DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Schoeps CMC641 - Price changes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/112511-schoeps-cmc641-price-changes.html)

Martin Pauly January 16th, 2008 12:29 PM

Schoeps CMC641 - Price changes?

A widely respected audio dealer (not sure if I can name them here, since they are not a forum sponsor) announced on their website that the price for this microphone will go up at the end of the month - an increase of more than 20%. I have been considering buying one of these great mics for a while, and this could make me accelerate my plans; however, I wonder if anyone can confirm the upcoming price increase.

Thanks,
Martin

Jeffery Magat January 16th, 2008 12:45 PM

Yes, I believe it was mentioned sometime last year that this was going to happen.

If it wasn't true, then the 'respected' dealer wouldn't be that respected right? ;)

Dale Stoltzfus January 16th, 2008 12:55 PM

Is the price change supposed to be universal or just for that dealer? I want to get one of these sooner or later as well, but I would be buying from B&H.

Wayne Brissette January 16th, 2008 01:05 PM

All Schoeps are going up. That unfortunately is the price or lack thereof of the Dollar vs. Euro. Most European gear has seen this increase in the US.

Wayne

Dale Stoltzfus January 16th, 2008 01:09 PM

Oh my. Well, I can't afford to get it before the end of the month, so I suppose I'll just have to live with the increased price.

Dan Brockett January 16th, 2008 01:59 PM

It actually surprises me that more European crafted gear has not had a price increase recently. The dollar is in the toilet, the Euro has been holding and even the Pound has been going down.

A 20% price increase is pretty severe on a mic that is that expensive and is rarely discounted.

Dan

Martin Pauly January 16th, 2008 02:44 PM

Oh yes, the US Dollar, what a sad story... I was going to get one later this year, so I'll take it for the old price while I can.

Thanks everybody!

- Martin

Matt Buys January 16th, 2008 04:56 PM

Thanks for the warning, I've been eyeing a Schoeps to replace my ME66 for the last year. Hopefully this isn't a clever sales tactic because I think I'm going to get one.

Steve House January 16th, 2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Buys (Post 809546)
Thanks for the warning, I've been eyeing a Schoeps to replace my ME66 for the last year. Hopefully this isn't a clever sales tactic because I think I'm going to get one.

I doubt it's just a sales tactic. If we were talking consumer products then maybe but how many consumers have even heard of Schoeps, much less buy 'em. The US dollar has tanked in recent months and what you're seeing here with these price adjustments is just the tip of the iceberg. Five years ago our Canadian dollar was worth 65 cents US and now it's at par. Some of that is due to the strong Canadian economy and our energy exports (did you know Canada was the largest provider in the world of oil to the USA?) but most of it is due to the US dollar falling into the dumpster against the Euro. If you do the math, the dollar is worth almost down to half of what it was 5 years ago. No offense intended but most of you guys south of '44 don't have a clue just how much trouble you're really in, I'm sorry to say (as someone born in the USA). Not your fault - it's largly due to the very controlled press in the USA these days. Essentially you hear only what Rupert Murdock, Blackwater, and Halliburton wants you to hear. The news is full of Brittany's latest drunken escapades and who killed Anna Nichole Smith, the really important news, so you never have to worry about the crashing ecomony and wars overseas. I'll have another glass of Soma please - thanks barkeep.

Off-topic political rant mode off - I'll be good now

Dan Brockett January 16th, 2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

I have a message in to someone at Schoeps' USA distributor to see if this is true or not. Will report back as soon as I hear something.

Dan

Wayne Brissette January 17th, 2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 809579)
I have a message in to someone at Schoeps' USA distributor to see if this is true or not. Will report back as soon as I hear something.

The word I got from one of Schoeps' dealers was that the price increase would happen in Feb, but he had no exact details on percentage.

Wayne

Dan Brockett January 17th, 2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette (Post 809876)
The word I got from one of Schoeps' dealers was that the price increase would happen in Feb, but he had no exact details on percentage.

Wayne

Okay guys, here it is straight from the horse's mouth...

This is straight from the U.S. distributor of Schoeps Microphones.

"there is a price increase that takes effect on 2/1/2008. The increase is anywhere from 5-25% depending on the item. It is not a blanket increase.
The CMIT 5U goes from $1895.00 to $1999.00 which is less than 6%. The Colette series items are roughly 20% up."

If you are going to buy an AKG, Schoeps, Neumann, Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic microphone, (basically anything German or European made) right NOW is the time to do it. Bascially, existing stock will be sold for existing prices. Once retailers have to order from their distributors or manufacturers, the price increases will result in all of the retailers having to significantly raise their prices.

Not sure about the Japanese products, how has the Yen been doing against the dollar?

Don't say I didn't warn ya!

Dan

Alexandru Petrescu January 17th, 2008 05:25 PM

Isn't eur-usd already compensated by custom taxes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Brissette (Post 809380)
All Schoeps are going up. That unfortunately is the price or lack thereof of the Dollar vs. Euro. Most European gear has seen this increase in the US.

Wayne

If it's for compensating the EUR-USD gap I hope dealers apply these measures carefully because local EU taxes applied by customs _already_ make the total price compensate by and large for the EUR-USD difference. Example taxes include but are not limited to: VAT, "custom rights 1", "custom rights 2", "filing expenses".

For a 108usd battery pack I've paid 40eur to customs. For a 129usd bunch of cables I've paid 31eur to customs. For a 199usd phantom power I've paid 40eur to customs.

I imagine for a 1000usd schoeps capsule I'm paying now like 300eur taxes making approx same price to a capsule shipped from Germany. And if the US dealers add new price increases to that it's going to be less advatageous to buy in US and deliver to EU.

Alex

John Stakes January 17th, 2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

i was supposed to be getting a mic...NEXT MONTH! Matt, are you getting rid of your ME66? I can't really afford a Schoeps as I allready used my budget for this month : ).

...seriously though, let me know.

Matt Buys January 17th, 2008 10:00 PM

John, I just sent you an email. I think I'll hold on to the ME66 because the way the dollar is going next year I'll be able to sell it for two grand. No, seriously, I do alot of questionable outdoor stuff that places gear in jeopardy and I will need to have a B mic. But I bet there's someone out there looking to sell.