?
Thanks for your time,
Jon

Jarrod Whaley December 15th, 2007 06:31 PM

You might want to have a look at Vegas. You can nest projects within one another, and you can keyframe your audio via track-based or bus-based automation. There's also the not insubstantial benefit of having this level of audio control and an extremely capable video editor in the same software package, on the same timeline.

It's not going to be exactly like After Effects--in fact, the Vegas GUI seems very foreign at the first glance of your average newcomer--but it will give you everything you're asking for and more.

Gerry Gallegos December 15th, 2007 08:05 PM

audio workstation

If you can afford it then Pro-Tools is the best . but seriously. if youre on a PC then I believe Vegas is your best bet. It was originally designed to be a multi-track (pro-tools like ) workstation. I believe it is one of the "hands down" best at dealing with audio with out going to the mega expensive stand alone workstation solutions out there. The work flow is that of an audio workstation with Video (very powerful at this).

Jon Jaschob December 15th, 2007 11:43 PM

Thank you both for your time and opinions. I'll take a look at these.
Thanks again,
Jon

Jack Walker December 16th, 2007 12:56 AM

What version of Audition are you using? Just curious. I have used Audition since Cool Edit and it has been very good. Version 3 has some new features that may be helpful.

If you want to Keyframe the video to audio tracks perhaps Vegas is the best since it kinda has a multi track audio editor built in (as pointed out above) instead of just giving some basic tools for dealing with basic audio.

However, Vegas doesn't support VSTi's, have a sequencer, or support midi. Therefore if you are using keyboards or are composing a program like Cubase or Nuendo might be appropriate.

Jarrod Whaley December 16th, 2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 793343)
Vegas doesn't support VSTi's, have a sequencer, or support midi. Therefore if you are using keyboards or are composing a program like Cubase or Nuendo might be appropriate.

Not quite true. Vegas does in fact support both midi and VST, and I'm not sure but I'd bet the bank that there are any number of available sequencer plug-ins.

Jon Jaschob December 16th, 2007 12:09 PM

I have been using Audition for a while for little projects. But I first used it as the last version of cool edit, I'm using version 2 now regularly for big projects.
What is frustrating is you have the option for tons of cool plugins and no RT control over them. If you want to roll in/out reverb, or use eq on one part of a track, you need separate tracks. (wishing for keyframes)

I am very happy with my video workflow using PPro 2/Cineform and After Effects. I do all my sound tracks, Foley, looping, VO and such with Audition.

That is why I was wishing for After Effects type control over my audio tracks.
Pro Tools looks cool. but it seems you need hardware to run it. All my recording gear is outside my computer so I don't need the hardware(I/O)/control surfaces.

@ Jack, What's better with Audition Ver. 3.0?

Thanks,
Jon

PS Audition has limited VST support, seems most stuff is aimed at ProTools...

Jack Walker December 16th, 2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley (Post 793347)
Not quite true. Vegas does in fact support both midi and VST, and I'm not sure but I'd bet the bank that there are any number of available sequencer plug-ins.

Sorry for the error. I got my information at DV Expo West from the Sony employee demonstrating Vegas. He told me there were no Midi track, hence no VST instruments. (I am imagine that it does support both VST and DirectX plugins.)

I specifically asked because I am looking for a new editor that supports the HV20, HD110 and XH-A1, which I believe Vegas does, and since it was formerly an Audio application, I was curious about its audio capabilities.

Here are the features for Vegas 8:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...457&PageID=107