DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   GL2 and sennheiser wireless mic--help? guru's? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/11288-gl2-sennheiser-wireless-mic-help-gurus.html)

Gerald Goulder June 25th, 2003 08:22 PM

GL2 and sennheiser wireless mic--help? guru's?

Need a guru or someone who plays one on pc, please. I can't get my sennheiser evolution series wireless mic to sunch with my GL2. Both the recvr and transmitr are on same frequencies. Is there something else I need to adjust? I have the receiver plugged into the GL2 mic plug. But no sound on tape when I play it back.

Rob Wilson June 25th, 2003 09:47 PM

Gerald,

When you're recording, do you see any indications of sound on the VU meters? Is there a headphone jack on your receiver? If so, do you have any audio from them?

Jon McLean June 26th, 2003 05:35 AM

Hi Gerald,

If you are using the 'camera' or pocket receiver, the green 'RF' led should be lit on the receiver when the transmitter is turned on. Next try setting the sensitivity on the transmitter to '0 dB' using the 'SET' button. If you are using a lapel mic such as the ME-2 or ME-4 and you whistle next to the mic the 'AF PEAK' light on the transmitter should light up indicating audio being present at the transmitter.

On the Receiver, above the channel/frequency display is a bargraph '------' that should move up in down with the audio - is this moving in time with the whistle/sound? If so you should have audio at the 'AF OUT' socket.

Now set the volume knob to halfway on the receiver (approx) and connect the receiver via the phono plug into the camera mic socket, switch to camera mode and monitor as per Robs suggestion on headphones connected to the GL2 headphone socket. Note that the sound may be on one channel only as the sennheiser is mono (depends on how the phono cable is wired).

If this does not work then try plugging in a mic directly to the GL2 mic plug to ensure this is not faulty. Also try the wireless receiver plugged into a stereo or PC/laptop mic socket and see if any sound is present.

Chris Korrow June 26th, 2003 08:17 AM

Turn on the volume? I had the same problem when I first got mine, didn't realize that the volume was turned all the way down.
Chris

Nathan Gifford June 26th, 2003 11:19 AM

Also make sure which audio inputs you are using. If you are running your audio into the sub channels and in 16 bit (2-track) instead of 12 bit (4-track) you won't hear a thing.

Ron Little June 27th, 2003 08:31 AM

Make sure the mute switch is not on.

Nathan Gifford June 27th, 2003 11:39 AM

Yes, that brings up the point of proper troubleshooting. Make sure all the individual pieces are working first before pulling your hair out. Also do the most difficult thing first---read the manual. ;-)

Gerald Goulder June 29th, 2003 05:59 PM

GL2-sennheiser wireless

Thanks all...very kind of you.
Just wondering if anyone will defend me if I shoot the person who designed this particular system. There is no way to tell if the wireless transmitter loses its battery power--no signal indicator. There is no way to tell if the receiver's battery dies--the receiving sound indicator continues to indicate sound being receiver. Ther is no way to "listen in" to the audio being put in through the wireless mic. The wireless mic completely overrides the built in camera mic and its either or; if you pull the plug on the remote in order to get ambient sound, then the remote mic has no way to know it has been cut off.
ARRRRGHH!

Nathan Gifford June 30th, 2003 11:41 AM

Well that's what the XL-1 is all about. You could use a mic adapter which will allow you to monitor with headphones. You could use either the MA300 or a BeachTek.

Gerald Goulder June 30th, 2003 11:49 AM

GL2/XL1

wish I had beter understood when I bought the GL2---the XL1 isn't that much of a step up w/o specialty lenes. Will these mic adapters allow me to monitor the "narration" in real time (also thereby letting me know if there is any reception/operation problems)?
Where can I find info out about them, please? Are used ones a big gamble in terms of functioning?
Again, thanks for you time and efforts.

Gerald Goulder July 1st, 2003 10:55 AM

wireless

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Wilson : Gerald,

When you're recording, do you see any indications of sound on the VU meters? Is there a headphone jack on your receiver? If so, do you have any audio from them? -->>>

should I plug the receiving unit into ear or mic??
I am using mic.

Thanks.
gerald

Gerald Goulder July 1st, 2003 10:56 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan Gifford : Well that's what the XL-1 is all about. You could use a mic adapter which will allow you to monitor with headphones. You could use either the MA300 or a BeachTek. -->>>

How much do these other wirteless systems cost?
Thanks.
gerald

Rob Wilson July 2nd, 2003 04:41 PM

Your receivers output should be plugged into the red mic input on the side of the GL2. If the camera is receiving sound, you should see it indicated by the VU meters on the side or in the VF/LCD.

Nathan Gifford July 3rd, 2003 11:45 AM

The mic adapters sell for under $300. I haven't had time to read or test a GL2, but you should be able to monitor the audio with headphones plugged into the ear adapter. I haven't check the manual on that last part, but I would be surprised if the GL-2 did not work that way.

You should be plugged into the mic input and you will need to change where 'audio dub' is set.

Hope this helps...