DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How critical is a shock mount on a DVX100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/11524-how-critical-shock-mount-dvx100.html)

Marcia Janine Galles July 2nd, 2003 12:05 AM

How critical is a shock mount on a DVX100?

So if I'm about to plunk down for an ME66/K6 setup, how critical is a shock mount (listed as an accessory nearly everywhere)? And which works best with the DVX? I assume I'd use that instead of the mount for an external mic that came with the DVX100? I'd prefer to not have anything on the hot shoe, as (in my fantasy world) I'd like to get a Frezzi with a dimmer and softbox down the line, which would go on the shoe. But nearly all the connections I see for audio, require using the hot shoe. Am I missing something? Does phantom power require that it goes through the hot shoe? Another reason to get the battery optional model, I guess.

And while I'm at it, what's the best cover for the ME66 indoors? I was looking at the Lightwave EQME66 for outdoors...

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for your patience with me.
Marcia

Barry Rivadue July 2nd, 2003 08:09 PM

Well, I'm a newbie DVX100 owner like you, and so far I find the included external mount for my ME66 perfectly acceptable at this time. I'm willing to hear all arguments. :)

Stas Tagios July 2nd, 2003 10:45 PM

I've been shooting with the DVX and ME66 since last November, and using the camera's mike mount. It's the easiest solution, yes, but I must admit that I've become incrasingly dissatisfied with this set-up, given how easy it is to accidentally bump the mike or camera or mike cable, and thus transmit unwanted handling noise to the sensitive ME66.

I'm especially aware of it now that I've gotten a better set of headphones than what I was using previously, with which I can now hear every little tiny knock and rap on the camera. Obviously, using the camera mike mount keeps your accessory shoe free, which is important if you want to use an on-camera light. Bear in mind that the shoe atop the handle is not "hot"; there's no power running through it. It's just an accessory shoe on which to mount lights, mikes, or whatever else.

I haven't yet looked into shock mounts, the few of which I've seen seeming like they would make the camera too cumbersome and conspicuous, especially for doc work where yo want to remain as unobtrusive as possible.

Ultimately, you can get decent sound with the mike in the camera mount, but be aware that any camera handling noise other than just holding the camera and focusing, could potentially get picked up. (Which proved especially irksome to me today, when I inadvertently forgot to switch my chan. 1 input to my wireless mike for about ten minutes, during which my shotgun was picking up all the noise of me moving the camera around to get various shots; I was thinking, "it's okay, since I've got a nice, clean wireless track to use," apparently not noticing via my headphones that my wireless wasn't going to tape 'cause of the wrong input switch setting. Argghh! That's what happens when you don't have a sound person.)

Jason Eustice July 6th, 2003 01:58 PM

it has been my experience that if you intend to use a pole for your shotgun (either now or for future reference) it is always better to use a shockmount. This is not a matter of your camera but a matter of the boom pole. If the pole is on a stand the wind can jar the mic and cause knocks in your audio. If the pole is handheld you are sure to have knocks in your audio as the boom pole operator gets tired and moves his hands around or anything can happen. A chock mount prevents 99% of knocks by seperating the mic from any stable contact with the pole.

Marty Wein July 6th, 2003 02:20 PM

If Audio is important enough to you, to invest in an ME66 set-up, then you should definitely add a shock-mount. If you will monitor your audio through a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones you will understand why.

Marcia Janine Galles July 6th, 2003 07:32 PM

Thanks all. Will definitely invest in a shock mount. See, this is why these boards are so great... I have a lot of post experience, but making the transition into production (esp the equipment decision making part), has been bumpy. I appreciate all the feedback. You've made it so that the dollars I have to spend are being spent more wisely.

Look forward to being as sage in my advice someday as all of you.

Marcia