DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Inside/Outside boom mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/114139-inside-outside-boom-mic.html)

Lloyd Claycomb February 6th, 2008 04:04 PM

Inside/Outside boom mic
 
Is there a certain mic that would work well both inside and outside on a boom? 80% of our recordings are inside, the balance outside.

The shoots inside are:

#1 "Fireside chats". Family story time inside a living room setting, stories being told to 2 kids.
#2 Greenscreen (one person head-to-toe) for various projects.

The outside shoots are for man on the street interviews between interviewer and interviewee only.

Is there something that would fit both purposes for a boom?

For both inside and outside shots, the main speaker (interviewer and story-teller) would be on a G2 wireless lav, but the the boom mic I see as picking up the other speakers (interviewee, and 2 kids talking about the stories).

Any suggestions? Does this mic exist, or am I forced to get one that works only inside and another for outside street locations?

John DeLuca February 6th, 2008 05:30 PM

Lloyd-

Take a look at this thread-

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=113748

Jack Walker February 6th, 2008 05:53 PM

Here is Dan Brockett's recent review of several mics inside and outside:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._brockett.html

If you want to go low budget you might consider the Audio-Technica AT875R that is covered in the review.

The mid and expensive mics are also covered in the review.

Lloyd Claycomb February 6th, 2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 821579)
Here is Dan Brockett's recent review of several mics inside and outside:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._brockett.html

If you want to go low budget you might consider the Audio-Technica AT875R that is covered in the review.

The mid and expensive mics are also covered in the review.

Thank you. That was a very informative article. What I'm seeing from googling around and from other threads, is there isn't really a good indoor/outdoor mic that performs perfectly both inside or out. Is this a fair statement?

Do you either get excellent indoors / good outdoors; or good indoors / excelent outdoors?

Is there such a thing as excellent indoors / excellent outdoors?

Steve House February 6th, 2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Claycomb (Post 821586)
Thank you. That was a very informative article. What I'm seeing from googling around and from other threads, is there isn't really a good indoor/outdoor mic that performs perfectly both inside or out. Is this a fair statement?

Do you either get excellent indoors / good outdoors; or good indoors / excelent outdoors?

Is there such a thing as excellent indoors / excellent outdoors?

It is a fair statement. Each environment has its own challenges and there is no one size fits all mic. But the hyper comes close ... with good wind protection it can give excellent results both indoors and out, with the shotgun being relegated to use in non-reflective environments where you want or need more working distance than you can get with the hyper. For closeup dialog outdoors where you can get the mic within 2 feet or so of the talent, a hyper would be as good there as it would indoors. But if you need to back off for a wide shot, say a tracking full shot of a couple talking while walking hand-in-hand along a pier, a hyper at its normal working distance might intrude into the frame and you'd be forced to a shotgun (or lavs).

Lloyd Claycomb February 6th, 2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 821607)
It is a fair statement. Each environment has its own challenges and there is no one size fits all mic. But the hyper comes close ... with good wind protection it can give excellent results both indoors and out, with the shotgun being relegated to use in non-reflective environments where you want or need more working distance than you can get with the hyper. For closeup dialog outdoors where you can get the mic within 2 feet or so of the talent, a hyper would be as good there as it would indoors. But if you need to back off for a wide shot, say a tracking full shot of a couple talking while walking hand-in-hand along a pier, a hyper at its normal working distance might intrude into the frame and you'd be forced to a shotgun (or lavs).

Thanks a lot! Ballpark, what is the MAX distance a hyper can be from the subject, and what's the max for a shotgun?

Ty Ford February 6th, 2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Claycomb (Post 821611)
Thanks a lot! Ballpark, what is the MAX distance a hyper can be from the subject, and what's the max for a shotgun?

Depends on the acoustical environment.

Regards,

Ty Ford


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network