DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with Lectro 100 Series? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/111356-anyone-have-experience-lectro-100-series.html)

Sammy Huen January 1st, 2008 12:53 PM

Anyone have experience with Lectro 100 Series?

At more than twice the price of the Senn G2 100 series wireless, how do they compare? Are they noticeably better in signal strength and sound quality? I may be in the market for a couple new sets of wireless systems. The Lectro 400 series is a bit out of my price range right now. I'm considering the Lectro 100 series and need some advice on them. Thanks.

Sammy Huen January 5th, 2008 08:52 PM

Wow no one used these before? I tried looking for some reviews and info on these and haven't had much luck.

Jack Walker January 6th, 2008 12:41 AM

Here are a couple of reviews at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo

The Lectrosonics 100 series is a step up from the Sennheiser 100 series, and a bit more than double the price.

There are lots of these in use, so I'm sure someone will comment on their use.

Dan Keaton January 6th, 2008 09:18 AM

Dear Sammy,

I have waited to reply to your question, hoping someone with experience with both the Sennheiser 100 series and the Lectrosonics 100 series would answer your question.

I have experience with the Sennheiser 100, both generation 1 and generation 2 (G2).

The following information is from my very knowledgeable audio dealer.

He reports that the sound quality of the Sennheiser 100 G2 matches the sound quality of the Lectrosonic 100's.

However, this is not all of the story.

One of the benefits of the Sennheiser 100's is that they have a "Wide RF Front End", which gives them their frequency agility (their ability to have many tunable channels available). The Lectrosonics have a narrower "RF Front End" which gives you fewer tunable channels.

However, the Sennheiser 100's "Wide RF Front End" is actually a tradeoff and can cause problems in a few situations.

If a radio receiver has a "Wide RF Front End", then its first stage of radio frequency amplification can be overloaded by any high powered signal in the range of frequencies that the radio receives. Once overloaded by one or more of these signals, you may not be able to use any channel.

As an example, say you have a Sennheiser G2 (A) which uses 518 Mhz to 554 Mhz and you are trying to use a channel at 521 MHz. If their is any high power signal anywhere in the 518 to 554 Mhz frequency range it may cause you problems.

(Please note that this is generally not a problem, but it can happen, especially in some areas.)

The Lectrosonics have a more limited range of tunable frequencies, (a narrow band RF front end). Since the range of frequencies that the unit receives is narrower, there is a better chance that it will not have problems caused by high power signals.

To put this in other words, if you only see through a narrow slit, you will see less of the world, and not be distracted by it.

So, Lectrosonics 100's strengh lies in its narrow RF band.

But this can also cause problems. You could easily be in a location in which this band is "in-use" and you will not be able to find an open frequency as their is a more limited number of frequencies available.

Lectrosonics are considered by some to be more professional as they are more likely to work in areas in which there is frequency congestion, and less likely to have interference (in some cases).

Some producers will specify Lectrosonics and may even specify Lectrosonics 200 as a minimum.

But remember, if you do not have interference, the audio quality of the Lectrosonic 100's and the Sennheiser 100 G2's are similar.

In my area, Georgia and South Carolina, I have always been able to find open frequencies in the 518 to 554 MHz band (Sennheiser "A" Band).

Personally, I would not purchase anything in the 700 MHz band.

I hope others will share their experience and knowledge.

Sammy Huen January 6th, 2008 02:53 PM

I just purchased a used Lectro 100 set on ebay. I will be using it side by side with some Sennheiser G2's and will be reporting back about the differences after my next gig.

Jack Walker January 6th, 2008 03:06 PM

How much was it used?

Sammy Huen January 7th, 2008 01:58 AM

There's one going on for $750 right now (same price as the one I bidded for)

Paul Schneider January 22nd, 2008 05:20 PM

I have both the Lectro 100 and the Sennheiser 100 kits and love both. I find them to be very comparable sound wise. I bought the Sennheiser kit only after a nice baggage handler helped himself to my Lectro kit. I have been a Lectro diehard for many years and still love their stuff. I would have no trouble in recommending a Lectro 100 set. I have dropped both my receiver and transmitter many times with no consequences. The Sennheiser kit does seem a little more fragile with the little door over the controls. I actually have an extra Lectro plug on transmitter that I had in the classifieds I believe it is block 27. Let me know if you are interested - I will make you a great deal.