DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Hyper cardiod sibilance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/110618-hyper-cardiod-sibilance.html)

Bernie Beaudry December 19th, 2007 06:16 PM

Hyper cardiod sibilance?

Hi All,
I have a Peluso CMEC6 which is considered by some to sound much like the Schoeps hyper. I've noticed that it seems to accentuate sibilance on primarily female voices. I had a similiar issue with a Sennheiser MKH50 and was curious if this a hyper cardiod issue in general, or something noticed by others with these particular mics. I had never heard the MKH50 before and liked it except for the sibilance. I am familiar with the Schoeps hyper and don't remember having an issue with sibilance on it. I had a foam windscreen on the Peluso, and none on the Sennheiser, and it was a just above the frame sit down interview. The main subject had a softer, sibilant voice and the Peluso didn't sound so good so I went with my Schoeps CMIT5U instead after trying the Sennheiser on her and not being happy with that sound either. I bought the Peluso as an inexpensive alternative to the Schoeps hyper to go with the CMIT5U and now I'm not so sure about my choice. I do like the sound of the cardiod cap better on the Peluso, but didn't have it with me to try. Would that be a good choice for a sit down interview instead of the hyper given the close range? Two obvious remedies would be to point the mic slightly off axis or put a heavier windscreen/blimp on them and see if that would sound better.
Different subject:
I know many regard the Sanken lavs to be the preferred mic for hidden micing and I'm curious to hear from those that own them to tell me why. I have Countryman B6s and for the most part have been pretty happy with them, but we all know there is no perfect lav for all wardrobes and situations. I'm looking to add to the collection so I have some alternative choices when the B6 isn't the way to go. Besides the B6s I'm most familar with the Sonotrims, Trams, and DPAs. I've used the all of these under clothes except for the DPAs. I'm also needing a good lav to use in sit down exposed mic situations as an alternative to the B6s. Looking to buy something before the end of the year so I welcome all thoughts.
Regards,
Bernie

Ty Ford December 19th, 2007 07:50 PM

Simple answer....no, not with a good mic like the Schoeps cmc641 here and have and I have had the cmec6 to compare it to a cmc641.

Mr. Peluso is a nice guy. His mics are correctly priced against a cmc641. Whoever told you a Peluso cmec6 and a Schoeps cmc641 sound the same should have their tongue frozen to a steel flagpole at below zero temperatures.

Some voices are more sibilant than others. I've encountered a few thhat had me scratching my head. The CMC641 does not add anything at sibilant frequencies. Those folks were just overly sibilant.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Bernie Beaudry December 20th, 2007 11:34 AM

Peluso compared to Schoeps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 795595)
Simple answer....no, not with a good mic like the Schoeps cmc641 here and have and I have had the cmec6 to compare it to a cmc641.

Mr. Peluso is a nice guy. His mics are correctly priced against a cmc641. Whoever told you a Peluso cmec6 and a Schoeps cmc641 sound the same should have their tongue frozen to a steel flagpole at below zero temperatures.

Some voices are more sibilant than others. I've encountered a few thhat had me scratching my head. The CMC641 does not add anything at sibilant frequencies. Those folks were just overly sibilant.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Thanks Ty,
I said sound similiar, not the same, just to clarify. Are you saying you did a direct comparison between the two mics in a review situation? The Peluso is decent on most things for the price, but I do agree its not a Schoeps. On some voices its fine, with others, not so good. I've used it for music with the cardiod cap, and it works very well in those situations. I'm talking acoustic instruments here. If you wrote a formal review I would love to read it. Would Oleg's chinese mics be a better value given the lower price and lack of brand name?
Regards,
Bernie

Ty Ford December 21st, 2007 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie Beaudry (Post 795875)
Thanks Ty,
I said sound similiar, not the same, just to clarify. Are you saying you did a direct comparison between the two mics in a review situation? The Peluso is decent on most things for the price, but I do agree its not a Schoeps. On some voices its fine, with others, not so good. I've used it for music with the cardiod cap, and it works very well in those situations. I'm talking acoustic instruments here. If you wrote a formal review I would love to read it. Would Oleg's chinese mics be a better value given the lower price and lack of brand name?
Regards,
Bernie

Hello Bernie,

Mr. Peluso sent a pair up. Nice guy. I listened. The magazines were not in favor of doing yet another "value priced" mic review. I sent them back. I don't know how formal you want to get, but I compared the two and there was really no comparison in performance or price.

Don't know about Oleg. As for his mics, if you're scraping the bottom, you'll always find something there. I'm not so much interested in the cheapest mic as I am the best sounding one. If you'll be using the mic for YEARS and putting your reputation out there, you have to be careful. If you're messing around in the basement, it doesn't matter.

Regards,

Ty Ford