DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Why Such Little Love for the MKH-50? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/110708-why-such-little-love-mkh-50-a.html)

Peter Moretti December 21st, 2007 03:52 AM

Why Such Little Love for the MKH-50?

I'm thinking of adding a hyper cardioid (for reflective room shooting) to my sound arsenal. I currently own an MKH-60.

The hyper cardioid of choice seems to be the Schoeps CMC6-41. But the sound shop I was in today really chatted up the MKH-50. They said it sounds very similar to the Schoeps but they found it to be sturdier.

I read a lot about 416's, 66's, 70's, but comparatively little about the 50. (Yes I did a search.)

So what's your opinion? Is the MKH-50 a good choice OVER the Schoeps CMC6-41?

Thanks!

Mike Peter Reed December 21st, 2007 11:36 AM

Horses for courses. Some swear by the Sennheiser, others the Schoeps. Both are used in household name films, commercials, etc. I don't have much experience of either but reckon Sennheiser has the edge on robustness in nasty environments, but the Schoeps sounds marginally better.

Marco Leavitt December 23rd, 2007 08:34 PM

I believe the MKH50 has less noise than the CMC6 MK41.

Peter Moretti December 23rd, 2007 09:29 PM

Right, which means, FWIU, you can use more off-axis and low volume recorded audio b/c there is less mic noise for it to compete against.

And couldn't any "warming" that the CMC6-41 provides be added in post?

Ty, WT_RU when we need you most??! LOL.

Dan Brockett December 23rd, 2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 796245)
I'm thinking of adding a hyper cardioid (for reflective room shooting) to my sound arsenal. I currently own an MKH-60.

The hyper cardioid of choice seems to be the Schoeps CMC6-41. But the sound shop I was in today really chatted up the MKH-50. They said it sounds very similar to the Schoeps but they found it to be sturdier.

I read a lot about 416's, 66's, 70's, but comparatively little about the 50. (Yes I did a search.)

So what's your opinion? Is the MKH-50 a good choice OVER the Schoeps CMC6-41?

Thanks!

Hi Peter:

Actually both mics are supercardioids, not hypers.

It's too bad we didn't hook up a few months ago, I live about 20 minutes from you and I had both the Schoeps CMC641 and the Sennheiser MKH-50 here along with a dozen other mics that I was reviewing for an article I am writing. Had to send them back but I used both for five tests and used both on several real shoots. I do have sound samples of both recorded in identical setups with the same talent, male and female as well as handling noise tests, interiors and exteriors.

My quick impressions...

Whomever said that the mics sound close has not used them enough, they do not sound at all alike to me. They both sound great but they have very different characteristics.

Schoeps CMC641 - Very neutral sound, uncolored, typical Schoeps sound. Super low self-noise. What you hear is what your ears hear. Keep in mind that lousy sounding sources will record as lousy, good sounding sources will record well. A lot of neophytes and non-pro sound mixers kind of don't like this type of mic or audio monitors that are that way either. They want a mic to make a source sound "good". It's a subtle issue but an important one. Good does not equal uncolored to a lot of people's ear.

Sennhesier MKH-50 - Much more like your MKH-60. Colored sound with a bias toward mids and bass. Very dynamic sounding, I likened it to an action movie, it's a very much more "exciting" sounding mic than the Schoeps IMHO. Personally, I would love to have both, they are both great tools and each are better for certain situations. You will not go wrong with either.

I just turned in the huge article (40 pages) to my editor along with 121 photos, 59 sound samples. It should be up on his website around January 7th.

If you want to talk on the phone, email me for my number and I will be glad to chat with you in greater detail, if you like. blfilms@mac.com

I am out of town for the holiday but I am available to talk on Friday, the 28th when I get back in town.

All the best,

Dan

Steve House December 24th, 2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 797472)
I just turned in the huge article (40 pages) to my editor along with 121 photos, 59 sound samples. It should be up on his website around January 7th.

...Dan

Please share the URL of that site!

Dan Brockett December 25th, 2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 797568)
Please share the URL of that site!

Hi Steve:

It will be well publicized. We typically get write ups and get our press releases on a few of the better known Mac sites as well as most of the video related sites.

Have a good Christmas Day!

Dan

Bill Davis December 28th, 2007 12:32 PM

Hey Dan,

First, congratulations. Sounds like a LOT of work!

Like everyone else, I'm really interested in reading your conclusions.

(nothing like having an in-depth review from someone who really knows their subject - it saves the rest of us a HUGE amount of time and effort - so thanks!)

Second, did I read you correctly that you've found someone who will publish a 40 page article? I'm terminally jealous! All those years writing my column and the MOST I ever got was 1500 words!

Be sure to let us all know where we can find it when it's released.

Take care and Happy New Year!

Dan Brockett December 28th, 2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 799302)
Hey Dan,

First, congratulations. Sounds like a LOT of work!

Like everyone else, I'm really interested in reading your conclusions.

(nothing like having an in-depth review from someone who really knows their subject - it saves the rest of us a HUGE amount of time and effort - so thanks!)

Second, did I read you correctly that you've found someone who will publish a 40 page article? I'm terminally jealous! All those years writing my column and the MOST I ever got was 1500 words!

Be sure to let us all know where we can find it when it's released.

Take care and Happy New Year!

Hi Bill:

How are you? It's been a while, hasn't it? Yes, I like doing all of the grunt work so you lazy SOBs can just sit back and soak up my manual labor ;-)

The article will be on Ken Stone's site and I plan on following up with a similar article on lavalieres. Hmm...then perhaps mixers, that seems to be another one that gets a lot of play. I have to do wireless mic systems as well, but those two or three articles will probably take me through 2008, I take forever to do my articles because it takes a long time to track down manufacturers and reps to supply samples and it takes me a long time to do the tests, shoot the photos, put it all together, do the drafts and revisions, etc.

In the meantime, gotta make a living too!

Talk soon,

Dan